Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
aalsalem

Drives: 2011 Chev Camaro 2SS
Borla Catback ATAK Vs S-type

Ok guys, need your help. Im in the market for a new exhaust system, and im tossed between Borla Catback ATAK and S-type. Is there really that much of a difference in the sound? I drive my car every day to work and back, don’t want it too load like a drag car but would like a good deep sound to it,that when I step on it you hear.

Ps: my SS is a convertible, in other words would the ATAK be too loud?
Please help!!!!!
aalsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
mikester0612
Camaro 5 Muscle

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS L99
Depends on if you currently have headers right now or plan on getting headers in the future. Borla ATAK, as said by many people on here, sounds pretty perfect without headers (good amount of loud). On the other hand, Borla ATAK with headers is really loud in my opinion. I have heard it in person. To me, I like loud so its not a big issue. Many people say that the S-Type fits them better. Loud when they want it but soft when cruising. It all depends on if you are going to get headers or not.
TSW Donington 22" Matte Black / Corsa Cat-Back Exhaust / Kooks Signature Stepped Headers 1 3/4" - 1 7/8" / High Flow Cats / Custom Tune / CAI Cold Air Intake / BMR 1" Lowering Springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Heritage Grill / Havoc Rear Diffuser
mikester0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
kmm1412
The Bolt-On Beast

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM w/CGM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester0612 View Post
Depends on if you currently have headers right now or plan on getting headers in the future. Borla ATAK, as said by many people on here, sounds pretty perfect without headers (good amount of loud). On the other hand, Borla ATAK with headers is really loud in my opinion. I have heard it in person. To me, I like loud so its not a big issue. Many people say that the S-Type fits them better. Loud when they want it but soft when cruising. It all depends on if you are going to get headers or not.

I got the S-Type because I have headers and it cruises nice and sounds great at WOT. That is just my personal taste and opinion.
MODS - 1LE Track Pack Suspension Upgrade|Kooks Custom Stepped Headers & HFCs|Cold Air Inductions Black CAI|ADM Performance Scoop|Vmax IBM CNC Ported Throttle Body|Rx Extreme IBM Catch Can & Breather|Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust w/Solo J-pipes|IBM Heritage Grill|LG ZL1 10 Spoke Replica Wheels w/Goodyear Supercar G2 Tires|Z/TA Rear Spoiler|463RWHP/459RWTQ Tune by Dale Cherry

kmm1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
aalsalem

Stock manifold right now, do you think the ATAK would be too annoying for an everyday car, and would there be any power difference?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
TJeezey

Drives: 2011 SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalsalem View Post
Stock manifold right now, do you think the ATAK would be too annoying for an everyday car, and would there be any power difference?
I have ARH LT's and the ATAK. It's only really loud on WOT and to be honest it sounds like how a muscle car should sound like. I love it and would not have it any other way.

TJeezey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalsalem View Post
No. Drone is minimal. Sound is an aggressive deep growl that turns into beast mode at WOT. Very livable setup. Any additional speed is gained from decreasing the weight over stock mufflers and perhaps the conversion to x-pipe (catback).

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
aalsalem

Sounds like ATAK will be it, thanks guys will let you know when there on.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
ATAK was too raspy for me. I love my S type. I have headers and cam etc now but I have had the S type on since the day I picked my car up from the dealer. Once I installed Solo J pipes I have been able to take two 3000 mile round trips to Toronto and back with no droning. In my opinion the ATAK would wear on me as I drive my car every day. 83,000 miles so far.
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Listen for yourself. Closest to hearing them all live you're going to get.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Hey - I have a vert SS as well. I went with the stype and love the tone, a real deep pitch at startup and I'm doing headers. Just as a heads up, when the top is up it can get loud in the car bc there is only cloth separating the truck from the rest of the interior. It's just something I didn't think about before - if it is loud in the coupe, it's louder in the convertible.
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
BlackSSLS3

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Black LS3
Cammed w/ Borla ATAK

I have the Borla ATAK axle-back with 21 CMC headers, high flow cats, x-pipe in unison with my heads and cam package. My SS sounds pretty mean compared to when I used to have the MBRP cat-back with just an intake. The SS definitely sounds more muscular and WOT throttle is excitingly unreal to me. People compliment its sound but a couple of my friends say the sound is too much inside the cabin. I drive a hardtop. Personally, I enjoy the sound and the drone is not bad during cruising. I will try to post a vid this week. Oklahoma weatherr has not been forgiving lately.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6, Black on Black, looks stock but listen to the rumble! Heads, 227/239 Comp Cam, Headers and X-Pipe, Borla ATAK Axleback Exhaust, Airaid CAI, Ported and Polished Throttle Body, Dyno tuned. Beautiful work by 21CMC. 473 RWHP, 430 RWTQ.
BlackSSLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #12
aalsalem

One other question is the S-type or the ATAK going to pass the legal dB limit in Texas? anyone know as am new in texas
Old 04-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
It is my understanding that texas has no set limit at this point.
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
aalsalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolltideSS View Post
Hey - I have a vert SS as well. I went with the stype and love the tone, a real deep pitch at startup and I'm doing headers. Just as a heads up, when the top is up it can get loud in the car bc there is only cloth separating the truck from the rest of the interior. It's just something I didn't think about before - if it is loud in the coupe, it's louder in the convertible.
Do you have any videos while driving with the top up?