Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
mikeec

Drives: 2011 RS/SS Vert IOM/IOM
NEW TOP - NEW ISSUES

Had a new top installed a month ago. It's been dropped twice since the install. Had the recall and all the TSB's done this morning. So I pointed out a couple of marks on the brand new top as well as the wrinkles. On the passenger side is an indent mark that was never on the original top. After the recall was done the service guy tells me that the indent is from laying against the frame, there is nothing they can do. So they acknowledge that there is a mark and a problem but can't do anything. I told him that they are the ones who made this problem. Nothing they can do. I need customer services number so I can open up a problem. This is ridiculous.
Attached Images

mikeec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
i think i've given up.. just going to let it fall apart if that's what's going to happen. Lemon law it and be done with it.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Although the top has those marks or wrinkles, does it appear that this will lead to the top becoming ripped?

I'm just curious because if you fold a pair of pants, usually after you unfold it, there are some wrinkles but the pants are not ripped.

How can fabric be folded and then not have some kind of temporary wrinkle aftewards?
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
69supersport396
Rick

Drives: 2012 IBM RS 'Vert
I have those same rub marks and wrinkles on my 2012! Only has 900 miles on it, but 90% of my driving is top down.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
themoneypit

Drives: 2012 45th convertible ss ls3
yup same here. mines only a week old, and has 500 miles on it. tops only been down twice! i went to the dealer today, had them take pictures to document it, and scheduled the "enhancements" to be done. after that, unless they recall it to replace the ENTIRE top assembly, i am going to let mine fall apart also, rip, rub, 5th bow, etc! then ill demand a complete new assembly when that happens.
themoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
mikeec

If the top is tight, you shouldn't have wrinkle marks, the original one never had such an issue. As for the marks, One of them will eventually become a hole if i continue to put the top down. One of the new marks that really concerns me is the indenture mark by the passenger side rear window. didn't come out well in the pic but you can feel the pinching that is being done to the weather stripping and will rip the stitching. That was not there on the old top either. A couple of the new issues have arisen since the dealership replaced the top. For a 45k car I shouldn't even have to think about these things let alone check my car every time I put the top up or down.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Top pic looks kinda similar to my latest and greatest disaster... I ran a thread on here without much response... GM looked at it and said they weren't sure what's causing it... mines pushing from the inside out, when the top is recessed... its nearly a full hole now. They're replacing the entire top mechanism shortly, so I'm waiting for that... said they'll figure out the cause when the tops apart for the install. Likewise, I never had this issue until the top replacement.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
mikeec

Keep us in the loop Drago. We've partners in crime since day one with our cars. I've had the 5th bow issue, window motor noise, top problems. Good luck with the new mechanism. I hope they are sending down an engineer. i started the paperwork process by calling my VIP customer service person at GM.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeec View Post
Had a new top installed a month ago. It's been dropped twice since the install. Had the recall and all the TSB's done this morning. So I pointed out a couple of marks on the brand new top as well as the wrinkles. On the passenger side is an indent mark that was never on the original top. After the recall was done the service guy tells me that the indent is from laying against the frame, there is nothing they can do. So they acknowledge that there is a mark and a problem but can't do anything. I told him that they are the ones who made this problem. Nothing they can do. I need customer services number so I can open up a problem. This is ridiculous.
Hey, Mike, it was nice to meet you at the get-together in F'burg yesterday.

I'm really sorry this is happening to your top again. Having seen rub marks for myself for the 1st time in person on your SS yesterday, it's very disturbing - almost shocking, to know what these little devils can and have evolved into (holes, fraying) and what a fair number of folks here have experienced and continue to experience.

I sincerely hope you get this latest top issue resolved to your fullest satisfaction - or a GM buy-back for a new IOM Camaro SS Convertible.

Please keep us updated on the status of your complaint and / or repair.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Last edited by Baba; 04-30-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
Top pic looks kinda similar to my latest and greatest disaster... I ran a thread on here without much response... GM looked at it and said they weren't sure what's causing it... mines pushing from the inside out, when the top is recessed... its nearly a full hole now. They're replacing the entire top mechanism shortly, so I'm waiting for that... said they'll figure out the cause when the tops apart for the install. Likewise, I never had this issue until the top replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeec View Post
Keep us in the loop Drago. We've partners in crime since day one with our cars. I've had the 5th bow issue, window motor noise, top problems. Good luck with the new mechanism. I hope they are sending down an engineer. i started the paperwork process by calling my VIP customer service person at GM.
Drago: as Mike and I were talking at the meet yesterday, Mke showed us his top's rub marks. During our conversation, your name as well as "tram two", "Sux", "nutbutt" and "birdible" came up as we follow the forum closely and mentioned other members who've posted extensively and in-depth with pics regarding your top issues.

Having seen rub marks in person for the 1st time yesterday, I certainly have gained a greater appreciation for your ongoing top problems and the grief and aggravation you guys are enduring in attempting to get your dealers and GM to remedy these problems once-and-for-all.

I certainly hope all of you get these problems remedied as I, too, would be highly PO'd if I had a $40+k Camaro with a design / materials flaw. I definitely feel for my fellow 5th Gen 'vert brethren.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #11
SnowVert

Drives: Inferno Orange 2013 SS/RS LS3 6M
I had the "enhancements" done to my top... still looks like crap and the dealership seems to be done correcting it. I'm going to have to call them and raise a stink so that I can get a new one...
SnowVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
SnowVert

Drives: Inferno Orange 2013 SS/RS LS3 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
Although the top has those marks or wrinkles, does it appear that this will lead to the top becoming ripped?

I'm just curious because if you fold a pair of pants, usually after you unfold it, there are some wrinkles but the pants are not ripped.

How can fabric be folded and then not have some kind of temporary wrinkle aftewards?
I would agree if these folds and wrinkles were temporary... You can leave it parked for weeks with the top up and the wrinkles don't go away.
SnowVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #13
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Thanks for the kind comments. Here is a pic of my black car after top replacement and a few cycles with the top down. The rub is coming from the inside from the cable. Mine was run incorrectly during the install. It almost wore through the top in a matter of days. This is not normal and I would request going forward the whole new mechanism and canvas.
Attached Images

"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
themoneypit

Drives: 2012 45th convertible ss ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
Thanks for the kind comments. Here is a pic of my black car after top replacement and a few cycles with the top down. The rub is coming from the inside from the cable. Mine was run incorrectly during the install. It almost wore through the top in a matter of days. This is not normal and I would request going forward the whole new mechanism and canvas.
hows the new one holding up?? keep us posted on that! if your new ride/top doesnt have any of these issues, then im going to demand a complete new assembly when this "fix" doesnt work... i will wait until i get holes, and 5th bow problem, then demand a complete new assembly. car has 5xx miles on it, and had it documented with pictures today at the dealership i bought it from. so if it comes to it, i can prove i have had problems since day one literally...
themoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote