Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #113
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Those that matter will know the differnce between models. Those that don't, I hope they pull up alongside me and think I've got a stock V6!
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #114
fiascoes1
SoCalRaceTeam new-b!

Drives: 2012 ZL1/WHITE/BLACK STRIPE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
The concern is that the Top of the line - Cost a fortune Camaro ZL1 will look like a Joe Blow Camaro, that costs half the price.

That is not fair to the people paying top dollars and waiting 6 months for the ZL1. Also, if there's no model differentiation, the brand will fade away - not good for resale value therefore another blow in our face...not in Joe Blow's face.
69 Zl1 looked almost exactly the same as the other camaros except for the hood, their value didn't go down.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #115
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
There are a lot of reasons to do or not to do something, but if a maker is coming out with a program, then it shouldn't cut a great package short due to production constraints (eg: "well we can't because of" or "it costs xyz."). I don't see how a different wheel finishing pattern could affect a wheel's integrity (I've had wheels polished and refinished professionally in the past with excellent results). Yes, it will have a cost, but the camaros are stickering near 40k and 60k as is so why not? The average customer would not be affected by corporate costs in terms of production; Instead, most customers respond to a product that has been well carried out. I believe it will be in Chevy's best interest to find more cost effective methods to address some of the issues surrounding the Camaro that have hindered its performance against the Mustang. It seems to me that Ford is having less trouble giving their customers more variety and faster performance in the Mustang than Chevy seems to be doing with the Camaro.

I would rather see this generation Camaro exceed the Ford in performance, as opposed to playing catch up all thru its run. Ford is playing up their Mustang with a lot of aggression, and so far its payed off for them in faster performance with the Boss..(and probably in the Shelby GT500.....unless Chevy responds).

I agree with a lot of these points! I know the F-Bodyfather has to remember kicking all that Mustang butt in the 4th gen. I know we have the sales crown, but I will never be comfortable with Ford showing us up. The Boss 302 seems to be a ground up project. The 1LE seems to be a watered down ZL1. I think that hurts the 1LE and the ZL1 in the long run. I would have like to see the 1LE be a pkg for the SS, and the Boss's rival the Z/28. The Z could have a functional ram air hood (for boosted HP), custom wheels, center exhaust, recaro seats, several weight saving options, and unique decals and badging. I am keeping the faith the 1LE will have more to offer once it hits market? The 5.0 is beating the SS, on paper the Shelby is beating the ZL1, here is our chance to steal some thunder from the Boss project
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #116
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
Quote:
Fbodfather, PLEASE don't give the 1LE the same wheels as the ZL1. Paint them silver, yellow, chrome them etc - just don't make them the same. The exhaust can be made a dual instead of quad, by just changing the tips. It won't cost a fortune.

Just look at the competition, even the 2 Bosses don't have the same wheels and the Shelby is unique. We - ZL1 buyers, want to have a unique car not just the above average Joe's camaro.
Thanks for listening!
Exactly. I want to be different with the ZL1. Though the hood and what's under the hood is different, it will be too similar to the Zl1. With it taking the wheels, exhaust just takes the unique look away from the zl1 which I fell in love with

Make sure you don’t forget to subscribe to my channel! More content on the way. Like, share with your friends
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Z...sP2wjsLLFeP1zQ

Follow me on instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/snkeatr/
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #117
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
I honestly don't where some of your expectations come from and I am amazed that FBodfather continues to try to explain.

Do you really care what everyone else thinks? Do you need to have people see your car and say hey that is a really cool person because they have a car that looks different than everyone elses? Do you comb your hair or wear a certain pair of shoes just so people can say you have the coolest shoes?

You bought a ZL1? Enjoy it and drive it. Don't worry about how much a 1LE looks the same. Anyone who knows about them can tell the difference. Anyone that doesn't think we are all crazy anyway. They think it's a Camaro! 1LT, 1SS, 2SS, ZL1, Z28 .... none of that means anything to them.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #118
Ltdodge

Drives: 2008 Z06
Quote:
The concern is that the Top of the line - Cost a fortune Camaro ZL1 will look like a Joe Blow Camaro, that costs half the price.

That is not fair to the people paying top dollars and waiting 6 months for the ZL1. Also, if there's no model differentiation, the brand will fade away - not good for resale value therefore another blow in our face...not in Joe Blow's face.
exactly how i feel about the grandsport.......looks just like a z06
Old 03-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #119
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
I honestly don't where some of your expectations come from and I am amazed that FBodfather continues to try to explain.

