Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-15-2012, 12:01 AM   #113
Nor*Kan SS/RS

Drives: 2011 SIM 1SS/RS
Had to have one because they're sexy as haaaaiilll!

20% Tint | Muffler Delete | Hurst Short Throw | Eibach 1" Lowering Springs | K&N Cold Air | 20x9 20x10 Replicas | 255/35 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3's
Nor*Kan SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:55 AM   #114
suplex

Drives: 2011 Coupe, 1LT, A6, No RS Package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancesWithBikers View Post
When I was 10 years old my gearhead uncle bought a new '69 pace car replica. It had the 396 engine, and a Hurst t-handle shifter. I was way to young to drive, but he would let us shift it sometimes. "When I tell you, move the lever there." My gearhead addiction really took off there.

He owned a lot of sweet cars over the years but that white & orange Camaro has had a special place burned into my brain and heart ever since. I had a copy of this ad on my wall for years.

Unfortunately, I was way to young to buy it (or even drive it) when he sold it. Years later I did buy my first car from my uncle, it was a '63 GTO with a 389 tri-carb. Sort of the prototype for the '64 GTO. I was with him the night he bought it from the original owner. As soon as he saw the six-pack under the hood, I KNEW he was going to buy it! It was a lovely monster, but the teen-age rate for insurance on it was phenomenal, and I had to sell it for something more affordable. "Unc" (and my Dad) were also major influences in my decades of motorcycle addiction!

Since then I've mostly had boring or practical cars, and gotten my thrills on and from two wheels. Then a couple of weeks ago my good old '92 Toyota pickup blew the head gasket at 190,000 miles. In the process of deciding whether to patch it up or replace it, the Camaro started haunting me. I glanced at the Challenger, and thought about the Mustang for a little bit, but I was probably kidding myself if I thought I was going to get anything but the Camaro.

I was looking at both orange with black rally stripes, and the classic white with orange stripes. So when I stumbled upon a sweet deal on a barely used 2012, I fell for it hard. With any luck, I'm picking her up on Tuesday.
It's amazing how impressionable we are when we're younger. You're story touched me as mine has with others. Thank you so much for telling your story as well
Old 10-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #115
DancesWithBikers

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
With any luck, I'm picking her up on Tuesday.
Got it!

Flew down to Las Vegas yesterday, then drove it home. Didn't stop grinning for the whole 7 hour drive!
DancesWithBikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #116
suplex

Quote:
Got it!

Flew down to Las Vegas yesterday, then drove it home. Didn't stop grinning for the whole 7 hour drive!
What a nice way to get used to her as well. Fly down and then drive her back. I dare say it was the best 7 hours you have spent so far
Old 10-18-2012, 07:16 AM   #117
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Nice stories here, each one has their own unique experience. Well I bought my 5th gen this year to rekindle my classic/muscle car days. I used to have a 1970 GTO 400/3-spd manual hardtop in the mid '80s and then a 1970 GTO 400/4-spd manual convertible in the late '80s through the '90s. In 1988 I also got a brand new TransAm GTA (5.7 TPI) no sunroof and that also helped sustain my need for speed/power. I was never really into extensive or even moderate modifications but with the GTA it was one of the first F-body which Ed Hamburger (from SLP in Toms River) worked on by custom fitting it with his now infamous SLP Tri-Y headers. Then in 1995 I ended up getting a new Eclipse GSX (AWD Turbo) and had some fun in that through the new millennium. Well through the next decade I got into older & modern classic Mercedes-Benz cars but I always had the itch for true domestic musclecars. I ended up driving an E55 AMG since 2007 and then finally this year I decided to just go for it and pulled the trigger on a new Camaro... although it there was still a Pontiac Firebird around I would have considered that too. But it didn't stop there, I also ended up getting a new Boss 302. Talk about all out! As you can imagine, I appreciate many marques and a fan of high-performance sports cars, muscle cars, pony cars, and classic cars. Needless to say the 5th Gen gets !
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #118
suplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty5th View Post
If there was still a Pontiac Firebird around I would have considered that too. Needless to say the 5th Gen gets !
One of the reasons I am upset that Pontiac is gone, despite having always been a Chevy guy, is because I would have loved to have seen their version of a 5th Gen Firebird or Trans Am. I have seen the "Buy a Camaro and have it converted to a Trans Am" online, but I think a real Pontiac Trans Am would have been different.

I did read your entire story and thank you for adding it to this great list of other stories. It's amazing how cars can touch people, I mean...think about it...did you ever hear a story like one of these about someone who bought a watch? Probably not!
Old 10-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #119
smarbrit

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM
These stories are great! I grew up with a dad who loved restoring old Chevy trucks. He would always get them started, stripped of paint, sanded, primed and would lose his job. He started at least 5. When I was in the 5th grade, he bought an Oldsmobile 442 that he was going to restore, but used it as his DD. parked on the street and it was totaled by a drunk driver one night. Dad was devastated, if he had even a spot of primer on it, would have been a classic under restoration and the payout would have been substantial from the ins. Co. As my brother got older, he loved the mustangs. Bought one in high school and him and my dad would work on it. In '96, my bro moved to England to become a helicopter pilot with the British forces. Mustang was stored at my parents in one of their barns. Well they had a fire on their acreage, took the car.

I have always loved muscle cars, when ford came out with the new mustangs in 2006, I loved them ,but couldn't afford. Then, they got bigger and fatter, lost interest. In 2010, gen 5 camaros came out and I was sold! Couldn't buy as timing wasn't right, but always admired them, stopping at dealers to look. Hubby and I said last year after lurking another dealer, for our 40th bdays, we were getting one. Well we did and I am hooked. There is not one thing I don't love about this car and still discovering new things when I drive it. My fave thing is driving in the fast lane, coming up on a car ahead of me and they actually get out of my way. Total respect for a superb machine.

I named mine Sheeza....Sheeza a tank, she's a beast, Sheezawesome! Cheesy maybe, but she is all that too! I'm glad I found this forum, loads of great info here!
smarbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #120
DancesWithBikers

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by suplex View Post
What a nice way to get used to her as well. Fly down and then drive her back. I dare say it was the best 7 hours you have spent so far
Yep, a great deal of fun! Though it was a real thrill getting out of the driveway after yesterday's snowstorm. Guess I better do some searching on snowtire recommendations!

Got it registered and put the plate on it yesterday too. Sales tax seems easier to take when it's buried in the purchase price. :(
DancesWithBikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #121
amz
Factory Correct

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
My history with the brand , and the Transformers movie.

When BumbleBee scanned from the old to the new Camaro , in the tunnel, it cost me $40k.
amz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #122
suplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by amz View Post
My history with the brand , and the Transformers movie.

When BumbleBee scanned from the old to the new Camaro , in the tunnel, it cost me $40k.
I love when the kid said something like: "If this car is so special, why is it a piece of crap Camaro" (because it was a beat up 2nd Gen). Then, after that...just like you said...Wham-O...a Fabulous 5th Gen!!

Yeah, I can see how you got hooked
Old 10-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #123
revychevy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS LS3
Great car dude, have fun with it.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #124
justind511

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS non-RS RJT M6
i also fell in love with the camaro as soon as i saw the old bumblebee turn into the new bumblebee. I knew i would have to get one when they came out. But i bought mine a year old. Her name is Cammie. the wifey HATES that she has a name haha but she named her 2012 sonic Turbie because its the 1.4 turbo haha
justind511 is offline   Reply With Quote