Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > New Member Introductions

Old 01-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #43
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1SS View Post
Those look great. I guess I need to ask Ted how fast he can get them to me if I get them coated. Thanks for the pics.
Also, do I need to let Ted know I am also installing a new TB and a 160 thermostat when he is doijg my custom tune. I found a guy selling them both off of his car. He has only put 600 miles on the two and wants 160 shipped for them. Do you think it would be a good idea to add these while I do the headers and everything else.
Thanks again
Yes....I would tell Ted about any drivetrain modifications made.

$160 is borderline on an OK deal. Depends on which ported TB. Personally I prefer the VMax TB over any hand ported TB. The VMax are CNC ported instead of hand ported. That makes them the most consistent IMO. You can get one of those for $150 + shipping (I'm thinking $15? can't remember though). Hand ported TBs are more in the $120 range. I guess if you can still keep your factory TB it would be a much better deal because the $150 for the VMax is with exchange. What info do you have about the TB?

A 160 stat is only like $35...which you could buy from Ted at the same time and probably save on some shipping. So, new you could probably do the same for about $200. To me, $40 isn't enough of a savings to not have a place to return the products if something goes wrong and/or get customer support.

Both of these can be added after the headers and tune though. Now, with the 160 stat you'll need to have the car re-tuned to make the fans come on sooner. You'll need to buy and add the 160 prior to Ted's tune or buy the stat from him so he'll re-tune for free.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #44
Black1SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS 6 Speed
Thanks again for the info. I talked to Ted this morning by PM and he told me he had some headers going out for coating tomorrow and they will be ready for shipment next Friday. That will still give me plenty of time to get them installed before I give the car to her.
He also told me not to do the 160 thermostat. He did not give me the reason why but he said in bold letters not to do that. I dont know why.
He told me he would work out a package deal to include the TB for a little more in my package. I like working with the same people throughout the buil. That way I know I am getting good and consistant info and I know who to go back to if I ever need help. From what I have read on here, Ted is great with working with you on your builds to get everything exactly the way you want it.
So yes, I will be getting the headers coated. LOL
Black1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #45
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Moved to New Members subfourm.

Welcome to the site!
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #46
panther2469

Drives: 2011 2SS RS SIM Litho # 193
welcome
Old 01-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #47
Black1SS

Any responses on why he doesn't recommend the thermostat.
Also, what benefits should I expect from the TB upgrade above and beyond the other mods.
I think I lost the guys that were helping me when the thread got moved. Lol
Old 01-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #48
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Black1SS, CONGRATS on the new ride, and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wive's, husbands and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #49
caverman

Quote:
Any responses on why he doesn't recommend the thermostat.
Also, what benefits should I expect from the TB upgrade above and beyond the other mods.
I think I lost the guys that were helping me when the thread got moved. Lol
Some beleive the LS3 needs the heat to run properly. I have 160 stat on my car. Before the stat my car seemed to run around 200 degrees under normal driving. Now it's in the upper 180s. I haven't seen any negative affects as of yet but not sure I've really seen any benefits other than it being a little cooler at the race track.

If you haven't done a stat yet and Teds says don't bother....well, just pass on it for now. You can always do it later. It's not going to be any day/night difference.

For the TB...at least with the VMax TB....I mostly noticed throttle reponse. There was a video they did where it showed picking up some HP but I wouldn't do it for HP increase. Do it for a little better throttle response. Again, not a day/night improvement and can be done down the road as well if you want. For the $150 though I would recommend it. Easy install as well.

Do search on VMax and read up what others say. Then make your decision.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 01-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #50
Black1SS

Cool,
Thanks for the response again. I have seen that the TB is not for a HP increase but as you said, most people say that it is a night and day differance in throttle response. Since I am doing the other upgrades to gain HP, I figured for the $150, might as well increase the throttle response so I can feel those extra HP. lol
Old 01-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #51
caverman

Quote:
Cool,
Thanks for the response again. I have seen that the TB is not for a HP increase but as you said, most people say that it is a night and day differance in throttle response. Since I am doing the other upgrades to gain HP, I figured for the $150, might as well increase the throttle response so I can feel those extra HP. lol

I agree....which is why I have one as well.

Keep us posted on how it all works out.
Build Journal
Old 01-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #52
Black1SS

I definately will. I can't wait to get it in and installed. I will definately post pics and video when I do
Thanks again for all the help
Old 01-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #53
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Welcome!