Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-02-2018, 11:02 AM   #141
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Well, weather looks like it's going to hold out for me!

Touched base with my tuner this morning. We are shooting for starting around 9am tomorrow. Going to take it on a short run this afternoon, just put it through a couple easy paces before we hammer it on the dyno tomorrow. I will be posting up results once I have them.

I feel like a kid on christmas eve! It's been months since I've driven this thing. Ready to see what all this work has netted me! Probably gonna have trouble sleeping tonight.
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #142
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
excellent!

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #143
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
Cool!
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:53 AM   #144
Hixson

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS L99
Good luck Gadget. Been following the thread since I commented early on - nice to see the exciting part finally happening!

Quick update on my situation. I order the rest of the GPI cam kit this weekend to go along with the other storage until full of parts I have amased over the winter. Build weekend should take place in the back half of March. Very Very exciting stuff right before spring - yay for everyone that was bitten by the mod bug
Hixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #145
zz430camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 View Post
Well, weather looks like it's going to hold out for me!

Touched base with my tuner this morning. We are shooting for starting around 9am tomorrow. Going to take it on a short run this afternoon, just put it through a couple easy paces before we hammer it on the dyno tomorrow. I will be posting up results once I have them.

I feel like a kid on christmas eve! It's been months since I've driven this thing. Ready to see what all this work has netted me! Probably gonna have trouble sleeping tonight.
Is that thing on the rollers yet?
Old 03-03-2018, 05:25 PM   #146
go_go_gadget88

Well, the results are in!

Not remotely close to what I was expecting, so that's kind of a letdown. But, seat of the pants says this thing runs great! Torque was actually higher than I'd have guessed. Driveability isn't bad. Some low rpm bucking but it's more mild than expected. Mostly just need to get used to taking off with more throttle.

What's weird is that the curve is so similar to the previous run. I was expecting a loss down low from heads/cam. And the fact it peaks at like 5600. It's like it has a smaller cam than it's supposed to be. Either that or something else is bottlenecking?

Only thing I can think of is that I am still running a stock cutback. I thought they were good to 500rwhp. Maybe it was just to 500fwhp? He said fueling looked good and injectors were at 66% max on duty cycle

Smoothing knocked it down a couple but best printed run is 453hp/455tq

2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
Old 03-03-2018, 05:37 PM   #147
zz430camaro

Something is seriously wrong, that torque curve is really screwed up. What, I dont know, I would contact Pat Guerra and get a remote tune from him and let him look at that tune file and dyno graph or Ted Jenettey Racing. Go straight to the masters!

Those rapid swings in torque and the fall off at 5500 is not normal.

Last edited by zz430camaro; 03-03-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #148
13SSCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
something isnt right, you might have too short of pushrods and not getting full effect of cam, or something. There is something wrong somewhere
Attached Images

2013 SS M6, TSP Stage 3 231/246 cam kit, TSP Trunion upgrade, Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX PTB, TSP 1 7/8 Long tube headers and high flow cats, Corsa Xtreme ZL1 Catback exhaust, Elite E2-X Catch can, Trick Flow Gen-X 255 heads milled 0.025 and valve job, GPI rod mod and ported intake, ID850 injectors,ZL1 fuel pump, Flex sensor and E-85, Mantic 9000 and 1LE 3.91 diff 512rwhp/462rwtq
13SSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:20 PM   #149
go_go_gadget88

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz430camaro View Post
Something is seriously wrong, that torque curve is really screwed up. What, I dont know, I would contact Pat Guerra and get a remote tune from him and let him look at that tune file and dyno graph or Ted Jenettey Racing. Go straight to the masters!

Those rapid swings in torque and the fall off at 5500 is not normal.
It's weird though that the stock tune did the same thing though. He put a lot of time into trying to dial it in just perfect, and was also surprised at the numbers. I really don't think there's an issue with the tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13SSCamaro View Post
something isnt right, you might have too short of pushrods and not getting full effect of cam, or something. There is something wrong somewhere
It really seems like it, but I promise I spent way more time than was probably necessary measuring for these pushrods. I was really feeling like I was between 2 sizes on them, so I erred on the longer side. I agree something isnt right somewhere, but I don't think that's it.

I can say, now that I look, I can't really find much if any dynos of cars running heads and a sizeable cam that are still running the stock catback. Has anyone ever really tried? Or for sure know what the limits of it?

I just feel like something is choking it out. It'd have to be intake or exhaust I would think. And plenty of people make better power with the stock intake manifold.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:30 PM   #150
13SSCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
cheap easy test, simply unhook the catback and run it on the dyno, i cant imagine the stock catback killing your top end that bad though but it is something to look into
2013 SS M6, TSP Stage 3 231/246 cam kit, TSP Trunion upgrade, Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX PTB, TSP 1 7/8 Long tube headers and high flow cats, Corsa Xtreme ZL1 Catback exhaust, Elite E2-X Catch can, Trick Flow Gen-X 255 heads milled 0.025 and valve job, GPI rod mod and ported intake, ID850 injectors,ZL1 fuel pump, Flex sensor and E-85, Mantic 9000 and 1LE 3.91 diff 512rwhp/462rwtq
13SSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:51 PM   #151
zz430camaro

How is the low speed drivability? Is it bucking and surging really bad? Is it really low on torque down low? Did the tuner think that torque curve looked funny?
Old 03-03-2018, 09:06 PM   #152
go_go_gadget88

Found this interesting post in an old thread while searching about the catback:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@CPR.com View Post
We actually found this out on a members car infernometallicss. He has long tubes, cold air, our cam (big) milled heads, circle d stall and at the time of test that was it. He has the no weeds cutouts w/ stock cat-back including the middle resonator. So we dyno'd it cutouts open and closed and it made roughly 30 more rwhp with them open! Now on a bolt on only car i don't think it's going to be that much at all, but start really moving some air and it does become a restriction for sure!
So there may be something there? That's a good rwhp gain on an auto. Unsure if LS3 exhaust is that restrictive.

Low speed there is some bucking but it's a pretty narrow range. He's got it dialed in pretty damn good I think. We ran it on the street after the dyno so he could make sure it looked good there too. I don't think he thought the torque curve was funny because it did that before. But like me, he is surprised that the curves are so similar too. These should have drastically different power curves, yet it's not showing that. It's like the same curve shifted up some the entire powerband.

And how early it peaks. TSP has this cam peaking at like 6500. Mine is peaking at like 5600. Hearing it run on the dyno it sounds like it literally doesn't want to rev any further. And since he can look and see that the fuel side of things looks good, my only guess is that is got an air restriction. This is admittedly a long shot guess though.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:51 PM   #153
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
tks fer da kudos! as I have stated before I like to help(or at least point ya in the right direction) and a prob resolved is enough...

as for #'s..that is a new area on these motors..I have seen so many different results and the variables are astonishing....add to the fact that I believe the mustang dyno's show lower numbers(right?) than another dyno....

but...445/470 mustang....460/465...diff dyno...prob seriously off base and don't be pissed at my #'s...and lookin at your previous dyno run I think your valve springs where shot and she went in float at such a low rpm...that curve just doesn't look right...

good luck and no worries...it'll hold together just fine! peace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 View Post
Well, the results are in!

Not remotely close to what I was expecting, so that's kind of a letdown. But, seat of the pants says this thing runs great! Torque was actually higher than I'd have guessed. Driveability isn't bad. Some low rpm bucking but it's more mild than expected. Mostly just need to get used to taking off with more throttle.

What's weird is that the curve is so similar to the previous run. I was expecting a loss down low from heads/cam. And the fact it peaks at like 5600. It's like it has a smaller cam than it's supposed to be. Either that or something else is bottlenecking?

Only thing I can think of is that I am still running a stock cutback. I thought they were good to 500rwhp. Maybe it was just to 500fwhp? He said fueling looked good and injectors were at 66% max on duty cycle

Smoothing knocked it down a couple but best printed run is 453hp/455tq

damn my man I wish I hadn't called it so close...and no...I am no the amazing Kreskin either(GOT TO GET TO VEGAS!)..but I had based it upon the first dyno results..

so what do we know? first the same prob exits so what ever was done to the motor has nothin to do with it..2nd you have an CAI(filter clean..lulz) so air in has got to be good...3rd headers and cat deletes can't be any restriction...so the above suggestion about disconnecting the rest of the exhaust would be a quick(and loud) way to see if that's the prob...

if the clutch was slippin you would smell it...so get out in the morning and drop that exhaust soldier! peace...
Old 03-03-2018, 09:55 PM   #154
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Something mechanical is wrong. Its peaking 1000rpm too early. Its not the catback, sorry. Its like 5hp stock muffler compared to NPP.

Install went wrong...like way off timing marks and wrong pushrods. Id go over it again, right after getting my tune checked by someone else.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote