Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 11-29-2018, 02:27 PM   #99
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
On the bright side, we could all be serfs living in a 3rd world country.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:49 PM   #100
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Here's a VERY interesting article about brand loyalty:

https://autoweek.com/article/car-lif...n=awdailydrive

The REALLY interesting part is the comments section below that. Although the article wasn't about any particular company, there are a lot of comments about GM, and even Camaro. Interestingly enough, the number one complaint about American manufacturers isn't styling or features; it's build quality number one, and price; value for the dollar.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #101
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
None of that junk in my driveway.
we have a honda del sol with 300,000 miles on it.been repainted 3 times,transmission redone twice,and reupholstered.motor has never been apart,still runs good and looks almost new.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:14 PM   #102
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Something I think NEVER gets discussed, or when it does it's always "oooh corporations are evil they must be taxed and heavily" is why our government doesn't change or adapt tax laws to make it far more lucrative for a company to make everything in America even while paying Americans a solid $20.00/hr. Don't fight corporations, embrace them. Make it so companies make far more money producing every single component in that television here in America while paying Americans $20.00/hr AND still sell that 60" LED TV for $1500.00 AND the corporation makes FAR more profits in doing so than if they produced it anywhere else in the world.
isnt that what that evil trump is doing?and wanting to keep out illegal aliens that are throwing rocks at our soldiers and scaling walls to enter our country without paperwork...what a horrible man.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:19 PM   #103
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
we have a honda del sol with 300,000 miles on it.been repainted 3 times,transmission redone twice,and reupholstered.motor has never been apart,still runs good and looks almost new.

I've had ~10 cars, my Volt and Camaro are my first "domestic". all the others were pretty fantastic and never once went in for anything but regular maintenance, except the 2000 Volkswagen, it had bad paint which was fixed.

I think GM has the best quality in Domestic, but still lags just a tad behind some other imports, but much better than in the 70's 80's and into the 90's.

Growing up my family had domestics and they all had major issues, until my Dad bought a 1988 Toyota 4X4, that thing was solid and so for most of my life, just based on my own anecdotal experiences, I stayed far away and never even considered a domestic, just didn't want to deal with the problems. But, i'm happy with my two Chevy's now and want to get a Silverado or Sierra.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:25 PM   #104
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
If you've been reading my posts, and I know you have, then you know that I am very vocal about the roadblock to success that GM's management is and has become. They got lucky with the 5th gen because a designer/enthusiast came up with the sketch, and they had long-time enthusiasts in the company who lobbied to produce it. They got lucky because the Transformers movie used that car as Bumble Bee. They got lucky when the SUV/truck market became the hot item, and were able to take advantage of it. I say "lucky" because none of that was due to their vision or leadership. In fact, you could say it happened in spite of them.

Ford created the Pony Car market in the 60's. The Germans created the economic 'people's car' market with the Volkswagen. The Japanese created the economy car market in the 70's. When our labor unions created a labor force that couldn't be fired, they began to think they were entitled to their job no matter what, and started doing the minimum effort which produced the lousy quality that our auto industry became known for, starting in the 70's. When that happened, the Japanese and Germans began producing quality cars that Americans began buying because they were built better. Those two cultures were discipline and honor based, whereas ours became entitled based. They took pride in what they did. Ours took advantage of not being able to get fired. They got fired eventually, when the companies/divisions they worked in went out of business. So who did they blame? "It's those foreigners!"

It's a long story with a lot of background that extends out across all layers of our society, it's not just GM or the auto industry. It all starts with attitudes and behaviors, and changing that is the only thing that's going to bring about the solution to the problems we're facing.
I took great pride in my workmanship while working at GM. You are incorrect.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:26 PM   #105
396ssrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
How's your 53 year old Honda running? My Chevelle runs very well.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:30 PM   #106
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
The way this topic has been treated on this forum is sad. This forum, like GM, is dying a tortured death....After all yesterday's thread closings, I think I'm throwing in the towel on this place....It's not worth the aggravation...

I'll just drive my 5th Gen until the wheels fall off....to hell with everything else.....

Here's the future and GM's destiny....Good luck...

Attachment 965906

Attachment 965907

What happens in this thing when the road comes to an end and its just a dirt road before you leading to a backwoods lake? What are you going to do....steer it with your feet.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:30 PM   #107
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I agree with Doc.

And I have to say America didn't fight to become a failure with a dysfunctional work culture either.

I'm an engineer and the stories i hear from other engineers who worked for union companies is always ridiculous. From defense contractors to car companies.

I'm not saying unions aren't necessary but the result in the usa has not been great.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:32 PM   #108
DenverTaco07

Quote:
How's your 53 year old Honda running? My Chevelle runs very well.
just because you have an old domestic that has been kept and babied, doesn't mean imports are trash. It's fine if you feel that way, it just doesn't make it true.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:34 PM   #109
Tyl3r

Drives: Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
just because you have an old domestic that has been kept and babied, doesn't mean imports are trash. It's fine if you feel that way, it just doesn't make it true.
Agree with you. I have had zero issues with my Hondas. They aren't as fun, but they are sure as heck much more reliable!
Tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #110
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
I took great pride in my workmanship while working at GM. You are incorrect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohvb1 View Post
So someone who has had his companies declare bankruptcy 6 times probably should not be listened to at all, let alone making economic policies correct?
No...incorrect. Trump has run hundreds of business entities. He turned 3million into $3billion. Its like turning 1000 into $100,000. Now....out of running 100s of entities not having some failures is a bit naīve don't you think? Its like a Pro. Black jack player, they know exactly what they are doing they also know they will lose a certain percentage but they also know they will win a hell of a lot more that they will lose. They key is you gotta play to win. Trump is a player, and he plays to win. The fact that he doesn't win every hand makes him a loser? His bank account proves you wrong.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:54 PM   #111
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
No...incorrect. Trump has run hundreds of business entities. He turned 3million into $3billion. Its like turning 1000 into $100,000. Now....out of running 100s of entities not having some failures is a bit naīve don't you think? Its like a Pro. Black jack player, they know exactly what they are doing they also know they will lose a certain percentage but they also know they will win a hell of a lot more that they will lose. They key is you gotta play to win. Trump is a player, and he plays to win. The fact that he doesn't win every hand makes him a loser? His bank account proves you wrong.

Actually, $3 million to $3 billion would be like $1000 to $1 million (despite my reluctance to further your point). And well, the Feds just raided someone's tax lawer's office, that someone better hope they don't find what they are looking for.

And IMO, it's not really hard to get up to the top rung when you start off with one foot on it, only 1% of 1% get that opportunity, and it's extremely hard to F it up, that is unless...your tax lawyer kept really good records of your lyin cheatin arse, or you are running a ponzi scheme and the chickens come home to roost a la Bernie Madoff.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:06 PM   #112
396ssrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyl3r View Post
Agree with you. I have had zero issues with my Hondas. They aren't as fun, but they are sure as heck much more reliable!

More reliable than exactly what?