Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-02-2020, 02:27 PM   #15
uvraise

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRomAniaN View Post
Thanks for the information. I'm going to brush it off today since we have nice weather. I honestly think it's from spraying belt conditioner on the belts. I may have forgotten the engine was warm...

I'm going to check the spark plug itself while I'm out there as well to ensure it's seated properly.
I think you're right. The aluminum oxide that has formed looks like a patter consistent with spraying something on the belts. Whatever you're using, I'd change it. I use simple green, heavy duty, the purple stuff, on my engine/bay and only on a cold block.

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
uvraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:41 PM   #16
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
You can retorque header bolts. As far as the aluminum i haven't heard it called exfoliation. I've always called it oxidation, but i could be wrong. It's normal. You can clean it and paint it to keep it pretty.
Just to clarify, exfoliation is what we call it at work when aluminum parts start to come apart in pieces. Your oxide statement is correct. We’re rebuilding DC3’s to turbines. We see a lot of exfoliating with the age of material we start with.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:47 PM   #17
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by uvraise View Post
I think you're right. The aluminum oxide that has formed looks like a patter consistent with spraying something on the belts. Whatever you're using, I'd change it. I use simple green, heavy duty, the purple stuff, on my engine/bay and only on a cold block.

I won’t be using conditioner again. Not even sure why I decided to use it. I went ahead and used the Chemical Guys orange degreaser. Worked great! Obviously cold engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2020, 08:51 PM   #18
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I wanted to give the thread an update.

Spark plug boot shake: I took the boot/insulator off and I was able to hand thread it off. I think that was the issue. I took it out by hand, cleaned the threads, and applied anti-seize to it. I put it back in and made sure all spark plugs were torqued down correctly. The only other one that seemed not as tight was the passenger side against the firewall (same as the driver side). I made sure all wires popped into both places. I didn’t turn the car on to check as I had just cleaned the engine. I’ll check tomorrow.

I scrubbed the white spots off the block with ease and decided to wash the whole engine bay. Turned out great! Not the best picture, but it’ll do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk