Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #1
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Camber Plate Install Help

Anyone have installation input on the Moreno Camber Plates? I am using BC Coilovers, and not sure about what is required to use off the stock Strut isolator, if anything. It seems they are saying to pry it apart to use part of it. Not finding anything much in the Forums or Google.

The instructions state:
10. Remove spring isolator (yellow/orange for 2012+, black for 2010-11) from strut mount. A flat prying tool may be necessary.
11. Install spring Isolator to camber/caster plate. Silicone band wrapped around spring perch acts as an adapter for the factory spring isolator. Install isolator to spring perch with band. It is a tight fit, use light oil to lubricate silicone if necessary. The best method for installing the spring isolator is to pull the silicone band down to where it is partially installed to the perch, this way the band will not fold while installing the spring isolator. *If you are using aftermarket coilovers with 2.5" springs, do not install spring isolator, and remove the silicone bands from spring perch. The perch will sit directly on the spring.*

Don't want to mess anything up, and get it right the 1st time.

hesster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:39 PM   #2
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Take the orange isolator and separate it from the factory mount. Install the isolator to the spring perch as per the manual. The aluminum adapter from BC jn your picture will be used as well. Alternatively if those are 2.5" ID springs, you could remove the silicone band, and mate the spring straight to the spring pirch, without the orange isolator and without the BC alumknum adaptor, however, this will lower your ride height so you will need to readjust.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
FYI

Pedders 62.5mm springs(possibly other BC racing type that uses 62.5mm) may not mate to the top spring perch without some pressure. 62.5mm=2.46". I didn't want to press it on since I was trying out different cool spring rates and would be harder to pry off. I just used 2.5" spec' coils and slips on easy. This was gen1 of the camber plates.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:29 AM   #4
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
Hold up now, I thought that on aftermarket setups the coil spring sat directly on the camber plate spring perch, as in you just remove the black band and install the spring. I have Pedders XA Coilovers, which are essentially the same thing as a BC BR coilover, and the original springs were too short to get any preload with the camber plates.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:13 AM   #5
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
On the gen1 Moreno OE perch, the Pedders 8kg and 10kg 62.5mm springs had an interference fit. So much that I didn't want to use them. I wanted to try softer rates so I bought 2.5" DIA Draco's. 2.5" shouldn't have any problems, but 62.5mm may be tight, if they go on.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #6
hesster

Appreciate the posts here, and it seems there are some options on which way to mount these. I have been working other mods, but got back to this to get additional input before I do the assembly prob next week.
I measured the ID of the BC Springs and they are around 2.46" or so. The OD of the Moreno Perch w/o the silicone band is 2.5". I separated the stock yellow silicone part from the assembly, it pry's off real easy. It still has a steel insert bonded to it.

So attached are some mounting configurations as outlined by the posts.

This Pic is Configuration #1 - the stock yellow silicone isolator fits somewhat "loosely" over the Moreno silicone band (not really snug), and does not fit directly into the Moreno spring adapter. Should I also pry off the stock steel insert from the yellow isolator? Would this would work, assuming the marginal play between parts is not detrimental? It seems to me that the stock yellow isolator is really meant to be used with a stock Strut spring configuration.

This is Configuration #2 - this seems to make more sense to me, and eliminates the part to part slop. Ditch the Moreno spring adapter, silicone band, stock yellow silicone spring cushion, and mount the spring directly to the Moreno perch w/o the silicone band. Yeah, there is around 0.04" interference of the spring to the Moreno perch, but I'm thinking this is not a big deal with a little anti seize and some muscle? I ASSUME the loss of ride height w/o the Moreno Spring adapter and stock yellow isolator cushion can be taken up by extending the BC shock provided there are sufficient threads a for adjustment? Won't know this until I install it, just hate to tear it all down again and figure out a solution.

Last edited by hesster; 04-06-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:50 PM   #7
phillyflyer

Drives: 2015 Z28
Thanks for posting this!

I just got my set of Moreno plates for my Z/28 and haven't installed them yet so look forward to the results and direction; even though you have aftermarket dampers it is still helpful
Old 04-09-2016, 07:16 AM   #8
hesster

Assembled and set them up yesterday. The Moreno Camber insert without the Black Silicone Band fit nicely inside the BC Spring and I was able to pop it in easily and seat it flush with some large channel locks. I set the spring preload at ~4mm, and extended the shock body quite a bit to start in order to make up for the loss of height in not using the stock isolator and Moreno adapter. I set the shock adjustment at on the top of the shaft at 15 clicks for now which is in the middle of the 30 click REBOUND adjustment. The remote reservoir also has a knob for adjustment for COMPRESSION so I also set that at 15 clicks. Time to assemble the suspension and adjust ride height - I'm sure this will be trial and error, and hopefully I have enough ride height.

Last edited by hesster; 04-09-2016 at 07:28 AM.