Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 06-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #267
fishface

Drives: 2011 RS/SS Camaro Convertible
The main thing I have seen is the tops are only as good as the person installing them. It could be the perfect top but if put on wrong problems period. These as we all know are not the easiest tops to install so you need to find the best top guy around you. I got lucky with my guy he had taken off my orginal top and then had to put that same one back on(long story) but since that no more rub marks at all and this is same top as before. I could be wrong but just my thoughts
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #268
SSTOKED

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
That VIN is actually before my build. My build was on 4/4/12 9191068 which is the 91068 car off the line. The ones they found are 88330 and 33413. I would stay way the hell away from 33143. My first car was 3015. Find one with a build a thousand earlier than mine. If not, stay away from it. My 2 cents
88330 is the one I own and it HAS the problem. So the fix was somewhere between mine and yours assuming "the fix" really fixed the leak problem!
SSTOKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #269
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I talked to Becky about the top issues and she told me that their "Top guy" has been working with the GM factory top designer and is now an expert in the tops and how they should be installed and work. She is going to have him go completely over the top and all the works to make sure everything is up to specs. If everything checks out we will be picking up the car next Monday.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #270
11BEE
11 BEE

Drives: 2011 LS2 RS & 2012 2SS RS 45th Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
I talked to Becky about the top issues and she told me that their "Top guy" has been working with the GM factory top designer and is now an expert in the tops and how they should be installed and work. She is going to have him go completely over the top and all the works to make sure everything is up to specs. If everything checks out we will be picking up the car next Monday.
I wish you luck. I cannot be happier with the install Robbin's Chevrolet did on my car. It works great and is super tight.

11Bee and I♥My45th
11BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #271
SSTOKED

Quote:
Good luck, you are brave getting an older VIN number. My dealership has zero experience with top repairs. I am their guinea pig for fixing Camaro leaks. I am not looking forward to this. I already created a service request number via Chevrolet Customer Service which informs the GM district manager (just in case).
Old 06-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #272
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTOKED View Post
Good luck, you are brave getting an older VIN number. My dealership has zero experience with top repairs. I am their guinea pig for fixing Camaro leaks. I am not looking forward to this. I already created a service request number via Chevrolet Customer Service which informs the GM district manager (just in case).
I am getting so good a deal it is hard to just walk away from. Like I have said before, in over 40 years buying GM vehicles I have yet to get a car that could not be repaired under warranty. Even a couple cases got repairs done after the warranty expired. Remember they are human too and make mistakes. Nobody and nothing is ever perfect.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #273
SSTOKED

Quote:
I am getting so good a deal it is hard to just walk away from. Like I have said before, in over 40 years buying GM vehicles I have yet to get a car that could not be repaired under warranty. Even a couple cases got repairs done after the warranty expired. Remember they are human too and make mistakes. Nobody and nothing is ever perfect.
I agree with your ideas. I'm considering my situation where I got my car with the employee discount and another $950 off and I don't know if I would have pulled the trigger if I did my research first (even though I am an employee and faithful GM supporter). I think I would have waited a bit longer and waited for the bugs to get ironed out. Tough call 'cause this car was on my bucket list ever since my older brother had a 1976 Camaro when I wasn't old enough to drive. Thanks for having faith in GM. I guess convertible buyers know some of the risks (reasonable or not reasonable). Be sure to do a thorough water check and don't wait for the wet carpet.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #274
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTOKED View Post
I agree with your ideas. I'm considering my situation where I got my car with the employee discount and another $950 off and I don't know if I would have pulled the trigger if I did my research first (even though I am an employee and faithful GM supporter). I think I would have waited a bit longer and waited for the bugs to get ironed out. Tough call 'cause this car was on my bucket list ever since my older brother had a 1976 Camaro when I wasn't old enough to drive. Thanks for having faith in GM. I guess convertible buyers know some of the risks (reasonable or not reasonable). Be sure to do a thorough water check and don't wait for the wet carpet.
I got to going over everythig in my head and if I am figuring this correctly with our discounts we are getting the new Vert for just under $1000 more than what I paid for the 2010 2 1/2 years ago. with the addition of the back up sensors and rear view camera and the other things in the C&C package we don't have now I figured it is an even better deal, I just couldn't pass it up.
here is the pics and info I got from the Web on this car.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #275
fishface

Drives: 2011 RS/SS Camaro Convertible
Update new unit in having replaced next Thursday.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #276
SSTOKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
Update new unit in having replaced next Thursday.
Curious, what is your VIN number? It would interesting to see a VIN number vs. water leak tracking list to just see how well the problem has been contained.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #277
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
my vin is 88530 and have the issues...broken 5th bow( repaired).
currently in for fishtank in rear passenger floor area.My dealer is fully aware of the issues and the GM service bulletin...keeping my fingers crossed on a good fix.
They did a great job on the 5th bow and I have a better seal at the trunk area than what came out of the factory originally.
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #278
Tiberious
Old '71 Owner

Drives: 11 Camaro Vert;97 Malibu;03 Venture
So if, as rumor has it, there is a new roof mechanism rolling out of GM, does anyone know when it's due to hit the streets or are these replacements getting the old mechanism? BTW, top "fix" didn't do a darned thing, seeing the wear marks re-forming on the rare occasion I get to drive mine. They'd buffed them out to some extent but you can't buff out where it's wearing through the material....but it made them harder to spot. They're largely back now. Good luck Fishface with your replacement!
Tiberious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #279
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Update: other dealer had let the white one out as a loaner vehicle, Becky is finding us another car now.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #280
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
just got mine back from 2d new top (1 fabric, this one all mechanisms too)...how do I post pictures on this forum?
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote