Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #15
TheInfamouSS
@LS.ACE

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 2SS/1LE
This is what I do at my shop (and all I do is tires... all i do.. yes it gets repetitive). I take brake clean and spray it on a rag or microfiber cloth and use that to saturate the glue (don't spray it directly to the wheel because it could damage paint). And then I use a Plastic Adhesive Wheel Weight Removal tool which can be had for like 6- bucks and use that to carefully push the glue off the wheel to not scratch it.

I am sure Goo Gone would work just as well, I would go with the same practice of applying it to a rag first before applying to the part where the goo was left on. But a good plastic wheel weight removal tool will help with scratching. Just be gentle.

This is for a 3m One From Amazon:

3M Wheel Weight Removal Tool

And this is a Mohawk one from Grainger which is the one we usually have at my shop

MOHAWK Plastic Adhesive Wheel Weight Removal Tool

Any more questions feel free to ask
TheInfamouSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:29 AM   #16
Pete G

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInfamouSS View Post
This is what I do at my shop (and all I do is tires... all i do.. yes it gets repetitive). I take brake clean and spray it on a rag or microfiber cloth and use that to saturate the glue (don't spray it directly to the wheel because it could damage paint). And then I use a Plastic Adhesive Wheel Weight Removal tool which can be had for like 6- bucks and use that to carefully push the glue off the wheel to not scratch it.

I am sure Goo Gone would work just as well, I would go with the same practice of applying it to a rag first before applying to the part where the goo was left on. But a good plastic wheel weight removal tool will help with scratching. Just be gentle.

This is for a 3m One From Amazon:

3M Wheel Weight Removal Tool

And this is a Mohawk one from Grainger which is the one we usually have at my shop

MOHAWK Plastic Adhesive Wheel Weight Removal Tool

Any more questions feel free to ask
Thank for the tip! never saw this
Pete G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:32 AM   #17
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I have to ask: why didn't the guy who re-balanced the wheels remove the old adhesive before putting on the new weights? This is normally part of the job.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #18
rvnmaniac

Drives: 2012 M6 ZL1. 2019 Altima.07 FJR1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
I have to ask: why didn't the guy who re-balanced the wheels remove the old adhesive before putting on the new weights? This is normally part of the job.

Makes sense but rarely done by my experience..