Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-13-2017, 05:46 AM   #1
Gordo-D

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
What makes the Camaro better than the Mustang?

This isn't to start a war btw, my last three dailies have been Mustangs, I traded my 05 Mustang GT for the 2010 Camaro I own now, it just seemed to outdrive the 05 everywhere. But technically it's about 5 years "newer".

So if I had bought a 2010 Mustang instead, would I have lost out on anything?
Gordo-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:53 AM   #2
dustin0284

Drives: 2014 BRM 1LT
Chevy > Ford
Old 08-13-2017, 06:01 AM   #3
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
Nope, the 2010 Mustang was just a dolled up 05 to 09. I feel bad for everyone who bought one when the 2011 and the Coyote came out the following year. I will be the first to agree that my Camaro was substantially faster (106 mph vs 115) but, my Mustang I actually had more fun in because of it being an underdog. I never got to take it to the track after the converter install. I think in a quarter mile run, the way it sat before it was wrecked, the 3V would have beaten my Camaro by a car. It just flat out launchedile a bat out of hell. The Camaro would be reeling it in after 330ft for sure, but I don't think it would have enough to best it. On the street, no way in hell because when I went out looking for "fun", I always had the good shoes on. I thoroughly enjoyed both cars though. I will say that both cars have their niggles. Like the inner door panel trim coming loose from the Mustang, or the AC belt constantly being thrown on the Camaro. Interior wise, I liked the Mustang just a bit more, didn't look quite as bland, but both were comfortable for me. Took some getting used to the seating position and visibility of the Camaro. At any rate, I'd love to have both a 2011 SS and Coyote side by side. I'd have a SRT8 392 Challenger in there too if they weren't so damn expensive.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:10 AM   #4
JKHolman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT stick
...Pictures of Matchstick Men...

Having had an '08 Mustang (AT; 4.0 F/I; LSD) and now the owner of a '13 Camaro 1LT M6 - my impression is the Camaro handles better.
The Mustang is generally for Ford lovers, although their car did capture the imagination of the general public, this going back to 1964. After that, the others of the Big Three came out with their versions of a Pony Car.
Chevrolet specifically made their stock pony to be better than the Ford. And that has been Chevy's point since.
On the Mustang forums, owners that trade in for a Camaro are viewed as having succumbed to "the dark side" (Claudine showed up three cars later). It is a big deal to "beat" a Camaro, while the opposite is viewed with a maintenance of the Status Quo.
Mustangs are romantic while Camaros take it in the cool factor.
On a personal note, I miss Carol. With her supercharger, that girl could really shake it down.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:31 AM   #5
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
While there is absolutely a mustang enthusiast sect, many of the generic 6 cylinder mustangs are people who bought one because of its looks and have no "muscle car" aspirations. I compliment nice mustangs when I see them and many of the owners didn't know what I was talking about. They are usually cheaper then Camaros. Personally I like the 5th generation Camaro looks a lot. I think the same with the mustang. Not a fan of the newest version, but the prior one. This one is too catfishy.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #6
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
10 for 10, the Camaro wiped the floor with the Mustang. In 10 the V6 Camaros had more power than the GT Mustang. In 11 it would have been a little different story. For me I've always liked the look of the Camaro better, the interior space, and performance. If you'd gone '11 or newer on the Mustang or any 5th gen+ Camaro you can't really go wrong.
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:54 AM   #7
ronss

Drives: 2SS CGM/GRND FX/STRIPES/CAI, manual
to me the camaro is not better theyre both great american muscle cars!!
Old 08-13-2017, 09:01 AM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Appearance for one, reliability for two, Build ability for three, a independent rear suspension not as a last ditch effort due to everyone else having it ... Oh did I mention; its not a 5.slow does not have to rev to 7 grand to be in its power band and have 4 cams riding on the heads making the engine dwarf the engine bay and use tools while removing all the skin from your knuckles.....then there is the Dodges..... lower in reliability than the Fords.. heavier and thus they can get crappola gas mileage as a land barge but hey they fit people in the back not as a afterthought, and no a Hemi does mean easier to work on either.

Ford had to go modernistic which is what Chevy did with the Camaro both becoming more european stylistic ...All three went retro only dodge holds on to the challenger style which is good for them as its sweet in appearance, the more Mustangs and Camaros go non retro in trying to blend ;as in a second generation of quasi retro rides but hey its all new...... The more they turn me off to them being thought of as a muscle car not a sports car. Unfortunately not everything all new is all good, adding direct injection was inevitable, but making cars so expensive initially with stylistic going aero so much not so great.

Back in the day there were of course stylistic changes to the big threes muscle cars for more aero; and were usually one off's or customs and drag cars with their looks sometimes influencing the future appearance sometimes of the designers. The generation of 70 1/2-73 I wish was revisited and not the current Camaro which took then gen five aero but hey it was a inevitability also. Trying to stretch the fan base from the great appearance change from the fourth gen to the fifth gen Camaro.

There are some interesting designs that used to be spread on here with ideas for the appearance of the sixth gen. Me frankly I desire the cars of my youth not only for their ability to be built but their stark uncompromising American engineering style for the American market versus others across the world at the times.

I desire all three automakers to make more modern versions of what we knew as kids for the older generations alive, and I want them to be not so technologically evolved they are not user friendly to modify at all or appear anything like the classics which styling makes them desirable all over the world. Modern smellenials whos crap does not stink could use some retro ; they seem to adore in hideous shag carpeting or 50's furniture made to appear futuristic back then which is hideous or Danish bland modernistic style. Why not show them some not so subtle taste that they could actually love for appearance with style; adored by the masses for its retro appearance more than just some aero as polishing a turd is often unrewarding in over all appearance.

Yup this is a rant, LOL Good Morning, the old school Mustang still has no room for headers and working on the engine, only Dodge had to try to one up them being the home of the elephant motor and land barge they can not even make a modern version of the charger that does not make me barf in my mouth a little when comparing it to old school chargers.

The Mustang changed too much just as the Camaro has yet they finally lost the solid axle which is best for straight line, and the appearance of the mustang morphed then the Camaro and we are still waiting for the Dodge.... but they are lacking except for the fact they do realize and appeal to the straight motorhead muscle car guy generation who damn it all wants room for six in the front seat and mother in law in the trunk with luggage....

The Niche the market has for sportscars/muscle cars has always been a Corvette dominator for Chevrolet being that it is a two seater specifically made for handling and its being approached now more with new Camaro in performance than it has been as it was always a hand me down bastard step child such as all the years the z-28 was a sticker and a sway bar package. But Ford made the mustang too restrictive in its interior with trying to down size compared to the Dodge just as the limited space in the Camaro.
And for many its a comparison of a Mustang being solid axles loosing in the curves, over heating on its brakes, with everything for handling as optional more expensive add on there for a while in this last decade or so.

The Mustang selling while the Camaro was on hiatus allowed its changes too appearance over time more than the Camaro which I think should have been less drastically changed or morphed to the 70-1/2 ish 73 style and kept simpler but classic in its lines as too busy is what the future has plenty off when it comes to styling.

Mustangs had some nice looking cars, but just like many they would have been better with a Chevy engine...LOL yes Motors matter, the 350 SBC having been transplanted into everything in the world some day the ls3 will be in its place far down the road because its that solid and a great base having evolved. And being the most manufactured engine in the world for aftermarket makes costs more affordable and usually relates to ease of work on and reliability and build ability.

Anyway enough rambling, both the Mustang and the Camaro look like they are the bastard step children of the Jaguar for their current generations. That's what we have to deal with, are they hideous...hell no, are they no longer muscle cars in appearance....well they are really trying to stretch it....

A muscle car was a full sized family car with room in the back and only Dodge filled that niche being into heavy while others ran scared with CAFE standards looming over our heads from Lib greenies touting what they want to believe as the only truth ,( ignore those solar scientists and those who don't believe) , well thank god Dodge bet right and the standards are not going to slam us too Hard for the future as a ZL1, a Hellcat or a GT 350 can exist..... But did Dodge bet on allowing lessor gas standards with their land barges? or just simply not make newer lighter more gas friendly because they are slow to react.....?. I would suggest the latter ..... And well dodge/fiat/crysler/Mercedes/Yugo corp does not inspire much confidence.....

But for us we can always dream that someday car makers will actually listen to smart old motorheads, actually make a car again you can take the whole power train out of and swap in one different in a day and all the supporting will work...and make the care one to last for the ages with steel not just plastic.... And make one that's a throw back to the classic lines we Americans love, that are our heritage we can admire and share with new generations in whatever Morphing they have....Chopped tops...we got them....Why not classic round tail lights .....? that and many more questions...... Hey is chromium really that expensive now?

https://www.cheatsheet.com/automobil...tml/?a=viewall

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...epts&FORM=IGRE

I happen to like the one that is the most old school,......Now I am sure I am not alone but in the designers minds of snot nosed smellenials most likely working right now to screw up the classic lines of our predecessor rides...well I am not progressive enough, .... theres a couple others that are a nice take on the fifth gen but they would say are not different enough. Well its a case of ....that different is not always better....

Consider say how many 78 Camaros you see around, or Irocs any more....... let alone for a car show............. Classic lines are good.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...+air&FORM=IGRE

Last edited by christianchevell; 08-13-2017 at 09:13 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #9
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Personal preference.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:42 PM   #10
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
drove a mustamg,it felt narrow and higher than the camaro.plus the camaro has better styling.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #11
Dgnelson2

Drives: Camaro 2SS 1le
Stabilitrack
Dgnelson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:51 PM   #12
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
Personal preference.
^^^^ This ... as others have said they are both great muscle/pony cars with a long a history, some good, some bad. Ask a diehard Ford/Mustang person what makes the Camaro better and they'll say nothing. I know, I've talked to a few at car shows and other places; there are those that believe the Mustang even puts the Corvette to shame (they truly need to be brought back to reality...lol). Although we pay each other respect, you will never convince them that the Mustang isn't better overall in just about every area (performance, handling, looks, etc.) anymore then you'll convince die hard Chevy/Camaro people the Camaro isn't better. Throw in a diehard Dodge/Challenger person and you'll have one heck of a great afternoon of beer drinking and 'friendly' conversation.

As for me, I compared the 2013 Mustang to the 2013 Camaro (test drove both before buying). The number one thing I found better was the overall performance and handling; I felt the Camaro out did the Mustang in both areas, especially in the curves. Stock-to-stock, IMO, the Mustang is still a 'straight line' car and can't compete with Camaro when it comes to hitting the 'twisties.' In regards to everything else (overall looks, interior features, bells-and-whistles, etc.), that is strictly my personal preference
Old 08-13-2017, 04:19 PM   #13
c0r3yr0s3

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss
Everything!

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
c0r3yr0s3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #14
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Valve stem caps, the Camaro has way better valve stem caps!!!
That and the car, the car is better too.
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote