Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
2005SilveradoSSAWD

Drives: 2005 Silverado SS AWD
Magnacharged LS3 Supercharger kit for Camaro

I plan on purchasing an LS3 powered 6 speed manual SS once they became available and after I make up my mind on the color/stripes... I'm sure the power will be very impressive out of the box, but I'm a bit greedy, and fell in love with the wine of a roots v8 after riding in a friend's Cobra. After reseaching around for power adders, I found Magnacharger's kit(when it becomes available for the camaro) would fit my needs. It's something I think I could do in a day and is a pretty complete setup. I'm a certified tech for Mercury Racing, and do work on everything from Mercury's outboard line to the Mercury Racing sterndrive supercharged racing motors like the 1200Sci (1200 hp 557ci twin lysholm supercharged big block).

What concerns me with simply installing and running it on the Camaro is my experience with forced induction in the marine industry, which tells me that forged internals are always neccessary. That is if you don't like running on borrowed time.

I've been on vette forums and looked at peoples hp/tq numbers after installing the kits on their LS3 vettes, and while impressive, I question the longevity of the motor.

My question is, if I run a modest amount of boost (3-5psi) will I be safe, or is it just power by the hour. Oh, and I should also mention this will most likely be my daily driver.

"If guns cause crime, spoons made Rossie O' Donnel fat."

"My gun has killed less people than Ted Kenneddy's car"
2005SilveradoSSAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
From what I know you should be okay with that limited amount of boost; supposedly the LS3 is designed to take it.

But I'm hardly an expert; we've got some others on the forum who know a hell of a lot about this stuff so I'd suggest waiting till one of them chime in.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
member wmholden has a supercharged GTO I believe, and from the vid's he drives it like he stole it. If he don't chime in you might look him up.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
You would be more than fine running that low of boost, just don't expect to see that great of a power return. I don't know if you could really call it a rule of thumb, but I normally say 7psi is ideal for otherwise stock motors. Everything but the rotating assembly can handle big pressure with ease (remember this is essentially the same motor found in the LS9 ZR-1 Corvette, making 638hp). Anything more than 10psi I would look into getting at least forged pistons and rods. 15psi and up you will probably want all forged. Hope this helps.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
The LS3 and LS9 (or LSA for that matter) are completely different in terms of the short block. The LS9 is completely forged - forged steel crank, Ti rods, forged pistons, piston squirters, and forged main caps; then, it has larger 12mm (I believe) head bolts whereas other LSX engines run 11mm head bolts, specially cast cylinder heads, among other things. The LS3 has nothing forged and I believe the crank is a carry over from either the LS1 or better balanced LS6s. I'm not for certain on that, but I'm pretty sure that's what I've read. The LSA has much of the same components as the LS9, however, it has steel rods and cast pistons. I don't recall if the heads were the same rotary cast style as the LS9, but it runs less pressure. I believe the LS9 runs 10.5 lbs. max, and the LSA was closer to 9 or something. The LS3 has too high a compression to my understanding (something like 10.9:1 or something) to run around 10 psi. reliably; considering one of the lead engineers of the
Vette and ZR1 program said that much more boost than it's already running is not a good idea because they're on the brink, especially in terms of cooling.

I'll definately be looking at a 1900 or 2300 for my car, seeing as how what I was looking for is looking less likely. Hopefully, GMPP can offer something through their catalog, and have CARB certification, because Ford offers upgrade kits for GT500s that are legal.

JMHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Hopefully, GMPP can offer something through their catalog, and have CARB certification, because Ford offers upgrade kits for GT500s that are legal.

JMHO.
Legal for now anyways. Don't be surprised if that CAFE hammer don't swing wide. I'm glad I live in an off-road vehicle state lol (for now)
Old 09-04-2008, 11:06 AM   #7
Mr Twisty

Good boost post here.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ghlight=holden
Old 09-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Legal for now anyways. Don't be surprised if that CAFE hammer don't swing wide. I'm glad I live in an off-road vehicle state lol (for now)
Remember who we elect. The hotshots in Congress all love to throw their money at something. If they don't have luxury cars, they have fast ones. They aren't enthusiasts generally so they tend to buy fresh from the factory. In other words, enhancing regulations to kill performance cars would kill their ability to show off.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
No kidding. They are relentless. Enjoy your off-road state while you can. My state's sheety smog laws will be coming to a state near you soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Remember who we elect. The hotshots in Congress all love to throw their money at something. If they don't have luxury cars, they have fast ones. They aren't enthusiasts generally so they tend to buy fresh from the factory. In other words, enhancing regulations to kill performance cars would kill their ability to show off.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #10
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
They must be reverting to cuban cigars expensive hoes and good likker cuz they sure came down hard on the big 3. Maybe they have a movie star /congressman exemption.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:03 PM   #11
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
Quote:
They must be reverting to cuban cigars expensive hoes and good likker cuz they sure came down hard on the big 3. Maybe they have a movie star /congressman exemption.
Yeah they do, companies that produce less than 50,000 cars per year are exempt. Hence only the rich can afford what they want and the average person has to drive what they want them to drive, it's no different than fascism.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #12
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
In other words if Cafe doesn't apply to ferrari it's all bs.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #13
baileyrx

Drives: 2003 g35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005SilveradoSSAWD View Post
I plan on purchasing an LS3 powered 6 speed manual SS once they became available and after I make up my mind on the color/stripes... I'm sure the power will be very impressive out of the box, but I'm a bit greedy, and fell in love with the wine of a roots v8 after riding in a friend's Cobra.
My question is, if I run a modest amount of boost (3-5psi) will I be safe, or is it just power by the hour. Oh, and I should also mention this will most likely be my daily driver.

take a look at www.corvetteforum.com

lots of info on the ls3...
baileyrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #14
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
It's my opinion (having lurked at the vette forums) the vette boys are poisoned to the maggie by their centri obsessed F/I leader in one A&A corvette shop.
Shops like to sell build ups so they can charge a bunch of money for air (literally) tunes ......and custom fab time that swallows dollars like a class A hooker.

If you are going to truly limit the boost to 4 or 5 psi on a 10.9 to 1 compression ratio...as long as the fuel system is upgraded (injectors, BAP, rails, etc) you will be fine.(with a good tune)
Throw in a cam or change the exhaust..and all bets are off...boost psi is a function of restriction....drop in a cam on a car putting out 7.5 psi and 500rwhp and the boost may drop to 4...not the same as 4 on a stock block.
hp may jump to 600rwhp. (550?)

I think the OP's idea is a good one and valid....just resist the urge to turn up the boost willy nilly. and the car will last for you...
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote