Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-20-2010, 10:39 PM   #15
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
I think Jim is having a sale this week for the same price.
I would definately buy directly from Jim if I had the choice. My bet would be that he would price match even without a sale.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #16
mitch03

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS White
I bought one a couple of weeks ago. I can definitely tell a difference in throttle response and the sound at the upper end and pull is much better than stock.
mitch03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #17
nuptualnemesis
NuptualNemesis

Drives: Silver 1SS M6 - 480hp 11.57/120.79
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingRush View Post
I have looked around a little bit, but haven't seen an answer to two questions I have about installing the CAI.

1. There is a plastic cover that appears to be part of the old intake system in front of the radiator behind the SS logo. Should that be removed?

2. There is a rubber hose attached to the intake tube and I'm not sure exactly how I should hook that up to the old air hose.

Thanks for the help in advance guys.

I removed the upper plastic piece in question and it does allow air flow along the side of the radiator to the box area. I sealed the front edge of the box to the radiator with inch foam tape backed weather stripping. Double or triple as needed.
I also found a smaller washer reservoir at junk yard out of a KIA for $15.00 that opened up air flow and removed the plastic tab on the lower grill area for more air flow. You can bend it back or cut it off.
I am a perfectionist so I also taped the bottom and side of the air box with rubber Gorilla Duct tape from Home Depot. Super strong, sticky and black. I cut it into 1 inch strips for this. It is rubber and looks good and holding up well.
As it gets hotter a total seal will be more important. I have read computer starts pulling timing around 110 degrees air intake temp.
I have an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge that reads Intake temp and it usually runs 3 to 5 degrees over ambient air when moving. It does tend to heat up idling, especially when over 80 degrees out. I am considering insulating my carbon fiber tube in the summer because it picks up a lot of heat off of the fan at idle.
The Aeroforce Interceptor plugs into computer/code outlet and will give two readings of choice for about 40 functions, doubles as a shift light, records for one minute, reads and clears codes and much much more. Great gauge for $245.00. http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_interceptor.html
nuptualnemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:15 PM   #18
southerncarparts

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Quote:
I think Jim is having a sale this week for the same price.
We sure are....we have a great relationship with Halltech and offer the full suite of his products.

Thanks,

Jim
southerncarparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:35 AM   #19
iFast

Drives: '10 Camaro SS/RS and '01 Bullitt
Alright, got my intake this weekend. Pulled it out of the box and it was pretty much ready to go. Took my old intake off, put the new one on and it was ready to go. Very simple install. The two notches at the bottom for the AC lines were right on. No install issues.
The intake gave my car a noticeable sound improvement at WOT and still offer the quiet ride that I want on the highway. This intake is very quiet other than at WOT.... which I like. I had an old MAC CAI on my mustang and it would vibrate all the time under the hood... drove me crazy. This is a great intake and looks great under the hood! Thanks!
iFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:13 AM   #20
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFast View Post
Alright, got my intake this weekend. Pulled it out of the box and it was pretty much ready to go. Took my old intake off, put the new one on and it was ready to go. Very simple install. The two notches at the bottom for the AC lines were right on. No install issues.
The intake gave my car a noticeable sound improvement at WOT and still offer the quiet ride that I want on the highway. This intake is very quiet other than at WOT.... which I like. I had an old MAC CAI on my mustang and it would vibrate all the time under the hood... drove me crazy. This is a great intake and looks great under the hood! Thanks!
Glad you like it. How does the acceleration feel?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #21
LemmingRush

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuptualnemesis View Post
I removed the upper plastic piece in question and it does allow air flow along the side of the radiator to the box area. I sealed the front edge of the box to the radiator with inch foam tape backed weather stripping. Double or triple as needed.
I also found a smaller washer reservoir at junk yard out of a KIA for $15.00 that opened up air flow and removed the plastic tab on the lower grill area for more air flow. You can bend it back or cut it off.
I am a perfectionist so I also taped the bottom and side of the air box with rubber Gorilla Duct tape from Home Depot. Super strong, sticky and black. I cut it into 1 inch strips for this. It is rubber and looks good and holding up well.
As it gets hotter a total seal will be more important. I have read computer starts pulling timing around 110 degrees air intake temp.
I have an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge that reads Intake temp and it usually runs 3 to 5 degrees over ambient air when moving. It does tend to heat up idling, especially when over 80 degrees out. I am considering insulating my carbon fiber tube in the summer because it picks up a lot of heat off of the fan at idle.
The Aeroforce Interceptor plugs into computer/code outlet and will give two readings of choice for about 40 functions, doubles as a shift light, records for one minute, reads and clears codes and much much more. Great gauge for $245.00. http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_interceptor.html
Thanks for the info. I was planning on removing it and replacing it with something to redirect more air into the box. I'll post pics when I'm done.
LemmingRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #22
iFast

Drives: '10 Camaro SS/RS and '01 Bullitt
Quote:
Glad you like it. How does the acceleration feel?
Feels really good. Never caught/barked 2nd gear in my L99 before... does now. Not sure that fully contributes to it but I'm satisfied. The butt dyno figures its putting out a few more ponies.
iFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #23
southerncarparts

Awesome....we try to pre-assemble as much as possible before we send them out.

Glad you like it!!!

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFast View Post
Old 04-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #24
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Jim, is the Camaro5 price what show's on your site for the Halltech CAI?

Thanks!
Michael J.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #25
nuptualnemesis
NuptualNemesis

Drives: Silver 1SS M6 - 480hp 11.57/120.79
Increase air flow

Pics of removal of upper plastic piece, lower grill plastic and smaller water tank. The washer tank was out of a KIA about ten years old.
Picked up for $15.00 at a junk yard with working pump. It really opened it up, works great and you don't even see it.

The bracket behind the upper push pin is silver, same as car. I need to paint it black to look better. There are only two push pins not three.
Top front and bottom to right of center of vehicle. Removed the metal plate above and in front of radiator to reach bottom push pin.
I don't remember how I pulled the plastic piece out, but I think it went under the radiator on the right.

Fourth pic is lower grill opened by cutting plastic tab. You can also just bend it back.
Attached Images

nuptualnemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #26
southerncarparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Jim, is the Camaro5 price what show's on your site for the Halltech CAI?

Thanks!
Michael J.
Yes, sure is.....

Thanks,

Jim