Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #71
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyt2528 View Post
I actually made him pay for it. I told him since he was a little kid that he was getting a new car. I am retired military and made many tours to Iraq which separated us. I feel like this is a way to repay him because I want too! I'm not getting it to spoil him... I am getting him it because he deserves it. He has had a job for 3 years now mowing yards. Saving money for gas, insurance and any extras he wants. Even if I was buying the car for spoiling him I don't see the big deal. You guys who are making comments like he is not deserving it because he didnt work it are just jealous and I don't see how this mean anything.
no comment
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
Old 05-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #72
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
I actually made him pay for it. I told him since he was a little kid that he was getting a new car. I am retired military and made many tours to Iraq which separated us. I feel like this is a way to repay him because I want too! I'm not getting it to spoil him... I am getting him it because he deserves it. He has had a job for 3 years now mowing yards. Saving money for gas, insurance and any extras he wants. Even if I was buying the car for spoiling him I don't see the big deal. You guys who are making comments like he is not deserving it because he didnt work it are just jealous and I don't see how this mean anything.
jealous....sorry not even close, you wanted input...some you like..some you don't, make your own decision. Really that's all that matters in the end anyway
Old 05-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #73
Chaotic73
BUMBLLB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
I think with all the blind spots the Camaro has plus you add in 320-420+ HP for a first time driver is not a good idea, I don't care how responsible they are. Let them learn how to drive in a beater for a few years then if they are ready they can move up to the Camaro.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #74
BiG_TiMe

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Don't get him the SS, the V6 has enough power for a 16 year old already. you'll just be wasting that extra thousands of dollars if you get him the V8

ps. i got mine pretty much the same age. i drove both the SS and the 6 and of course i would like to have the SS but in reality, do i need that extra 2 cylinders? no. saved my parents a lot of money going with the V6 and i'm pretty sure you like saving money too, right?
Old 05-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #75
kansjfr

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
One thing new drivers don't understand is the laws of physics; if you break the laws of physics, there is instant punishment--there is no probation, no parole, no insanity defense, no OJ Simpson defense, no do-overs. You can jump a curb on a bicycle, can't do it in a car without substantial damage. Kids have trouble grasping that concept. It's just a fact that kids tear up their first car, because they don't understand the laws of physics. Good luck.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:32 AM   #76
Jbakovich

Drives: 2011 Black LS
im 18 got my baby at 16. I'm extremely responsible and take care of my car to the fullest. Even i mess around in the car sometimes. The V8 would be nice but its a lot of power for a 16 year old and you dont want other ppl to get jelous. you know him better though.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #77
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
If you're not liking the answers, maybe you shouldn't have asked the question.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting

Last edited by 911medic; 05-05-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #78
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Here's what you said in your opening post: "My son is turning 16 this October and I really want to get him a new car". Now you say HE is paying for it out of money (apparently a LOT of money) he has saved (and good for him) - but that's much different than YOU getting him the car. His money = showing much more responsibility, but I still say a letting him get a Camaro for his first car is stupid and asking for trouble. There is so much to learn about driving in many different situations.

Obviously, you do what you want. Just don't fool yourself into thinking he's not going to go crazy in such a powerful car when the other boys and girls are taunting him to show off. He will.

And I am not jealous in the least. My first car (at 17) was a '63 Studebaker I rescued from a field and I beat that thing mercilessly. THANK GOD it was only a 289 w/ 210 HP! Still, I was one of very few kids in my school who had his very own car. Of course, I was completely responsible for ALL related expenses.

Lastly - I sincerely thank you for your military service to our country, and if your son is as mature as you say he is... you don't need to let him get a hot car to make up for your absences. He should understand the sacrifices you have made for him (and all of us) already.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #79
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
No way in hell my 16 year old son gets a SS camaro. Seriously buy him something safe and boring to drive to get him some seat time and experience. When he's a few years older and more mature consider upgrading to a camaro but not as a first car.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #80
Dan1028
Mechanical Engineer

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Lastly - I sincerely thank you for your military service to our country, and if your son is as mature as you say he is... you don't need to let him get a hot car to make up for your absences. He should understand the sacrifices you have made for him (and all of us) already.
Quoted for truth, 100% agree.

LEFT HAND DRIVE
Old 05-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #81
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Quote:
Thank you for your service and dedication. It's obvious you love your son. However, you're the one who asked for feedback so don't get all huffy because some people are actually giving you their honest and unedited opinion.
I just hope you don't get "the visit" from a couple of LEOs that your son failed to negotiate a turn at 90 and....

Old 05-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #82
gmen09

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ls3
Get the SS, just show him how quick it can get away from you, like go into a parking lot turn off traction control and scare him alittle.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #83
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post

Obviously, you do what you want. Just don't fool yourself into thinking he's not going to go crazy in such a powerful car when the other boys and girls are taunting him to show off. He will.
+1

and also figure on him finding his way to boards like here where he'll quickly learn that if he leaves those "nannies" on just means he's less of a man and can't handle his car. won't be long before he's shutting those off to prove what a good driver he is. after all, dad wouldn't have got him the SS if couldn't handle it.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #84
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
^^^
I see what you did there...
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting

Closed Thread