Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-24-2016, 10:02 AM   #43
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall421 View Post
High mileage GM fuel injected engine with no catch can.

An ounce of prevention is worth its weight in gold IMO.

I cleaned this TB and intake up well. Improved power and fuel mileage significantly.

I have had a catch can on my 2014 1LE since 200 miles. 9000 miles now and all still clean. I empty the catch can regularly.

Good post, and thanks for the picture.... worth a thousand words
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:24 AM   #44
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
Good post, and thanks for the picture.... worth a thousand words
Are you stating that this is common? And at how many miles would you expect to see this type of build up? I am very curious as to how you respond.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #45
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Even if the pics are photoshopped, even if your engine runs 300k miles without a CC, why does this conversation always turn into a 10+ page novel around here? SOME, NOT ALL, BUT SOME of us don't like blowing this crap back into our intakes, just that simple.

I suggest a moratorium on catch cans and CAIs on Camaro5 for at least six months.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #46
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Are you stating that this is common? And at how many miles would you expect to see this type of build up? I am very curious as to how you respond.

As am I as my questions were skipped as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
How is GM able to offer 5 year/100K mile powertrain warranty with all of these contaminants in the engine?

How do LS (or any motors) survive with out a catch can to 200K + miles?
My questions above

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzobian View Post
Even if the pics are photoshopped, even if your engine runs 300k miles without a CC, why does this conversation always turn into a 10+ page novel around here? SOME, NOT ALL, BUT SOME of us don't like blowing this crap back into our intakes, just that simple.

I suggest a moratorium on catch cans and CAIs on Camaro5 for at least six months.
Because all to often in the aftermarket we are "scared" into believe that if we don't do something than (enter worse case scenario here). This is hotly similar to the separate clutch and brake fluid reservoirs. ALL OEM and Tier suppliers run Validation testing (because we have to) for mileage that exceeds the average vehicle life. More often that not the parts will perform the same if not better than when new (even with contamination) and vehicles often make more WHP on a dyno as they get older.

You know how hard I run my 1LE....I have 19K miles, no catch can and not separate clutch reservoir. My intake manifold looks like new (when I swapped to a port TB recently) and I have not had a single clutch issue.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:19 PM   #47
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
Quote:
I have 19K miles, no catch can and not separate clutch reservoir.
What does your brake/clutch fluid look like ?
I'll bet its pretty black by now. I did the seperate reservoir mod and glad I did. The clutch gets very dirty and I change it often, very easy to do using a turkey baster.

Have a catch can too, empty it a couple times between changes. That oil in there would have gone through my engine, I just don't understand how this is disputed, no catch can = oil through intake.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:24 PM   #48
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Oh, I know how hard you run your car and you know that's the reason why I run almost everything I do to my car by you. I'm with you on the scare tactics too, we see them often. Iv'e been asked to be less "abrasive" a couple times, so I just shake my head and move on to another thread in many cases without commenting. In the case of the catch can though, I look at it as prevention. It's not hurting me to have one, it collects the oil it should, so it's worth it. Just the way I see it.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:48 PM   #49
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

I will take a pic of my fluid later.....

I never said a catch can doesn't help. I just like playing devils advocate so sheeple (not you) don't just follow the herd. It envokes thought that is so rarely used anymore. I also like to see companies defend or provide documentation that their product does what it say it will due vs posting stock photos of valves with build up. Those pics look similar to the ones the Shell puts on their gas pumps to scare you into using the higher octane gas. .
Old 03-24-2016, 02:05 PM   #50
Tunamanz

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Quote:
I will take a pic of my fluid later.....

I never said a catch can doesn't help. I just like playing devils advocate so sheeple (not you) don't just follow the herd. It envokes thought that is so rarely used anymore. I also like to see companies defend or provide documentation that their product does what it say it will due vs posting stock photos of valves with build up. Those pics look similar to the ones the Shell puts on their gas pumps to scare you into using the higher octane gas. .
People in the C5 community are putting thought into it that is why they are on the forum asking questions trying to learn the positives and negatives of whatever product they are thinking about using/installing. Forums give them the ability to not only discuss their thoughts and concerns with vendors but also with actual users of products which avoids them from becoming a "sheeple" as you put it to fall into some marketing scheme. Unfortunately in forums there are those who just want to bash posts instead of giving their positive or negative experiences regarding what the original poster was inquiring about. Just the nature of forums!
Tunamanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:48 PM   #51
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunamanz View Post
People in the C5 community are putting thought into it that is why they are on the forum asking questions trying to learn the positives and negatives of whatever product they are thinking about using/installing. Forums give them the ability to not only discuss their thoughts and concerns with vendors but also with actual users of products which avoids them from becoming a "sheeple" as you put it to fall into some marketing scheme. Unfortunately in forums there are those who just want to bash posts instead of giving their positive or negative experiences regarding what the original poster was inquiring about. Just the nature of forums!
I agree with what you have said, but I think what bothered me is that when manufacturer was asked direct questions, they opted to not answer. We all have opinions, and this has been a pretty constructive thread in terms of people sharing experiences on both sides of the fence. I just hate to see folks with less knowledge and experience than others scared into doing something with their money that actually nothing to be scared about in the first place.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:03 PM   #52
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I'm just about to hit 22K miles! Time to drain the CC this weekend, probably should have collected 7 ounces. I love the smell of that stuff!
Old 03-24-2016, 11:37 PM   #53
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Pictures like this always make me laugh! Three GM non-directed engine vehicles ('93 z/28, '01 WS6, '03 Tahoe), and all three lived to 200K miles or beyond. I had the air induction track off all three of these vehicles throughout the course of our owning them, and even in there at 200K or nearing 200K mileage did I ever see anything that came close to a throttle body that looked like this. What the hell are you guys doing, dumping a quart of oil into the air box each fill up to keep things lubed? We can not be driving our vehicles in any way different than most to have never seen anything like this. A slight sutty substance on the edge of the blade and on the throttle body at best, but nothing like this. And just to be clear, I understand that direct or non-direct has no effect on the condition of the throttle body. To me, there has to be something seriously wrong with an engine to produce this situation.
Interesting comments dude.. I posted the pics. That is on my 2009 Traverse at 220,000 miles. I just put new plugs and changed the air filter again when I took these pics. I have 7 cars, raced Dirt cars for 23 years, do all my own maintenance, change oil on all my cars at 3500-5000 miles. I know cars and engines and am extremely meticulous about my cars. Also have two college engineering degrees and am a self employed engineering consultant working with most of the car makers in Detroit.

You post questions my intelligence and abilities. Sorry, got that covered. This shit happens dude! Understanding the injection, PCV system, and intake system...makes perfect sense why and how it happens. Catch can not required...but helps.
Kendall421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:39 AM   #54
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
^^^^^^^
Well said.
I find it amazing on here how everyone that has a catch can, empties oil from it (a couple times between changes) gets it but yet, the ones that don't have one are so quick to criticise us. All that oil was definitely headed to the intake, I don't understand how that isn't clear
If you don't believe it (catch cans) then move on and let the people that are asking and wanting info to see and hear from us that do !
Old 03-25-2016, 08:17 AM   #55
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunamanz View Post
Forums give them the ability to not only discuss their thoughts and concerns with vendors but also with actual users of products which avoids them from becoming a "sheeple" as you put it to fall into some marketing scheme.
Marketing scheme = posting the same thing over and over in multiple forums (Click on his user name and look at threads he started....He is discredited from being an unbiased source on the forum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall421 View Post
Catch can not required...but helps.
This 100%.....This is all I was getting at.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:09 AM   #56
Tunamanz

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
[QUOTE=Dropspeed;8990144]Marketing scheme = posting the same thing over and over in multiple forums (Click on his user name and look at threads he started....He is discredited from being an unbiased source on the forum)

Discredited because I put together some catch can videos of installs on my cars to help the community understand how to install them correctly? These were the first videos that I ever did and was proud of them. Yes they got posted in a few sections of the forum so they could reach people who never venture out into other sections. Was that wrong of me to promote install videos that way, I don't know, but if it was I apologize and wish that I could get them in the right section(s). You were the only one offended by this and many others have enjoyed and appreciated the help! So if you want to discredit me because I am trying to help those in the community versus trolling and slamming member's posts then so be it.

You seem to imply that I am a vendor hiding under my screen name and that is so far from the truth. Careful jumping to conclusions and accusing members for being someone that they are not! I am in no way affiliated with Elite or any other company and only gave them props because they stepped up for the group buy that I put together and it was their products that were getting installed. I purchased my two catch cans just like everyone else in the group buy. I made videos of my installs, sent them to Elite as that was my end of the deal for putting together a group buy, and I posted them here for the greater community.

Personally I could care less if anyone buys a catch can or not, but if they do I have videos that can help them out with their install. I chose to do so and the product does what it was intended to do. Will your car run for 200K miles without one, sure. Will your car run more optimal at 200K with one, sure. It is a mod that some choose to do and some choose not to do so to each their own. If it gives a member piece of mind to have one then that is his choice and doesn't mean he is right or wrong for doing so. Their car, their money, their mods!
Tunamanz is offline   Reply With Quote