Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 07-31-2017, 06:30 PM   #1
naikaidriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Pictures from The Ridge Motorsports Park SCCA Track Night in America

The Beast has come a LONG way from the bone stock, 2010 2SS it started out as when I got her.

In current trim I was able to run a 2:02 lap on the 2.47 mile, 16-turn road course in Shelton, WA which is extremely fast for a non-1LE car on street tires. Credit to JusticePete for his guidance on getting my car to the level that it is today.

Scott
Attached Images

Diablo T1000 with Phastek custom tune, K&N Intake, Hurst Short-Throw Shifter, Flowmaster, Outlaw II Exhaust, BMR 1" Lowering Springs, BMR 3-way Adjustable Anti-Roll Bars, BMR End Links and Reinforcement Brackets, BMR Trailing Arms, ZL1 wheels, Nitto NT555 G2 Tires, Z28-style Rear Spoiler, Hawk Plus Brake Pads, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid
naikaidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:44 AM   #2
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Drives: 2006 Silverado 2500HD CC/SB LBZ
Still have decibel limits at this event?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Just like farmer engineering. Find the weak link and fix it, then find the next one." Salt Cat Racing
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #3
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
You're doing to your 2010 what I want to eventually do to mine, more or less. How have your suspension mods improved the car's track handling? Which one made the biggest difference? My next track day is in 2 weeks and will be the first time on non Pirelli tires (Continental ExtremeContact sport). I don't have enough experience to tell what the suspension shortcomings are on my 2010, so I don't know that I'd be able to tell the difference if I upgraded something.

My compliments to the photographer!

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
naikaidriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams72 View Post
Still have decibel limits at this event?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Depends on the track. For example at Pacific Raceways, they don't seem to mind but at The Ridge, the limit is 96db at WOT from 100ft.

Scott
Diablo T1000 with Phastek custom tune, K&N Intake, Hurst Short-Throw Shifter, Flowmaster, Outlaw II Exhaust, BMR 1" Lowering Springs, BMR 3-way Adjustable Anti-Roll Bars, BMR End Links and Reinforcement Brackets, BMR Trailing Arms, ZL1 wheels, Nitto NT555 G2 Tires, Z28-style Rear Spoiler, Hawk Plus Brake Pads, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid
Old 08-13-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
naikaidriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJanowich View Post
You're doing to your 2010 what I want to eventually do to mine, more or less. How have your suspension mods improved the car's track handling? Which one made the biggest difference? My next track day is in 2 weeks and will be the first time on non Pirelli tires (Continental ExtremeContact sport). I don't have enough experience to tell what the suspension shortcomings are on my 2010, so I don't know that I'd be able to tell the difference if I upgraded something.

My compliments to the photographer!
Welcome to the addiction!

The 2010 is the most challenging starting point since it was the worst handling of all the fifth and 6th gen Camaros.

The good news is that it's easy enough to fix, just takes more parts.

For me, springs, bars and rear trailing arms were what really transformed the car and how it handled. If I had it to do over again, I would have kept the stock front bar and went to the ZL1 rear bar. That is the "magic" setup for the non-1LE 5th gens. What I ended up doing with the BMR bars is setting the rear bar to the middle hole and the front to the outer. This greatly increased turn-in but left just enough understeer for safety at speed.

Next steps should be lower control arms, subframe bushings, radius arm bushings, proper camber plates and struts.

That said, I strongly recommend taking your car to the track bone stock before throwing parts at it. You'll get a getter feel for what each upgrade does and there is no part in the universe that will make you faster than upgrading the nut behind the wheel!

Good luck!

Scott