Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #1
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Uneven Brake Pad Wear

All,

I heard some squealing so I checked my brakes yesterday. The rears are gone. I'll end up getting new pads and rotors back there. Anyways, the front pads still have life to them.

However, the wear of the driver side front inner pad had significantly more life than my passenger side front inner pad. They were replaced at the same time, obviously. The wheel/rotor has more resistance if I spin it wheel of fortune style. It stops much soon than my driver side wheel. It seems to me like the pistons in the caliper aren't retracting like they should. Is that the case? What needs to be done?

I appreciate your input!

Ps - I'm just looking for an excuse to get the 6-piston CTS-V calipers.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
When I road course my 1LE, my rear rotors will be a lot hotter than my front if I do the session in the wrong stabilitrack mode. If the stabilitrack is on and you're throwing it around corners sideways or spinning the rears on corner exit, the computer will be pumping those rear brakes hard. Which really eats up the rear pads fast.

When I remember to put it in track mode, rear rotor temp goes way down when I shoot the rotors with an infrared gun after the session.

I saw someone once do an entire HPDE day, six sessions... all leaving the TC/Stabilitrack fully on. His rear pads were down to metal at the end of the day.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:22 AM   #3
partlowr

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
Uneven brake wear can be a result of many different things. It can be a sign of suspension issues or tire pressure issues. Lets say you have a bad shock or spring on one corner, that can result in an uneven weight load distribution which can cause that brake to wear more than at the other corners. It can also be a an issue with that specific brake caliper or a kink in a brake line somewhere which reduces the amount of pressure to a caliper which will make the other calipers work harder and thus wear out the pads quicker.

Last edited by partlowr; 04-24-2017 at 10:36 AM.
partlowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:25 AM   #4
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
about all you can do is lubricate the pins so the pads can slide better. it doesn't look that bad.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:28 AM   #5
StlRomAniaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by partlowr View Post
Uneven brake wear can be a result of many different things. It can be a sign of suspension issues or tire pressure issues. Lets say you have a bad shock or spring on one corner, that can result in an uneven weight load distribution which will casus that brake to wear more than at the other corners. It can also be a an issue with that specific brake caliper or a kink in a brake line somewhere which reduces the amount of pressure to a caliper which will make the other calipers work harder and thus wear out the pads quicker.
The coilovers are good on the passenger front corner, along with the other corners. Brake lines are unkinked as well. Tire pressures are always at 36 psi cold. I check that often. Suspension is all intact as well. I also check this a lot and get alignments done once every ~3 months.

With that being said, I'm isolating the issue to a caliper-specific issue.

Actually, I started another thread not too long ago that involved my car doing a side to side shimmy under acceleration/load, regardless of speed. Could it be possible that my inner passenger front pistons are engaging slightly causing this? It's kind of out there, but who knows.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #6
StlRomAniaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
about all you can do is lubricate the pins so the pads can slide better. it doesn't look that bad.
Alright. That's a good idea as well. I'll lubricate the pins sufficiently on the new pin kit I'm about to order for the new 6-piston CTS-V Brembos.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:40 AM   #7
partlowr

Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRomAniaN View Post
The coilovers are good on the passenger front corner, along with the other corners. Brake lines are unkinked as well. Tire pressures are always at 36 psi cold. I check that often. Suspension is all intact as well. I also check this a lot and get alignments done once every ~3 months.

With that being said, I'm isolating the issue to a caliper-specific issue.

Actually, I started another thread not too long ago that involved my car doing a side to side shimmy under acceleration/load, regardless of speed. Could it be possible that my inner passenger front pistons are engaging slightly causing this? It's kind of out there, but who knows.
It sounds like you know what you are doing but are you sure you have the coil-over set for equal weight distribution? Did you have it corner balanced with you sitting in the drivers seat? Corner blancing is the only way to know for sure. Coil-overs are obviously awesome, they allow for so much more of a fine tuned set-up but if your set-up is off it become more exaggerated than with a traditional shock/strut/spring set-up.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:46 AM   #8
partlowr

http://www.knowyourparts.com/technic...ad-wear-chart/
Old 04-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #9
StlRomAniaN

Quote:
It sounds like you know what you are doing but are you sure you have the coil-over set for equal weight distribution? Did you have it corner balanced with you sitting in the drivers seat? Corner blancing is the only way to know for sure. Coil-overs are obviously awesome, they allow for so much more of a fine tuned set-up but if your set-up is off it become more exaggerated than with a traditional shock/strut/spring set-up.
I've had my coilovers for 5+ years now. The front pads that are currently on my car are my second set. The first set were on the car when I had coilovers as well and there was no irregular wear like I see now. The big giveaway is the extra resistance of the passenger front wheel compared to the driver front wheel (obviously up in the air). Coilovers are equal to each other across. Not cornerbalanced, but most people aren't. Lots of preload as well so there's minimal drop on the driver side, if any, once I get in.

I appreciate you bringing up different ideas. It's good to explore all possibilities.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:58 AM   #10
StlRomAniaN

Quote:
Looking at this, it looks like most of these scenarios are for pads on the same caliper. My example is for the same position (inboard), but different calipers. That's a helpful link though.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:20 AM   #11
partlowr

Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRomAniaN View Post
Looking at this, it looks like most of these scenarios are for pads on the same caliper. My example is for the same position (inboard), but different calipers. That's a helpful link though.
I'm out of ideas, best of luck, I hope you get it sorted.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:29 AM   #12
StlRomAniaN

Quote:
I'm out of ideas, best of luck, I hope you get it sorted.

Thanks! I'll be sure to post what I find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #13
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
Stupid question here...

Is this required when doing the brakes on these cars?

I just put my brand new Stop Tech slotted/drilled kit on last weekend with new Street pads, all 4 wheels. It came with all new hardware - pins/retainers. I did NOT lube the new pins at all.

Not having any issues. This is the 1st brake job I have done on my Camaro and wasn't aware this was needed. I did step 1 of the bed-in process, according to Stop Tech. They ask for an at least 2 step bed process. 60-10mph @ 80% brake pressure, 10 cycles - followed by a cooling period without stopping the car, is considered 1 step.

If it IS required, I will go ahead and pull out the pins and lube them up before I do the next bedding. I was in such a hurry to get these on (work day) that I didn't even think of this.

over!
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #14
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Stupid question here...

Is this required when doing the brakes on these cars?

I just put my brand new Stop Tech slotted/drilled kit on last weekend with new Street pads, all 4 wheels. It came with all new hardware - pins/retainers. I did NOT lube the new pins at all.

Not having any issues. This is the 1st brake job I have done on my Camaro and wasn't aware this was needed. I did step 1 of the bed-in process, according to Stop Tech. They ask for an at least 2 step bed process. 60-10mph @ 80% brake pressure, 10 cycles - followed by a cooling period without stopping the car, is considered 1 step.

If it IS required, I will go ahead and pull out the pins and lube them up before I do the next bedding. I was in such a hurry to get these on (work day) that I didn't even think of this.

over!

You really should lube them for the long run.. early on not a big deal but the heat and weather will get to them and why things like this happen.. I would use a brake specific grease. They are typically synthetic and rated for the heat. No rush if you just did it.. More happens over time. Very common to be forgotten.
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote