Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-23-2021, 09:09 AM   #29
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
OP. It is your money and your car. Do what you want. If you want a simple setup that will give you a problem free 550+ RWHP that can be installed and tuned within a few days, then keep it simple and get a supercharger. Most vendors have specials and rebates and you can get some really good deals on them. If you wanna blow up your engine and spend more money than you have to and end up with a headache, then go turbo. But at least with a turbo, it'll be really cool for the 2 weeks that it runs well before the engine logs off.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:42 AM   #30
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
What the Hell are you talking about? I couldn't care less about your 25 years doing whatever or what you and some kid ran at the track. OP asked a simple question and there is a simple answer. Between the power adders, without a doubt, a supercharger will be the best, easiest, most cost friendly, most user friendly, easiest to tune, easiest to troubleshoot, have the best support, and most upgradeable hands down. There is a reason why there are an effing hell of a lot more of us out here with superchargers than with TURBOS. And there is a reason why vendors sell superchargers probably 5 to 1 over TURBOS if not more than that. heck there used to be a time when turbo systems had to be built upon order because nobody bought them. In fact, there were several companies that actually had to custom make your turbo kit meaning you had to drop your car off there and they actually had to build it specifically for your car and that was because nobody bought them. Any company that made them ahead of time probably had those boxes sitting and collecting dust for years. A turbo on a stock bottom end car is nothing more than a cool looking way to spend more money, have the same HP, possibly blow your engine to kingdom come, have a lot more technical issues, and way more individual part failures. But hey, for all the headache at least you'll be the only one at the meet who can say you have a turbo. Probably because everyone else was smart enough to just get a supercharger. But hey, bragging rights.

It matters how long I’ve been dealing with turbos & you haven’t because it adds validation to one opinion over the other. You make blanket statements based on ignorance & misconceptions. It’s been no different for the 25yrs because I’ve been dealing with people that spout off nonsense like you for that long when you don’t know what you are talking about.

Not disagreeing that a belt driven supercharger isn’t easier, & perhaps cheaper (that’s a subjective extrapolation), but that depends on what the OP’s capabilities are.

I can build a twin turbo system for less than I can buy a belt supercharger. That’s why I started doing it 25yrs ago. I’ve built dozens between ones for myself & others. Therefore it is, indeed, more cost effective. Can the OP? Don’t know, but I’m not going to assume his limitations. You are obviously limited in your capabilities so you project that on to others.

Just because the masses do something more than something else doesn’t make it better. That’s where your limited experience on the matter disqualifies you from speaking on the subject when you do not speak from a position of experience.

Perhaps you personally have done many types of blower set-ups & tuned them (I’ve done my fair share of those as well) so you can speak to that aspect, & that’s fine. It’s when you cross over & give an opinion based on a lack of knowledge that is an issue. Especially when that opinion includes false information & is incorrect. Then when you get called out on your inexperience you double down & make excuses why you don’t know what you obviously don’t know & prove your opinion is based on a lack of knowledge.

Quote:
25 years of experience and all you can recite is the most basic information that everyone already knows. Wow.
What else needed to be stated? If you know why do you still speak incorrectly.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:02 AM   #31
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
25 years of experience and all you can recite is the most basic information that everyone already knows. Wow.
Just drop it Blaq he's right everybody else is wrong. He's "old school" and stuck in his ways with his exhaust driven superchargers.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:07 AM   #32
jonholloway500

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2ss
Quote:
OP. It is your money and your car. Do what you want. If you want a simple setup that will give you a problem free 550+ RWHP that can be installed and tuned within a few days, then keep it simple and get a supercharger. Most vendors have specials and rebates and you can get some really good deals on them. If you wanna blow up your engine and spend more money than you have to and end up with a headache, then go turbo. But at least with a turbo, it'll be really cool for the 2 weeks that it runs well before the engine logs off.
Thank you so much for your help! I had little understanding going into this, but y'all really helped. I had one last question... after learning all this I did a bit of research and am looking at a 2650 Magnuson supercharger. Is that one you would recommend?
jonholloway500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:07 AM   #33
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2021, 10:17 AM   #34
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
Just drop it Blaq he's right everybody else is wrong. He's "old school" and stuck in his ways with his exhaust driven superchargers.
I’m not saying everyone is wrong. Im saying what you & he said about turbos is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonholloway500 View Post
Thank you so much for your help! I had little understanding going into this, but y'all really helped. I had one last question... after learning all this I did a bit of research and am looking at a 2650 Magnuson supercharger. Is that one you would recommend?
It is an excellent blower. It will make good power.

So you know, everything he says about turbos is complete nonsense.

Here is a thread by Jannetty Racing, a well respected sponsor & tuner on this site. If turbos were as bad as he makes them out to be why would Janetty even bother doing it, & then, when you watch the video listen to the praise he gives it. This is from a man with experience on the subject matter.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521513
Old 03-23-2021, 10:48 AM   #35
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK21SS View Post
Why so much trolling by you today? If you dislike it here so much, you can always sign out and leave.
I think I'll flood general with topics that have been discussed 100x. By the end of the week there will be another idiot starting a "what exhaust to buy" thread. Any useful information that people post gets lost into the forum abyss by countless, repetitive threads. But please, continue.....
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:48 AM   #36
Wobble Goat

Drives: Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonholloway500 View Post
2300 Magnuson Supercharger Kit = $7000.00 = 10-12 psi

2650 Magnuson Supercharger Kit = $7900.00 = 12-16 psi

Bang for the buck 2300 will get you to the 550-600 rwhp.
2650 will get you there as well but to utilize the capabilities of the 2650 you will need an upgraded fuel pump. And realistically you should upgrade the "bottom end" of the engine at that point.

If keeping the LT1 engine stock, keep in mind the LT1 with stock internals does not like going above 650rwhp. (research LT1 piston failure)
So again how much money do you want to spend to break your engine?

This is where people ask what are your end goals? If you want a 700+ monster you'll get advice on how to spend money ONCE. It'll cost more initially, but its cheaper than buying 1 part, then buying another, then breaking stuff, then spending even more.

If you want a 550 - 600 rwhp street car, no need to waste money buying "over the top" products for the intended goal / budget.

And one other thing not being mentioned, catalytic converters that are designed to withstand boost. If you run forced induction on stock cats, good chance they will fail and worst case scenario they clog which can cause engine failure. Thanks to EPA bs going on you won't find "catless" pipes easily right now to avoid the issue / expense. So expect another $800ish on that.
Wobble Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #37
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I agree...However I believe Factory cats are fine at lower boost levels with correct tuning. Shouldn't have any issue bolting on a 2300 kit @ 6-7psi on a otherwise stock car.

I would do LT4 fuel system, low boost setup (6psi) and flex sensor. Run E60 in the summer or weekends. Then switch back to pump 93 during the week commute if it's a daily(If need be due to availability). These engines crave octane when being ran hard.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA

Last edited by KingLT1; 03-23-2021 at 11:36 AM.
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:24 AM   #38
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobble Goat View Post

2300 Magnuson Supercharger Kit = $7000.00 = 10-12 psi
2650 Magnuson Supercharger Kit = $7900.00 = 12-16 psi
I see you qualified this a bit but $7900 for the 2650 is only the INITIAL expense. There's other costs for other parts that accompany this blower and $12k is a more realistic build cost.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:36 AM   #39
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I see you qualified this a bit but $7900 for the 2650 is only the INITIAL expense. There's other costs for other parts that accompany this blower and $12k is a more realistic build cost.
Janetty’s 2650 kit, which includes some very good upgrades, is a few ticks over $10K.

He’d be able to get OP squared away quite nicely.

https://jannettyracing.com/collectio...2018-camaro-ss
Old 03-23-2021, 11:42 AM   #40
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Lol at the misconception of turbos in this thread. A turbo kit is going to be more expensive because right now there are only twin kits so you have to buy two of everything, if someone releases a single kit it will be around the same price or less than a supercharger. Turbos also do not stress the crank like superchargers do and running boost can be controlled via solenoid so you don't have to swap pulleys to change boost levels. I can add a turbo kit and run 3 pound wastegate springs if I want and make 3 pounds of boost, which won't blow my motor like stated. Lol.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 12:11 PM   #41
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I twin turboed a 2013 SS 1LE. I have owned 2 PD (Supercharger) factory Camaros. And I have looked into centrifical blowers and ran against them many times with friends.

The twin Turbo SS was fun but it was expensive with a mess of parts and not much low end torque. But big MPH. At Atco many I ran with said they heard me coming. But I have to say I enjoyed that 1LE more as bolt on car rather than a TT. And due to the explosive mid range power my friend put my 1LE shiny side down on a race track. Luckily my friend was fine but the 1LE no so much.

Something to watch out on the Turbo front. There is the idea of an electric helper to spin the turbos and bring down the power band. Still even more complexity and $$.

Centrifical blowers act a lot like Turbos but fit better under many hoods and I think overall the cheapest of the three, other opinions may vary.

I think more people would enjoy the PD blower the most. A number of tuners agree. But here too opinions vary. Instant power everywhere. I would guess they are a little more expensive than centris. PDs also are the hardest on the motor, so you can't go too big without beefing up the engine like the LT4 in the ZL1. You can also use the LT4 blower to loer the cost. But it is small and generates a ton of heat unless stick with the stock pulleys.

My recomendation is if you are sure a blower is in your future I would sell the current Camaro to CarMax and pick up a lightly used base ZL1. Stock they are rock solid, even with miles. And they just may be the best somewhat affordable all around supercar and GT ride on the planet. You know you want one. Used cars just makes more sense rather than torch your Camaros trade in value by installing a supercharger.

Last edited by Fraxum; 03-23-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 12:53 PM   #42
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I twin turboed a 2013 SS 1LE. I have owned 2 PD (Supercharger) factory Camaros. And I have looked into centrifical blowers and ran against them many times with friends.

The twin Turbo SS was fun but it was expensive with a mess of parts and not much low end torque. But big MPH. At Atco many I ran with said they heard me coming. But I have to say I enjoyed that 1LE more as bolt on car rather than a TT. And due to the explosive mid range power my friend put my 1LE shiny side down on a race track. Luckily my friend was fine but the 1LE no so much.

Something to watch out on the Turbo front. There is the idea of an electric helper to spin the turbos and bring down the power band. Still even more complexity and $$.

Centrifical blowers act a lot like Turbos but fit better under many hoods and I think overall the cheapest of the three, other opinions may vary.

I think more people would enjoy the PD blower the most. A number of tuners agree. But here too opinions vary. Instant power everywhere. I would guess they are a little more expensive than centris. PDs also are the hardest on the motor, so you can't go too big without beefing up the engine like the LT4 in the ZL1. You can also use the LT4 blower to loer the cost. But it is small and generates a ton of heat unless stick with the stock pulleys.

My recomendation is if you are sure a blower is in your future I would sell the current Camaro to CarMax and pick up a lightly used base ZL1. Stock they are rock solid, even with miles. And they just may be the best somewhat affordable all around supercar and GT ride on the planet. You know you want one. Used cars just make more sense.
Proper turbo sizing & exhaust system are crucial components.

Guy that used to work for me was a big import nut, a lot of his friends as well. They were all doing big T3/T4 set ups on their little 4-bangers. He asked me one day what he should do with his little DX V-TEC. I walked over to my used pile of parts & pulled out a little T3 & said, “We’ll throw this on there for ya.” “But that’s way smaller than what everyone else is doing.” “Yup.”

Made a manifold & DP for him & he picked up a used small little FMIC & an adjustable FMU off eBay. When it was done he smoked all of his buddies with that squirty bastard. While they were waiting to spool up he was gone. It was even his wife’s DD.

I agree on the ZL1 as an option, though I know it’s not for everyone, for obvious reasons.

Tags
boost, pro charger, speed, super charger, turbo charger