Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #15
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
It does work, its just not as quick as you would like. But when you tell it to shift it does shift. Therefore it works.
it works in the same way a map pined to the dash works as a Nav system.
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #16
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
It does work, its just not as quick as you would like. But when you tell it to shift it does shift. Therefore it works.
That's just settling imo. If you are going to offer something to an enthuisiast community like ours, make it right or get rid of it. Otherwise it's just a gimmick. Tap shifting when set-up correctly is one of the best things a car can have as far as control is concerned. Just ask any Formula 1 driver. Has anyone here driven an automatic Porsche with a Tiptronic?
Old 09-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #17
Congoman775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
That's just settling imo. If you are going to offer something to an enthuisiast community like ours, make it right or get rid of it. Otherwise it's just a gimmick. Tap shifting when set-up correctly is one of the best things a car can have as far as control is concerned. Just ask any Formula 1 driver. Has anyone here driven an automatic Porsche with a Tiptronic?
my dad has a 911 4S with tiptronic, and i LOVE driving that car. not only is it faster than a manual, but it just feels cleaner, the car runs smoother, and if your in traffic, the car does the work for you.

one of the reasons im getting on the TapShift case is because if its not a good functional tool , why is it in the car?
Old 09-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
it works in the same way a map pined to the dash works as a Nav system.
Yes. I prefer paper maps anyway

Quote:
That system is an automated manual. This is a automatic with a manual mode. Completely different. A automated manual is for pure performance. This is a way to give you more control over an automatic -but its still an automatic at heart. Much like AWD vs 4wd. On the surface they are similar but for going all out there is no comparison between the two.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #19
Congoman775

Quote:

That system is an automated manual. This is a automatic with a manual mode. Completely different. A automated manual is for pure performance. This is a way to give you more control over an automatic -but its still an automatic at heart. Much like AWD vs 4wd. On the surface they are similar but for going all out there is no comparison between the two.
its not all that impressive.

how is the lag time on a corvette? i cant imagine someone driving a performance car settling.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #20
Hylton

Quote:

Yes, it is similar in design as the M3 but my point is about it's execution. We are talking about an electrical signal which can easily trigger the computer to up or downshift the tranny at the blink of an eye. We need this thing to change when WE the enthusiast want the tranny to change gears, not when some engineer at GM thinks it should be changing.

It should work the same way as a manual in the sense that if someone upshifts too early, the motor bogs (thanks skipshift in my '01) or if someone downshifts too early, the rear tires lock up.

Last edited by Hylton; 09-10-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #21
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
It sounds like you guys want the F1 style paddle shifters that have an automatically actuated clutch. Do you have any idea how much that would add to the cost of the car?

Besides if you can live with being 1-2 10ths slower to sixty you can get a real manual transmission. I know I sure can, besides those that are actually bothered by bing beat by an auto can always get performance upgrades.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:23 PM   #22
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestwilliams View Post
It sounds like you guys want the F1 style paddle shifters that have an automatically actuated clutch. Do you have any idea how much that would add to the cost of the car?

Besides if you can live with being 1-2 10ths slower to sixty you can get a real manual transmission. I know I sure can, besides those that are actually bothered by bing beat by an auto can always get performance upgrades.
Nobody is asking for a manual transmission (which a Porsche, M3 and F1 has). Just get the computer to upshift or downshift the auto tranny at the point we want. Pretty simple really.

You might beat me with the stick in a drag race but i'd serve you up on a plate in auto-X with a good paddle shift set-up.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:35 PM   #23
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
Quote:
Nobody is asking for a manual transmission (which a Porsche, M3 and F1 has). Just get the computer to upshift or downshift the auto tranny at the point we want. Pretty simple really.

You might beat me with the stick in a drag race but i'd serve you up on a plate in auto-X with a good paddle shift set-up.
A paddle with a torque converter is never going to be as crisp as you seem to want, besides it would be fun try at auto cross, and by the way not a big fan of drag racing. There might be an aftermarket for the manual trannies to give them better shifts possibly a reprogram for the computer aswell who knows.
Ps. I'd race you anytime, it would be fun to see how this turns out in the real world. By the way you'd probably kick my ass in either car doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #24
Congoman775

The auto/paddles are made to the feeling of a manual in an automatic car.

IMHO it fails to deliver on that, because its not .1 or .2 seconds, its well over a full second.

This may mean i will have to get a manual, but isnt that kind of sad to think about? if you dont want to SETTLE, you have to get a completely different tranny?
Old 09-10-2008, 01:06 PM   #25
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestwilliams View Post
A paddle with a torque converter is never going to be as crisp as you seem to want, besides it would be fun try at auto cross, and by the way not a big fan of drag racing. There might be an aftermarket for the manual trannies to give them better shifts possibly a reprogram for the computer aswell who knows.
Ps. I'd race you anytime, it would be fun to see how this turns out in the real world. By the way you'd probably kick my ass in either car doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun.
Race you around the track at Indy on the 21st.....
Old 09-10-2008, 01:25 PM   #26
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
How do we know if we have to settle? I know I havent driven a production 2010 Camaro yet.........
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #27
Congoman775

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnomac77 View Post
How do we know if we have to settle? I know I havent driven a production 2010 Camaro yet.........
I dont know, just speculating

its a minor aspect of the car which i hoped would have turned out better

i guess this means a manual for me! ohhh nooo!!! more fun...
Old 09-10-2008, 02:06 PM   #28
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
It might even be faster if the transmission is left in full auto and you just kick the pedal down to shift. Thats what I would prefer if I was getting an auto unless I needed to keep it in a certain gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
i guess this means a manual for me! ohhh nooo!!! more fun...
WOOT
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote