Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
Fireslayer

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Trading in a tuned car....any experience on what to expect?

I'm thinking about either selling or trading in my 2010 2ss/rs Camaro. The car has 36K miles, Dynatech LT's with high flow cats, a CAI brand filter with an air scoop.

The car was dyno tuned with HP tuners with a tranny tune as well. The car runs great with no issues.

I'm wondering what to expect if I go to trade in the car as opposed to selling it on the private market.

I'm not looking to debate warranty issues with this thread as we all know how that will go.

Will a dealer still be interested in the trade at a "fair" price with the tune? I understand that the mods will be given away if I go this route.

Anyone have any experience with trading in their tuned car? I would fully disclose the tune with the paperwork to the dealer.

My other thought is just trying to sell it as is on Ebay for a "good deal" for someone. Thanks!
Fireslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
You shouldn't have any problem trading it in. But I always like to try and sell on my own first and get more for it.

I've sold a bunch of cars on AutoTrader.com I think it's way better than E-bay.

GLWS
Old 03-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Depends on the laws in you area. If your car is legal they will prolly give you around blue book. Always best to take the mods off and sell them.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Why even bother telling them?? Show them the car and see what they say. If they directly ask if it has a tune tell them. If they don't I'm sure they will find out at some point. Don't just tell them as it will hurt you. The dealer wouldn't tell you if it would hurt them so why help them hurt you??
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
Fireslayer

I know I'd be much better off selling the mods myself. I'd probably stand to get over $1K for the LT's, high flow, and the stainless CAI. I also have a sub thump brand wheel well sub and amp.

I really don't want to spend the better part of a day switching the exhaust back!

I think I might try Ebay with the mods and as is. The car is so much better with the performance upgrades and tunes compared to stock--L99 car.

The thought of putting it back to stock would make me think it would be harder to sell on my own.

I've been looking at Ebay "sold" prices and I'm pretty sure I could fetch around $23,500-$24,000 as the car sits.

If anyone has more info on trading a tuned car in I'd like to hear it!

Thanks for the input gentlemen....
Old 03-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
Fireslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
Why even bother telling them?? Show them the car and see what they say. If they directly ask if it has a tune tell them. If they don't I'm sure they will find out at some point. Don't just tell them as it will hurt you. The dealer wouldn't tell you if it would hurt them so why help them hurt you??
Personally, I'd rather tell them than have to deal with any "failure to disclose" issues that "could" arise in the future.

I don't know all the laws with things like this but a little less on the trade in is money well spent by not having to worry.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Nothing is going to happen once you sign those papers and the car over to them.

If it was me, I'd sign it to them....and the respectfully tell them there are long tubes, the car is tuned, ect. Just so they know exactly what the just bought.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
captaincog

Drives: 1971 350RS/SS 4sp
Based on my past experiences any mods will usually de-value it as a trade in. I would suggest removing the mods and taking it back to stock. Some of my friends have had de-modding parties and trade the performance parts for stock and then trade off the ride. Works better and you do not lose as much money.
1971 RS/SS 350 4 speed Teal Green

Last edited by captaincog; 03-17-2013 at 11:56 PM.
captaincog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #9
Fireslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
Nothing is going to happen once you sign those papers and the car over to them.

If it was me, I'd sign it to them....and the respectfully tell them there are long tubes, the car is tuned, ect. Just so they know exactly what the just bought.
They will know it has LT's the minute they start it up
Old 03-18-2013, 12:04 AM   #10
TheGhosty

Drives: '11 SW 1LT RS
try carmax, they dont care about anything. most of the time they just auction it off anyway.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #11
Fireslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhosty View Post
try carmax, they dont care about anything. most of the time they just auction it off anyway.
Never had any personal experience with Carmax but a few people I know who've sold to them have practically given their cars away. I will still inquire.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #12
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
Traded my Gxp in, custom intake, exhaust and tune with the dod disabled. Never asked, never told
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #13
gmen09

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ls3
If you sell your cai I'm interested, and I would take off the mods and try to sell it privately first, you will definetly get more, just be clear that it has no warranty before you sell it, because some people don't even think about modding there car and just expect when something breaks to bring it in and it will be covered. But definetly sell privately you'll get a lot more.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #14
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
Why even bother telling them??

I'm pretty sure there are disclosure laws that could really bite you in the ass if there's a problem down the road. especially if a future owner goes to make a warranty claim only to find out it's voided because of a tune they weren't informed of.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote