Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 02-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #1
billk

Drives: 2013 SS1LE
Removal of 1LE Splitter

What I am attempting may be sacrilegious, but I want to do it anyway! I would like to to install the Z/28 style front splitter on my 2013 1LE. I like the more aggressive look.

As I started to look into removing the 1LE splitter I noticed that replacing it may be more difficult than I had expected.

Has anyone removed the 1LE splitter to install a different splitter?
billk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I think I have seen some with the Z/28 splitter but I don't have links to the install. I recommend you do the Z//28 spoiler as well otherwise you will offset the balance of the car (undsteer/oversteer).

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #3
billk

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I think I have seen some with the Z/28 splitter but I don't have links to the install. I recommend you do the Z//28 spoiler as well otherwise you will offset the balance of the car (undsteer/oversteer).
I am doing the spoiler as well. that install is far more straightforward. The 1LE splitter removal is posing a challenge. I know that I can remove it, but there are a ton of rivets and I am unsure if the rivet holes left over will be covered by the the new splitter. Hopefully someone has tried it or knows better than I.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Do you have a 2014-15 front fascia? I don't think it will work with a 13.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:05 AM   #5
billk

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
Do you have a 2014-15 front fascia? I don't think it will work with a 13.
No, I have a 2013 1LE and the Z28 style splitter I am looking at is for the 2010-2013 front fascia. It appears it would fit once the 1LE splitter is removed. I was just hoping for some help in understanding how best to remove the splitter and where the rivet holes will be left on the bumper so I know if they will be covered.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:28 AM   #6
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Want to sell me the 13 splitter once you remove it??

The river holes are underneath, you won't see them. Your new splitter probably uses the same holes.
2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS M6 | LSA Blower, 2.5" pulley, 10% lower, FIC1000's, Fore Innovations Twin Pump fuel system w/ Flex Fuel, CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ catless off-road pipes, NPP Exhaust, 3.91's, JLT ZL1 Intake, Prospeed Heat Exchanger | Pfadt Suspension, 1LE Sway Bars | DSS 1000hp axles |
Tuned by Ryne @ CMS E85: 734rwhp/636rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:30 AM   #7
billk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_SS View Post
Want to sell me the 13 splitter once you remove it??
Would love to. Just need to ensure that my new splitter will work first...

I'll PM you if I am able to go ahead with the swap.

I can tell you that you will need purchase some hardware to install it. It is held on by both plastic and metal rivets.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:13 AM   #8
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by billk View Post
No, I have a 2013 1LE and the Z28 style splitter I am looking at is for the 2010-2013 front fascia. It appears it would fit once the 1LE splitter is removed. I was just hoping for some help in understanding how best to remove the splitter and where the rivet holes will be left on the bumper so I know if they will be covered.
Man, I don't see how that will fit flush but I really hope it works out. Are you saying you have found one that is made to mimic the Z28 splitter, but made for the 2010-2013 models?

Would love to see a '13 retro fitted with the Z28 front splitter!!
Old 02-23-2015, 11:16 AM   #9
billk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Man, I don't see how that will fit flush but I really hope it works out. Are you saying you have found one that is made to mimic the Z28 splitter, but made for the 2010-2013 models?

Would love to see a '13 retro fitted with the Z28 front splitter!!
Yes, it is a replica splitter, not the actual GM part. I certainly am hoping to see it on my car very soon! Just want to avoid unnecessary body work...
Old 02-23-2015, 12:11 PM   #10
Camarotobeornottobe

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_SS View Post
The river holes are underneath, you won't see them. Your new splitter probably uses the same holes.
This is soooooo untrue. I had to replace my 1LE splitter (with another), and I can tell you there are multiple rivet holes up top on the bumper that would otherwise show.

As for using the same holes, I couln't use the same holes when replacing with the exact same piece, which was okay since the new splitter covered everything. But, there is no stinkin' way a different splitter uses the same holes.

What no one will be able to tell you is whether the new one covers all the holes. My advice would be to be prepared to reinstall the old splitter if holes are showing . . . or prepare for some body work. Another options would be to just replace the entire lower bumper.
Camarotobeornottobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #11
billk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarotobeornottobe View Post
This is soooooo untrue. I had to replace my 1LE splitter (with another), and I can tell you there are multiple rivet holes up top on the bumper that would otherwise show.

As for using the same holes, I couln't use the same holes when replacing with the exact same piece, which was okay since the new splitter covered everything. But, there is no stinkin' way a different splitter uses the same holes.

What no one will be able to tell you is whether the new one covers all the holes. My advice would be to be prepared to reinstall the old splitter if holes are showing . . . or prepare for some body work. Another options would be to just replace the entire lower bumper.
That's what I was afraid of... Thanks for the info. When I crawled underneath, I could see some the rivets and they looked like they were a bit higher up on the bumper.

Since you pulled on off, how is it attached? Is there a mount that the splitter attaches to? Also, on the sides, it looks like there is some adhesive. Once the adhesive is 'broke" and the plastic rivets on the underside are removed, will it slide off? Any input on how you removed it would be extremely helpful. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:29 PM   #12
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
I would just install the 1LE splitter extension from Aero Sports Concept http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=395587&page=3 and call it a day.

Looks flush and clean, looks good, looks functional, and the best part, a whole lot easier to install me thinks, as opposed to removing yours, then reinstalling with something else, and then stressing out over fit n finish.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:10 PM   #13
billk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
I would just install the 1LE splitter extension from Aero Sports Concept http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=395587&page=3 and call it a day.

Looks flush and clean, looks good, looks functional, and the best part, a whole lot easier to install me thinks, as opposed to removing yours, then reinstalling with something else, and then stressing out over fit n finish.
It does look nice and I may go that route (although I hate the ashen grey color of the 1LE splitter), but I really like the aggressive look of the Z splitter. I really just wanted to see of feasible it would be, without too much additional effort. Thanks for the input and link, I appreciate it!

That is what is great about these forums.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:20 PM   #14
Sigelitest

Drives: White 2016 Z06
pics of the rivets

rivets on side
Attached Images