Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #29
Bobbyosto

Drives: 2013 Camaro & 2012 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post
There isn't going to be a Z28.
I agree; with the ZL1 set to come out there will be no Z28.
Bobbyosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #30
sprtplt

Drives: Corvette
I'm guessing the only way any of us are getting a Z-28 now is if we buy some badges and swap them out on the Zl1. Obviously, this IS the Z designation car for now.
sprtplt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #31
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The Z28 was the name I wanted...but if they have any inkling of using this name on a track-spec Camaro...it's not the formula of car I'd want...so I can't say I'm committed any longer to the name (at least I mean I wouldn't buy it).

The goal, I think, should be a no excuses; take no prisoners factory race car...show the "Boss" how it's done. It won't be for everyone, it'll be uncomfortable, and it'll be impractical. They'll sell few of them...but they'll be the envy of every racer and racer-wannabe in the market.

For those completely discounting it...don't. The Z28 is as hallowed, or more, of a name as ZL1. Chevy knows this...and they won't let it rot for the greatest generation of Camaro to date...just don't expect it to appear anytime soon...they're STILL testing the ZL1...
Old 02-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #32
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I think most of you folks know Chevrolet is still considering the Z28. Since we know what the ZL1 is, what would you want the Z28 to be?

Obviously we don't want to see the same car with a different badge so what say you?

My wish list for a 5th gen Z is:

1. No RS - make standard headlights the DRLs. This will allow you to....
2. Remove fog lights. Use that space for real front brake duct work and/or air intake.
3. Functional rear brake cooling ducts.
4. A/C delete (this will drop 100 pounds out of the car). Make it optional.
5. No auto.
6. Drivetrain (tranny back), suspension, brakes and exhaust from the ZL1.
7. Lightest production wheels possible.
8. Track pack option which deletes back seat, all sound insulation, the 50 pounds of caulking, rubber floor mat instead of carpet and light weight racing seats.
9. ZR1 engine is okay but consider the upcoming 5.5.

Bottom line is that I would like to see an all business car.

Moderators can move this thread once a Z28 section is re-created (you are going to need it).
No RS? I hope you mean by no RS meaning take away the dumb DRL's and keep the halo lights because the old fashion lights are ugly and take away from the cars aggressive looks. The Z28 is suppose to be more like a track car vs a drag car. I would be interested in more carbon fiber usage than the ZL1.
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #33
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
5.5L motor, with no boost adders. make it scream
19'x10 Forged aluminum rims(ssx??) with PS2 tires. make it as nimble as possible
MRS shocks/struts, 6 pot brembos(ZL1 suspension)
Simular drive train from the SS.
Interior would be the same as the SS2 with recaro seats. rear seat delete.
Areo package outside for downforce.
Loads of cooling from the outside for the brakes.
What ever doesnt need to be there take it out. save all the weight you can.
better rear end gear.
tie down and stiffen the suspension.

just want gm to take there time on the z28. like what ford is doing with the boss. perfect this track oriented car. set a bench mark car and destory it.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #34
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2016 SS
Btw we should all agree that the Boston Acoustic sound system should go. We need a better system in these amazing cars.
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #35
zero

Drives: Black 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post
There isn't going to be a Z28.
I kinda agree if ford is only gonna do the Boss for 2 years, why make a Z-28 to go after a mustang GT when you have the SS ?
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #36
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
it needs the halo headlights, every camaro needs them imo

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #37
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I think most of you folks know Chevrolet is still considering the Z28. Since we know what the ZL1 is, what would you want the Z28 to be?

Obviously we don't want to see the same car with a different badge so what say you?

My wish list for a 5th gen Z is:

1. No RS - make standard headlights the DRLs. This will allow you to....
2. Remove fog lights. Use that space for real front brake duct work and/or air intake.
3. Functional rear brake cooling ducts.
4. A/C delete (this will drop 100 pounds out of the car). Make it optional.
5. No auto.
6. Drivetrain (tranny back), suspension, brakes and exhaust from the ZL1.
7. Lightest production wheels possible.
8. Track pack option which deletes back seat, all sound insulation, the 50 pounds of caulking, rubber floor mat instead of carpet and light weight racing seats.
9. ZR1 engine is okay but consider the upcoming 5.5.

Bottom line is that I would like to see an all business car.

Moderators can move this thread once a Z28 section is re-created (you are going to need it).
z28's history!..forget it!..they would only be competing with each other!..too
expensive to develop both of them!..just sayin!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #38
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
I don't see it happening in this generation. The ZL1 isn't even coming out until first quarter 2012, and the sixth generation is slated the drop in 2015 (if i'm not mistaken).

If it WERE to happen this generation, there is little R&D time left to really do anything but an SS with lightweight rims and many options deleted. Just my $0.02.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #39
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
I'm thinking if a Z28 comes out it won't be until GM releases their new line of engines. Although I would like to se something along an SS with the addition of the Active Suspension and brake set up from the ZL1. Along with lighter parts, such as no power seats,lighter wheels and tires and the use of lighter materials in the body panels.

Basically doing something like they did with the Corvette when they used the Z06 parts to create the Corvette Gran Sport.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #40
Fesler

Drives: 1969 Camaro and 2010 Camaro's
A Fesler LS-9 Camaro
Old 02-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #41
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Just curious on where this hang up is for lightweighting the car. The only thing Lightweight about the original Z28 was that it had a smaller displacement engine that was lighter than the highest HP big blocks, but that was required by the rules for racing. Otherwise it was mostly parts bin stuff.

So I'm just wondering why everyone seems so hung up on having the car be lighter than the car is? That starts to sound like Mustang envy to me.

I'm not sure there was ever a Z28 that had "special" light weight materials or lack of materials over the stock car.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
AGREE with you! I just dont remember is there was A/C or P/S delete. But they all had hand crank windows if I recall. AND they had a CHOICE of rear end gear ratios! I think GM would be wise to offer that from factory! I simply see the ZL1 as THE top dog! No wonderment about that!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #42
GMPilot

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS VR
What's the one thing that all of the snob-blogs and Brand X fan boys hang their hats on? Weight. We know it. GM knows it. "THAT SLOMARO'S A PIGGG RARARARRR!" Even if it's a few percentile more that a Mustang and less than a Challenger, it's still the sole talking point with any merit whatsoever.

With the Alpha being lighter from the start and reportedly less costly, I feel that a 3600lb car with 450+ horses is possible for 50K. Things like forged carbon fiber will make lightweight materials more cost effective as time goes on.

That being said, my only requirement is for it to smoke the BOSS on any track known to man. Less weight, gearing, and a trick suspension should do it. We already have capable powerplants.

I have the utmost respect and admiration for the GM Team, and know it's not "if" but "when".
GMPilot is offline   Reply With Quote