Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-27-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Heater Core/HVAC Assembly

All,

My interior is stripped down. Dash is out. Frame within the dash is out. Windshield hasn't been touched. Now I just need help getting to the heater core. I have no idea how to get to it now that this black box is in my way. Also, what are the steps to swapping out the heater core? Do I need to drain coolant? From where and how much? Thanks for all of your help in advance. Hopefully someone has access to a service manual.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
wait you got that far and now your asking questions?
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
StlRomAniaN

Yes. Main question is how this box needs to come off. Disregard the question regarding how much coolant.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
Chevrolade
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Damm so u can remove the dash without having to remove the windshield ?
Chevrolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
StlRomAniaN

Yessir. It's possible with a creative mind.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:16 AM   #6
StlRomAniaN

BUMP.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:48 AM   #7
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
When I get to work Monday I will look up exactly what GM says if you haven't figured it out by then. Maybe shoot me a PM then so I don't forget
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:11 AM   #8
Caswell239

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Air Conditioning and Heater Module Assembly Removal and Installation

Caswell239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:12 AM   #9
Caswell239

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Heater Core Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the HVAC module assembly. Refer to Air Conditioning and Heater Module Assembly Removal and Installation (See: Housing Assembly HVAC\Service and Repair\Air Conditioning and Heater Module Assembly).

1. Remove the heater core cover screws (2).
  2. Remove the heater core cover.

1. Remove the heater core (4).
Installation Procedure

1. Install the heater core (4).

1. Install the heater core cover.
Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution (See: Service Precautions\Vehicle Damage Warnings\Fastener Caution).

1. Install the heater core cover screws (1) and tighten to 1.5 Nm (13 lb in) .
  2. Install the HVAC module assembly. Refer to Air Conditioning and Heater Module Assembly Removal and Installation (See: Housing Assembly HVAC\Service and Repair\Air Conditioning and Heater Module Assembly).
Caswell239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:41 AM   #10
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRomAniaN View Post
All,

My interior is stripped down. Dash is out. Frame within the dash is out. Windshield hasn't been touched. Now I just need help getting to the heater core. I have no idea how to get to it now that this black box is in my way. Also, what are the steps to swapping out the heater core? Do I need to drain coolant? From where and how much? Thanks for all of your help in advance. Hopefully someone has access to a service manual.
You, my young friend, are very ambitious. And to think, you creatively tear your dashboard apart and then ask, 'What the hell am I doing?'. If you are going to get that adventuresome, I suggest you buy a shop manual.

"This is not your father's Oldsmobile". There's a lot more to these cars than just digging in and finding the suspected part. Electronics and advanced engineering of parts has changed the whole game for "shade-tree mechanics".
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #11
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
I'm with Palmer, I can't believe all the people that start major surgury on their Camaros with nothing to go by. I don't know if people underestimate the complexity of these cars, overestimate their own abilities, or just don't know where to get good manuals. So for anyone doing any work that requires significant disassembly do yourself a favor and get access to the manual. I get a subscription for my cars on alldatadiy.com. You get access to the exact same info that a GM dealer has. You can get a one or five year subscription and additional vehicles are cheaper. For me it's well worth it just in time and frustration saved, but if you break one part it will cost you more that the manual. Just my two cents.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #12
StlRomAniaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
You, my young friend, are very ambitious. And to think, you creatively tear your dashboard apart and then ask, 'What the hell am I doing?'. If you are going to get that adventuresome, I suggest you buy a shop manual.

"This is not your father's Oldsmobile". There's a lot more to these cars than just digging in and finding the suspected part. Electronics and advanced engineering of parts has changed the whole game for "shade-tree mechanics".
I did not creatively tear my dashboard apart. I was referring to the two bolts that go into the tie bar. Also, I did not say "What the hell am I doing?" All I did was ask for the drawing of the box to see how many bolts are in the back of the HVAC box.

Sounds like buying a shop manual is quite easy for you. You have to remember that everyone is not in the same place financially. I can't afford taking my car to the dealership to get fixed nor to buy a shop manual. This is why I'm apart of such a great forum. To get helped out when I need a bit of clarification on a part or two by a fellow member, not to get bashed because I'm asking for some help. I'm quite shocked by the negative response...
Old 09-29-2014, 08:11 PM   #13
StlRomAniaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
I'm with Palmer, I can't believe all the people that start major surgury on their Camaros with nothing to go by. I don't know if people underestimate the complexity of these cars, overestimate their own abilities, or just don't know where to get good manuals. So for anyone doing any work that requires significant disassembly do yourself a favor and get access to the manual. I get a subscription for my cars on alldatadiy.com. You get access to the exact same info that a GM dealer has. You can get a one or five year subscription and additional vehicles are cheaper. For me it's well worth it just in time and frustration saved, but if you break one part it will cost you more that the manual. Just my two cents.
I received directions on the dash from a fellow member prior to disassembly. All I was asking was for clarification on how to get the HVAC box apart, as I did not see the 4 screws on the rear of the assembly. Again, shocked by the negative response. Camaro5 used to be a more cheerful place before. Thanks to all that have helped me. God bless you all.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #14
Midnight Rat

Drives: SS 1LE
You are doing a great job, don't let the assholes distract you from doing a great job.
Midnight Rat is offline   Reply With Quote