Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 01-24-2017, 09:35 AM   #1
Sooner Cole

Drives: 2019 ZL1-1LE A10
Paint Protection or wrap

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations with any time of paint protection?
Old 01-24-2017, 09:37 AM   #2
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
I've used Xpel Ultimate on many of my cars, including this one. Great stuff, no more chips, easy to clean, I would never have another nice car without it. Just make sure you get a good installer with experience...
Old 01-24-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
BamBam2SS

Drives: 2017 2SS/M6 W/MRC & NPP
I have Xpel Ultimate on my 2SS...

front bumper, hood, fenders, headlights, A-Pillars, 12" strip over roof, quarter panels, door handle cups and door edges... It was all together about $1900

My installer wasn't the greatest so there's a few spots he's going to have to touch up on. But for the most part I don't have to worry about scratches or rock chips so I don't regret having it done.
BamBam2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
It's ALL about the installer.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #5
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
True to what Glen said. I like XPEL better than the 3M product but my top-notch installer only does 3M. Rather than risking getting a crappy XPEL install, I'm sticking with the 3M guy who has done 3 of my previous cars.
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #6
DG1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I had XPEL Ultimate installed on my 2016 SS. Had the entire front clip (hood, both fenders, front end), lower rocker panels, behind the rear wheels, A pillars, mirrors, door edges, and about 12 inches on the roof closest to the windshield done. The only issue I've had is where the wrap folded under the hood. The underside didnt want to stick properly so I took it back in to get fixed. All good now. Works and looks great.
DG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:27 PM   #7
laditee

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I've done the ceramic pro on my entire car. Best paint correction and paint protection I've ever come across. My ride looks like glass,
Old 01-24-2017, 08:40 PM   #8
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
Another Xpel guy here.. very happy with it. Layered Ceramic Pro over the whole thing.. super happy with the way the car always looks - less dirt from snow and such sticking due to so much water run off.. cleans up very easy and the paint is safe.
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:50 AM   #9
MyLocalDJ

Drives: 2015 2LS
I am going to be the one that is negative here. I had XPEL Ultimate installed on my Foose Stallion show car about 2 yrs ago. This was a full car wrap, not partial like many. I was not happy with the quality of the product at the time of installation and was told to let it have time to cure and sit in the sun a few days. To me the defects were in the material itself. I could see faint lines and areas of obvious defect. After going round and round about replacement, I have finally decided to have the wrap removed by the same shop that did the install. Supposedly a very high end shop! They had the car for a week while I was out of the country. When I picked up the car, the paint was ruined. I am not talking a small spot here and there. I am talking large strips of damage. This car had both factory paint and custom paint from Chip Foose. Both had places where clear coat was pulled off and paint peeled all the way to primer.

Took the car to the body shop that I have used and trust for show cars... he could not believe the damage. Almost $5000 in damage. Installer now claims they no longer rep XPEL and will not help. Be careful!!!!

On a side note, the material will get water spots and they are not easily removed. I tried everything and nothing worked. Additionally, you don't notice the product is actually yellowing until you have it removed and see how much it has turned in a fairly short period of time.

I can't afford to have it repaired right now because of some other obligations. So my prize show car is now going to be sitting under a cover for a few months. UGH!!!!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by MyLocalDJ; 06-15-2017 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Adding pictures
MyLocalDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:45 AM   #10
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
I've used Xpel Ultimate on many of my cars, including this one. Great stuff, no more chips, easy to clean, I would never have another nice car without it. Just make sure you get a good installer with experience...
As note Xpel Ultimate and a very experience installer. Many installers have noted the 6th gen Camaro is one of the hardest installed they've done.

Mine is going in tomorrow to the folks who did my C7. Fingers crossed.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:23 AM   #11
MyLocalDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
As note Xpel Ultimate and a very experience installer. Many installers have noted the 6th gen Camaro is one of the hardest installed they've done.

Mine is going in tomorrow to the folks who did my C7. Fingers crossed.
Good luck... I understand there were some potentially bad lots at one time. Mine was about 2 years old. I had originally had the car wrapped for about 7 years and had to have it removed because of a stupid asphalt driver that did not secure his tailgate and took out 7 show cars, including mine. The wrap did its job back then and protected the paint but the wrap had to be replaced. The replacement was with the XPEL Ultimate or at least that is what the shop said they sold me. See my pictures from the previous post.

I will add that the wrap that had been on the car for 7 years came off without any problems and the damage above was on the same paint that had endured the wrap removal previously without damage. Different manufacturers product.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #12
kweevuss

Drives: 18' Hyper Blue Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam2SS View Post
I have Xpel Ultimate on my 2SS...

front bumper, hood, fenders, headlights, A-Pillars, 12" strip over roof, quarter panels, door handle cups and door edges... It was all together about $1900

My installer wasn't the greatest so there's a few spots he's going to have to touch up on. But for the most part I don't have to worry about scratches or rock chips so I don't regret having it done.
Can I ask you more details on your price?

I just called a local shop that told me to go on xpel's website to look at the prices of the pieces, and then they would charge several hundred for labor.

But seems like the prices for this stuff adds up. I just added up what you said, which is what I pretty much want to get and I get a total of 3300! Is that because your installer wasn't using templates from online like all custom?
kweevuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:40 AM   #13
MyLocalDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kweevuss View Post
Can I ask you more details on your price?

I just called a local shop that told me to go on xpel's website to look at the prices of the pieces, and then they would charge several hundred for labor.

But seems like the prices for this stuff adds up. I just added up what you said, which is what I pretty much want to get and I get a total of 3300! Is that because your installer wasn't using templates from online like all custom?
My price on the wrap for a complete car was $3200 the first one and $4000 for the second. Custom cut for some and precut for some panels.