Do you really care what everyone else thinks? Do you need to have people see your car and say hey that is a really cool person because they have a car that looks different than everyone elses? Do you comb your hair or wear a certain pair of shoes just so people can say you have the coolest shoes?

You bought a ZL1? Enjoy it and drive it. Don't worry about how much a 1LE looks the same. Anyone who knows about them can tell the difference. Anyone that doesn't think we are all crazy anyway. They think it's a Camaro! 1LT, 1SS, 2SS, ZL1, Z28 .... none of that means anything to them.

I respectfully disagree. If I just wanted more (hidden) power, I would have bought an SS and tuned it to 600hp for much less. If I wanted a "regular" car, i would have bought the "regular" camaro. I want a "different" car so I picked the ZL1. Therefore, I don't expect to see herds of "similar" camaros on the road..
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #120
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
I have to agree on the colored calipers - I have the calipers on my SS powdercoated IOM and it adds SO much to the visual aspect of the car.

Would be really nice if we had the option to choose caliper color to match the paint scheme - especially if the colored calipers are going to be on the 1LE.
Modern07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #121
2ndCamaro79

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. If I just wanted more (hidden) power, I would have bought an SS and tuned it to 600hp for much less. If I wanted a "regular" car, i would have bought the "regular" camaro. I want a "different" car so I picked the ZL1. Therefore, I don't expect to see herds of "similar" camaros on the road..

A car does not become a Legend by being apart of the crowd. Yes the first ZL1 was a sleeper, but all Camaros were unique back then because they were so new. The design was radical and the world had seen nothing like it before. That being said the most remembered 1st gen Camaros are probably the Z/28s with the RS pkg(a what you would call flashy pkg). Being unique is what makes America so great! Our cars became Legends because they were loud, had huge chrome bumpers and tail fins the size of a plane. The American automobile industry did not rise to power by blending in, in fact they did the exact opposite they stood out. Happy Dan I respect your points, but you don't become a leader by following. You might be better suited buying a Toyota they all look the same
Old 03-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #122
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Quote:
Thank you, I can see your point of view, but I would think the things that make a ZL1 a ZL1 are not just the engine. You can't them either, but it's the MR suspension, coolers, brakes etc. that make it special. You can't add mods to an SS to get that and my point is that anyone that doesn't know all this won't matter to have some subtle differences either. Different wheels would hardly be noticed by the Prius driver next to you at the light.

Thanks for a reasonable discussion, I respect your opinion and really you can never be wrong when it's about an opinion.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #123
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Quote:

You're right, it might look similar but it will drive nothing similar to Joe Blow's Camaro. That's why you're spending the money....not for the looks...the performance. Plus I bet you guys aren't happy to be reading all the other threads on here about the LS LT SS owners switching to ZL1 front fascias, because they'll look similar to the ZL1. And it seems there are a lot of people doing it too (although I like the LT and SS fascias just as well with mods).

Oh and you don't want the 1LE to have the quad exhaust and look like the ZL1....or....the Nissan Maxima. Haha.

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #124
Drake Heminger

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51
The 1LE is the poor man's ZL1! LOL JKJKJKJK! Sweet car and I hope it eats that 302!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #125
2ndCamaro79

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_RS View Post
You're right, it might look similar but it will drive nothing similar to Joe Blow's Camaro. That's why you're spending the money....not for the looks...the performance. Plus I bet you guys aren't happy to be reading all the other threads on here about the LS LT SS owners switching to ZL1 front fascias, because they'll look similar to the ZL1. And it seems there are a lot of people doing it too (although I like the LT and SS fascias just as well with mods).

Oh and you don't want the 1LE to have the quad exhaust and look like the ZL1....or....the Nissan Maxima. Haha.
I don't mind people doing whatever they want to their car. Its a free country, but it is nice when the HALO car has its own unique parts. I am in no way arguing that there will not be a performance difference in the 1LE and ZL1. When I order mine, I am spending the money for the looks and the performance. I would not be interested in a 1LS with a LSA, and mag shocks.

What is soo wrong with the 1LE having its own wheels, and center exhaust?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #126
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
I don't mind people doing whatever they want to their car. Its a free country, but it is nice when the HALO car has its own unique parts. I am in no way arguing that there will not be a performance difference in the 1LE and ZL1. When I order mine, I am spending the money for the looks and the performance. I would not be interested in a 1LS with a LSA, and mag shocks.

What is soo wrong with the 1LE having its own wheels, and center exhaust?
Yo I don't think there would be anything wrong with them making the 1LE dramatically or subtly different than the zL1. I understand your point. I was just playing the devil's advocate...or so to speak...on the subject.

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote