Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-22-2018, 09:05 AM   #1
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Wicker bill and Track Performance

I was perusing a thread where some were debating adding the ZL1 1LE wing to the Z/28. Not sure it would get the results they're looking for since the front and rear aero must work in unison (and...the 1LE trunk had to be reinforced for the wing) but I digress. In that thread some were calling the wicker bill a gimmick and talking about how it slows the car at 100 MPH and whatnot. The latter may be true, so if interested in 1/4 miles times only then it may perform better sans wicker bill.

For those who are debating it, I thought this article may help clarify that it's a performance enhancer on the track. Also, keep in mind that it has 2 settings so it can be raised and lowered.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...-track-retest/

Also, I've had a slight itch for the ZL1 1LE, but that wing.... I just don't think I could do it. If tracking only, then for sure. Also, the LT4 is nice, but it's not an LS7. I've heard both (in stock fashion) on the street. The ZL1 sounded fairly crappy IMO whereas I could hear the Z/28 roar from 3 blocks away. Would like add'l HP and some more lope so modding the LS7 is likely my route. Plus, I just don't think I could hand over the keys to my Z w/out immediately regretting it.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #2
z28monster

Drives: 15 Z28, 17 GT350R
Greetings, Justified

I've actually seen the ZL1 1LE in person at a dealership without the back wing - guess the dealership hadn't installed it yet. It looked menacing as hell; gave it a lower rear stance, which I think is what is lacking on the Gen 6 camaro in general. GM absolutely nailed the front-end of the car with the Zl1 and Zl1 1LE, but I'm still not there with the looks of the rear end, but getting somewhat used to it.

For mid-60's, there's no doubt Zl1 1LE is a bargain, not to mention it made Hagerty's top 10 most collectible cars in the future - not that it matters to me or most fellow camaro members here, but at least it made the list:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ars/535553002/

Compared to our Z/28's, the ZL1 1LE platform, interior quality, and technology are no doubt better (and it should be), but I'm still partial to the sparse analog set-up of our cars. However, this is not to say that for 75K (MSRP), GM could have easily made the interior of the Z28's much nicer with carbon fiber parts and not add any additional weight, which is what I'm thinking of doing in the near future:

https://youtu.be/_Htg66c4UMY

Truth be told, GM should have given our Z28's at least 575HP as the 505HP is a bit low for the weight of the car.

As you know, Justified, I got my Z28 modded to 675HP and it has completely transformed to the car to a whole new level, it's incredible.

Either way, you can't go wrong with a modded Z28 or a 650HP ZL1 1LE. Both killer cars!

Last edited by z28monster; 04-22-2018 at 12:17 PM.
z28monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 12:15 PM   #3
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28 #80
Considering others have put high wings on, and have vouched for the benefit of it, I think it can and should be done if you are seriously tracking the car. Add dive planes up from and it should be a good balance. I am planning on it eventually for myself as I can see myself tracking competitively down the road.

Also, I want that HP level, Monster.. I am envious! lol. One day soon.
MrRaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28monster View Post
Greetings, Justified

I've actually seen the ZL1 1LE in person at a dealership without the back wing - guess the dealership hadn't installed it yet. It looked menacing as hell; gave it a lower rear stance, which I think is what is lacking on the Gen 6 camaro in general. GM absolutely nailed the front-end of the car with the Zl1 and Zl1 1LE, but I'm still not there with the looks of the rear end, but getting somewhat used to it.

For mid-60's, there's no doubt Zl1 1LE is a bargain, not to mention it made Hagerty's top 10 most collectible cars in the future - not that it matters to me or most fellow camaro members here, but at least it made the list:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ars/535553002/

Compared to our Z/28's, the ZL1 1LE platform, interior quality, and technology are no doubt better (and it should be), but I'm still partial to the sparse analog set-up of our cars. However, this is not to say that for 75K (MSRP), GM could have easily made the interior of the Z28's much nicer with carbon fiber parts and not add any additional weight, which is what I'm thinking of doing in the near future:

https://youtu.be/_Htg66c4UMY

Truth be told, GM should have given our Z28's at least 575HP as the 505HP is a bit low for the weight of the car.

As you know, Justified, I got my Z28 modded to 675HP and it has completely transformed to the car to a whole new level, it's incredible.

Either way, you can't go wrong with a modded Z28 or a 650HP ZL1 1LE. Both killer cars!
Yes... I can attest to your car being a beast! Believe that will be my path. I too have seen the ZL1 1LE and it's cool. Dig the carbon fiber accents in the interior, red seat belts, etc. I don't think the exterior looks better than the Z/28, however. 650 HP is enticing, but that's achievable w/ mods to the Z/28. As mentioned above I've heard the ZL1 on hard acceleration and it can't touch the brutal exhaust note of your car on hard accel.

Btw, I am okay with our interior with one exception....instead of alcantara (with exception of wheel) I wish they'd just used plastic. That alcantara doesn't look like it'll hold up over time.