Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #337
MaloCS

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Edition, 2SS Auto
I think the problem is the center speaker tends to distort easier at higher volumes. I've noticed that at lower volumes the stereo sounds pretty darn good but when I crank the volume into the high 20's and above I notice pronounced distortion.

I find myself cranking the stereo louder in order to achieve more bass impact but the very act of cranking the stereo causes distortion in the mids and treble. I believe the problem will solve itself once I can install an after market amp/sub to augment the lower frequencies. This should allow me to keep the stereo in the lower 20s but still have the hard hitting bass I'm used to. As a result, the stereo should be operating without distortion resulting in a better overall listening experience.

I'd bet next month's mortgage payment that my upcoming amp/sub solves my distortion problem due to the fact I won't have to turn up the volume as loud in order to get some ass shaking bass.
MaloCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #338
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Well I just tried this and decided to leave the center speaker connected. I left the radio on and did a back to back comparison for XM, FM and iPod. What I did find out is you can set the tone independently for each band in MyLink which I didn't know.
I did this too, I like the sound system better with the center speaker connected. I don't know what you guys hear so GREAT by disconnecting it.

By the way, where is the factory amp located?

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:17 AM   #339
dixonk

Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
I tried this for about a week. I put the center speaker back in. It sounded more full with center in.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #340
Twilborne

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray Blue 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
I did this too, I like the sound system better with the center speaker connected. I don't know what you guys hear so GREAT by disconnecting it.

By the way, where is the factory amp located?

Russ
The amp is in the trunk. Left rear behind the plastic trim panel.
Twilborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #341
niznos

Drives: 2010 2SS MT RS
I just the unplugging on a 2010 and 2 of the 3 tabs on the side toward the windshield broke. Probably because it's older and the plastic had more time to become brittle and broke a lot easier. Once reinstalled, it didn't rattle or look like it didn't fully seat, so I'm not worried about it. I know it's broken in there so I'm slightly miffed, but oh well. It's not worth the expense to replace since it's not rattling or popped up in any way.

I did find that it sounded better. For all those that did not like the new sound, keep in mind, technically, the disconnect is not the whole mod, you have to retune your EQ to have your highest setting at 0 and all others in the negatives. It might actually sound better if you did this to further clear up the sound. For example, I went from Treb2, mid0, bass4; to -2, -4, 0. Some of you who didn't like it may still be way up in the positives.

I used a twist-tie to hold the unplugged wire to the bottom of the speaker to keep from losing it into the dash. No rattles from the cover or the wire after a quick test drive. I might try to do the G8 resistor thing later to lower the volume and reconnect the center when I have time, but for now, it's staying disconnected.
niznos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #342
savage4625

Drives: 2010 camaro ss a6
did it, love it
savage4625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #343
card21doc

Drives: 13 Hotwheels Camaro 2SS
Ths system is superior to my 09 G8 GT with the "premium" stereo. After I installed infinity kappas in the doors, disabled the rear subs and put in an infinity basslink, the G8 sounded pretty good. Oh, I also changed out the front speaker for a 8 om speaker and then it didn't dominate.

On the camaro, I just unplugged the front speaker and I felt the sound needed some fill in. I'm going to replace the front speaker with an 8 om speaker, and hook up my basslink and see what it sounds like.

I haven't looked at the stock amp yet. Does any one know if you can adjust the bass boost on the stock amp?

If this works, I'll only spend about $20 to make it sound decent. If It doesn't work, I'll spend a little more and get infinity kappas in the doors. If that doesn't work, then I'll get a new amp.

I'm hoping exchanging the front speaker and adjusting the bass plus adding the basslink works, then I will spend the money on a solo axleback and a range afm delete
card21doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:26 AM   #344
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by niznos View Post
I just the unplugging on a 2010 and 2 of the 3 tabs on the side toward the windshield broke. Probably because it's older and the plastic had more time to become brittle and broke a lot easier. Once reinstalled, it didn't rattle or look like it didn't fully seat, so I'm not worried about it. I know it's broken in there so I'm slightly miffed, but oh well. It's not worth the expense to replace since it's not rattling or popped up in any way.

I did find that it sounded better. For all those that did not like the new sound, keep in mind, technically, the disconnect is not the whole mod, you have to retune your EQ to have your highest setting at 0 and all others in the negatives. It might actually sound better if you did this to further clear up the sound. For example, I went from Treb2, mid0, bass4; to -2, -4, 0. Some of you who didn't like it may still be way up in the positives.

I used a twist-tie to hold the unplugged wire to the bottom of the speaker to keep from losing it into the dash. No rattles from the cover or the wire after a quick test drive. I might try to do the G8 resistor thing later to lower the volume and reconnect the center when I have time, but for now, it's staying disconnected.
Well that makes sense, dang now I have to try it again.
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #345
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Not sure about the EQ settings. I don't know how you can get any bass with it set to -2. I use the 'rock' preset, but I bumped the bass up a few notches and fade 2 to the rear. So I think my settings are:

Treb: 0
Mid: 0
Bass: 8

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #346
niznos

Drives: 2010 2SS MT RS
Not trying to sound like a smarta$$ but setting it to -2 isn't going to suck 2 bass units out of the air, but it trims it down so that you can turn the speakers up more before the bass starts to distort the stock speakers.

In the end though, if you tried it the other way, and still like it at 0, 0, 8, then it's all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Not sure about the EQ settings. I don't know how you can get any bass with it set to -2. I use the 'rock' preset, but I bumped the bass up a few notches and fade 2 to the rear. So I think my settings are:

Treb: 0
Mid: 0
Bass: 8
niznos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #347
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Run a sub, Center is disconnected, stock BA system, but amp is JL XD 400

I like bass 0,mid 0, treb +1or 2
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #348
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by niznos View Post
Not trying to sound like a smarta$$ but setting it to -2 isn't going to suck 2 bass units out of the air, but it trims it down so that you can turn the speakers up more before the bass starts to distort the stock speakers.

In the end though, if you tried it the other way, and still like it at 0, 0, 8, then it's all good.
Yeah, it could depend on how high you normally turn the volume. I rarely go over 20, so it doesn't distort. Depending on the source, or song, I might have drop the bass down a notch or two.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #349
Camaroshark

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Run a sub, Center is disconnected, stock BA system, but amp is JL XD 400

I like bass 0,mid 0, treb +1or 2
I am close to this...

XD 400/4 replaced stock amp. Crossover points on amp are at about 85 on front and 80 on rears.

My radio settings are at Bass 1, mids at 0, and treble at 1.

Not perfect but decent enough. Amp gains are at about 25% on front and rears a little less ...say 10-15%.

I also have a secondary amp running the ******** stealth box with a single kicker 12" in there on a Kicker 400.1 amp.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #350
sliver

Drives: 2012 2lt rs
Ive been reading about this for a while now, I decides to give it a try... i went the cutting of the yellow wire, very easy to find and get to. My preference is for sure leave it cut.. Music to me sounds crisper in all aspects! Sounds like premium sound now!
sliver is offline   Reply With Quote