Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-25-2018, 02:32 AM   #1
Starfall
1bad6

Drives: 2010 camaro
Camaro v6 shooting flames / popping

I'm extremely curious about a video i recently seen on a v6 camaro shooting flames and popping, i really don't know much about any of this stuff. I'm not sure if it's because of a tune, or the exhaust setup he's running, So first i'm going to start with the video

https://youtu.be/SFPzvP1qcKk

Now to the questions, i have a mrt v1 axleback, stock cats and i still have resonaters, how can i get my car to pop and shoot flames like this? if i remove the res's and do straights, would that work?

How is he getting it to pop like that? Is he revving it up high and completely letting it off the gas or is he pressing his foot on the gas at around 3-4k to make it pop? My car pops alot at around 3-4k but i have to feather the throttle almost, and the pops aren't very loud

Is this happening because he has no cats/res's? Or is it because of the tune, if so what tuning companies offer this, i don't believe trifecta does. Thank you
Old 05-25-2018, 03:41 AM   #2
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
According to this vid (which YT conveniently started playing right after yours) you just have to run rich and ditch the cat:

GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
Starfall
1bad6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGreg View Post
According to this vid (which YT conveniently started playing right after yours) you just have to run rich and ditch the cat:

When people say ditch the cat, what do they mean? Isn't there o2 sensors? And how can i get my car to run rich if trifecta doesn't support anything like that
Old 05-25-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
ss_redrum

Drives: 2013 LS3 Camaro
I cant click the link b/c i'm at work. But Its probably called a 2 step. I have no cats and I dont shoot flames.
A cat is a catalytic converter. Helps with emissions (no smells). No cats = more free flowing exhaust.
You dont really want to run your car too "rich" or too "lean". I'm no mechanic so I can't say the negatives to running rich, just that i believe it dumps more fuel into the cylinder than necessary. (Correct me if I'm wrong people). Running too "lean" can destroy your engine.

-Previous Setup- Texas Speed 1 7/8 LT Headers, no cats, xpipe, muffler delete, K&N Cold Air Intake, tuned by DynoSteve

Youtube |Instagram
ss_redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #5
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
an old geezer at our local car show does this with his old merc.it smells like crap,runs bad,and people laugh at him behind his back.you have to run pig rich in order to shoot flames.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:57 AM   #6
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Dual-...Kit,23209.html

Or you can get a kit
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:47 PM   #7
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
OP, that definitely sounds like he has a 2-Step.

You're not going to be doing that while also driving around, as it is used as a form of launch control and cuts spark (or fuel depending on setup) to achieve this.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:02 PM   #8
Starfall
1bad6

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
OP, that definitely sounds like he has a 2-Step.

You're not going to be doing that while also driving around, as it is used as a form of launch control and cuts spark (or fuel depending on setup) to achieve this.
I didn't know they made 2step for camaros?

Edit: they have another video https://youtu.be/1Mu6L7b15I4 that sounds like the same camaro, and claim the same modifications, but they claim to have a custom tune mapping etc
Old 05-26-2018, 10:31 PM   #9
Starfall
1bad6

Anyone else have any opinions on if this is a tune or 2step etc?