Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-11-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Looking for shock/strut recommendations with BMR 1" lowering springs - 2012 SS

As the title says. I've done full poly in the rear and subframe with their BMR trailing arms and toe bars, some poly in the front, and 1.0" BMR drop springs. To me, it feels like my stock shocks/struts aren't quite up to the task of dealing with the increased spring rate.
What replacements should I go with?

Thanks!
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:27 AM   #2
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
All depends how much you want to spend and what kind of performance you are looking for? How many miles are on your stock ones? Straight line acceleration or cornering? Softer or stiffer ride?
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #3
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Koni! I have Oranges & Yellows. Factory Rebate til the end of the month
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #4
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Get the good stuff. DSSV Z/28 struts and coils (Only Z Coils Fit the DSSV) or Bilstein B6 which will work very well with yur BMR coils..
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #5
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Pete (or anyone), do you know offhand what the Z/28 springs + shocks cost? I have yet to buy shocks (probably wait till the factory ones are done) but am thinking B6's, 1LE or Z/28 for when the time comes.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #6
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Pete (or anyone), do you know offhand what the Z/28 springs + shocks cost? I have yet to buy shocks (probably wait till the factory ones are done) but am thinking B6's, 1LE or Z/28 for when the time comes.
Deeply discounted online pricing for the Z/28 struts and springs about $2,500. B6/DSE in my online store about half that. B6/BMR about $200 less. I would say you get at worst 85% of the performance for less than half the cost.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:10 PM   #7
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Deeply discounted online pricing for the Z/28 struts and springs about $2,500. B6/DSE in my online store about half that. B6/BMR about $200 less. I would say you get at worst 85% of the performance for less than half the cost.
That's what I wanted to hear I was thinking the 1LE's as replacements 'cause I like to keep things factory/factory-ish when possible, but I've heard many a good thing about Bilstein and now you're recommending them so I guess I know what to do.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #8
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Drives: 2006 Silverado 2500HD CC/SB LBZ
Quote:

Pete,

How do you feel they would perform with old Pfadt stage 3 lowering springs and suspension system running the 2017 1LE wheels and tires? This setup is on a heavily modified 2011 SS weekend fun and HPDE car.

Travis

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Just like farmer engineering. Find the weak link and fix it, then find the next one." Salt Cat Racing
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #9
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams72 View Post
Pete,

How do you feel they would perform with old Pfadt stage 3 lowering springs and suspension system running the 2017 1LE wheels and tires? This setup is on a heavily modified 2011 SS weekend fun and HPDE car.

Travis

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Those spring rates are rather light in comparison. Not bad, but not as good as the DSE / BMR with B6 struts.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:00 PM   #10
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Drives: 2006 Silverado 2500HD CC/SB LBZ
Quote:
Those spring rates are rather light in comparison. Not bad, but not as good as the DSE / BMR with B6 struts.

Well I'm pretty happy with them so I would not change them yet. So what kind of improvement could I expect over the stock SS shocks/struts and the 1LE versions I was considering? Thanks and sorry for thread jacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Just like farmer engineering. Find the weak link and fix it, then find the next one." Salt Cat Racing
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:12 PM   #11
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams72 View Post
Well I'm pretty happy with them so I would not change them yet. So what kind of improvement could I expect over the stock SS shocks/struts and the 1LE versions I was considering? Thanks and sorry for thread jacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Far more control due to style of damper monotube vs twin tube and damper map, more aggressive, more performance oriented. Tighter ride. more control, more settled, especially with aggressive maneuvers.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:51 AM   #12
Inspiro

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
What is the difference between the DSE springs and the BMR springs?
Is it worth paying almost twice as much?

Thanks in advance
Inspiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:36 PM   #13
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspiro View Post
What is the difference between the DSE springs and the BMR springs?
Is it worth paying almost twice as much?

Thanks in advance
BMR cold wound
DSE hot wound

OEM coils are hot wound.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:42 PM   #14
Inspiro

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
BMR cold wound
DSE hot wound

OEM coils are hot wound.
Thanks for this info Pete

I did a quick search and from what I understand hot or cold wounding is used depending on the diameter, but couldn't find much info regarding performance difference and is it worth the price difference

Thanks in advance
Inspiro is offline   Reply With Quote