Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-18-2016, 09:53 AM   #1
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
ZL1 or 3DCarbon Spoiler

Hey all.

I'm looking to get a different spoiler on my 2010 SS. It's about time that it gets upgraded after adding my splitter. I've noticed some guys out in the UAE that have the 3DCarbon spoiler and it looks quite good. It's very ZL1-like, but the benefit here is that it's flush mount so I won't have to deal with the three unused holes under the third brake light. Let me know your thoughts.

Ps. - From what I've heard, the 3DCarbon spoiler attaches via 3M tape (only). I will be modifying it to use bolts. It shouldn't be all too difficult so don't worry about adding this to the "con" list of your opinion. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2016, 09:55 AM   #2
StlRomAniaN

3DCarbon spoiler is on the light blue Camaro, as I'm sure all of you know.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2016, 10:10 AM   #3
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
They're both gorgeous spoilers. I've had both. 1st one that went in was the 3dCarbon and I wore that one for a couple of years. Great quality and great fit - ordered it from Phastekperformance.com, painted to match (and match it did).

Second one and the one I'm wearing is the ZL1. It is thinner and a bit smaller than the 3dCarbon and I ordered mine black gloss. I love it but yes - now you'll have to deal with the holes. The way I dealt with that is by installing some Silver Ice vinyl over them and they worked great.

Also - the ZL1 version has the rear tail light which I like better when compared to the 3dCarbon.

As for price, I believe you can get a painted ZL1 Spoiler for cheaper than the 3dCarbon.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:21 AM   #4
StlRomAniaN

Tough tough tough. I would also add $50 to the cost of the ZL1 eBay spoilers so that you can get the harness for the third brake light.

I was thinking of putting tape over the holes, flipping the trunk lid, and jb welding the holes. Touch-up paint afterwards to finish it.

Can you post pictures of your car when you had each spoiler for comparison sake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
StlRomAniaN

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the two spoilers. Actually, it's a top-by-bottom comparison, but that doesn't sound right.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #6
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Have you thought about the Z/28 spoiler from DAR/ASC or ACS??
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #7
StlRomAniaN

They are too tall for my liking. More drag and less trap speed

Old 07-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Here is my Cars Phat Azz. Zl1 ebay spoiler came painted, and it matched well even with it being crystal claret pearl tri coat known more as crystal red metallic. It came with the wire long enough to patch in the light easy.

Just used epoxy to fill the holes through loosening the cover to reach the holes pressing it from inside behind the locking mech, then covered with black vinyl in a shape to fill the void .

It does require drilling holes nothing too hard with a good marker and the template. The epoxy fills the old holes not used with the now additional third brake light that become visible when removing the stock SS spoiler that comes with the 2ss. Anyway that's what I did quick and easy and cheap. I also applied touch up paint to the exposed surface of the epoxy coming through the holes after having leveled it off flush under the vinyl and let thoroughly dry before the vinyl, I use the wet application method.

Last edited by christianchevell; 07-18-2016 at 06:04 PM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:27 PM   #9
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRomAniaN View Post
Tough tough tough. I would also add $50 to the cost of the ZL1 eBay spoilers so that you can get the harness for the third brake light.

I was thinking of putting tape over the holes, flipping the trunk lid, and jb welding the holes. Touch-up paint afterwards to finish it.

Can you post pictures of your car when you had each spoiler for comparison sake?

Here are a few pics... and christianchevell, I think I got the idea of the vinyl from you...

I do love the curves on the ZL1 spoiler more than I do on the 3dCarbon... it goes better with my hood.

Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:52 PM   #10
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post

It looks damn sharp!