Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-17-2020, 09:58 PM   #15
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Do the bed in procedure listed in your owners manual. Bed in is the process of transferring a very thin, even layer of pad material onto the rotor surface. The resulting transfer layer will create "adherent friction" when you step on the pedal.

https://www.pureforge.com/blog/blog/...riction-part-1
https://www.pureforge.com/blog/abras...dherent-part-2

https://www.apcautotech.com/getmedia...k-8-2018_1.pdf
Old 07-18-2020, 12:07 AM   #16
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
so i assume no one "bedded" in the brakes when the cars had 3 miles on them driving off the dealer lot.
this concept is new to me i never did it or read instructions that say to do it.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:32 AM   #17
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontwist View Post
so i assume no one "bedded" in the brakes when the cars had 3 miles on them driving off the dealer lot.
this concept is new to me i never did it or read instructions that say to do it.
Factory brakes don't require bed-in.

Aftermarket systems will have a bed-in process. You won't see a bed-in
process for factory brakes in your owners manual. When you buy Brembo,
Hawk, and so forth, THEY have a bed-in process.

Following the bed-in procedures provided by the manufacturer will assure a
smooth, even layer of transfer film on the rotor and will minimize brake judder.
Show me the GM procedure for base model car brakes...

I cannot bed-in brakes, because I drive 376 miles a day. I can't follow
the 100 miles at 30-50 mph, then 250 mile crap.. I can never do it with
the use of the vehicle.

However, most aftermarkets will say:
  1. The bedding-in process requires lots of accelerating and quick decelerating. Perform this process early in the morning and in a low-traffic area so that you avoid other vehicles.
  2. From 60 MPH, apply the brakes gently a few times to bring them up to their usual operating temperature. This prepares your pads and rotors for the high heat generated in the next steps.
  3. Make a near-stop from 60 to about 10 MPH. Press the brakes firmly, but not so hard that the ABS engages or the wheels lock. Once you've slowed down, immediately speed up to 60 MPH and apply the brakes again. Perform this cycle 8-10 times. Do not come to a complete stop! If you hold the brake pedal down while stopped you will leave excessive pad material on the rotors and ruin your braking performance.
  4. Once you've performed that final near-stop, accelerate and drive a bit more, trying to use the brakes as little as possible so they can cool down. Again, do not come to a complete stop while the brakes are still hot. (Avoid traffic!)
  5. If you are bedding in performance/racing brakes, you may have to perform extra near-stops from a higher speed.
Some more notes about bedding:
  • Brand new brake pads and rotors will have very little braking power on their first few applications. Gently apply your brakes from low speeds a few times to establish some grip before you take your vehicle onto the highway or busy roads.
  • Don't immediately bed your brakes if you have brand new rotors with phosphate, cadmium, or zinc plating. Do some normal driving to polish the plating off the rotors before bedding in your brakes.
  • After you perform the break-in cycle you should see a light gray film and a slight blue tint on the rotor face. The gray film is material from the pads transferring onto the rotor face, and the blue tint indicates that the rotor has reached the proper break-in temperature. These are good signs that you have bedded your brakes properly.
  • Some brakes, such as big brake kits or new pads installed onto old rotors, may require a second bed-in cycle. Let the brakes cool down fully before performing the second cycle.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote