Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Houston to Denver with no tune...how much am I losing?

About 6 months ago I relocated for work from Houston to Denver. Haven't yet had a tune, but can tell my car is down on power (as I was expecting it to be...NA 416, blower cam, heads, etc..)

I want boost, but unfortunately $$ is a bit tight and that's not in the cards for a while, though I'm looking to get tuned in the next few months prior to having to register the vehicle here.

Until then, how much HP would a tune presumably get me back? I was at 470hp/460tq back in houston, and with no tune up here I'm feeling like a dog, and there are literally marks on the wall of the garage at work that I back up against from sh*t spraying out my exhaust...I'm guessing that it's quite rich, due to the altitude difference. I am also tuned for 93 octane, but can only get 91 here...not sure if that makes a huge difference when the altitude difference is taken into account, but there's that.

Any thoughts?
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:35 PM   #2
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I will soon be in the same boat as you, were moving to Conifer in 4 days. I haven't had my baby up there yet, i have had it in ELY Nevada 7000+' and were at around 8100' in Conifer. My car was down on power to say the least, but down here at sea level she's a beast. I read on here the other day there's a tuner in Colorado springs.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510894
Old 10-25-2017, 05:04 PM   #3
AG454
I am not "Fast & Furious"

Drives: 2010 Camaro LSX454 1LE
You're both going to need to get your tune leaned out a little. I think the ECM will compensate for altitude a little. As to how much power you might get back, probably not as much as you would like. No 93 octane here. I mix 100 octane to get to 92/93, but mine's not a DD. Welcome to the boomtown.
Don't wait up 'cause I'll be late, I'll be late
AG454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:45 PM   #4
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
yeah, I've tried my ass off reaching out to 3 shops here - RMCR in the Springs, Clint with AIR, and JS Performance and Tuning in Arvada.

Of the three, RMCR seems to have the best rep, but is FAKKING IMPOSSIBLE to get in touch with, Clint is the same, but JS I've talked with about 3x on various things, and they have been great. Seeing as how they're in Arvada I will be going to check them out at some point, but I'm hoping to wait til springtime and see how my bonus looks...if luck is on my side then I may have the opportunity to do a few things as well as a tune keeping my fingers crossed!!
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:55 PM   #5
AG454
I am not "Fast & Furious"

Drives: 2010 Camaro LSX454 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazy View Post
yeah, I've tried my ass off reaching out to 3 shops here - RMCR in the Springs, Clint with AIR, and JS Performance and Tuning in Arvada.

Of the three, RMCR seems to have the best rep, but is FAKKING IMPOSSIBLE to get in touch with, Clint is the same, but JS I've talked with about 3x on various things, and they have been great. Seeing as how they're in Arvada I will be going to check them out at some point, but I'm hoping to wait til springtime and see how my bonus looks...if luck is on my side then I may have the opportunity to do a few things as well as a tune keeping my fingers crossed!!
Yeah, Mike and Mark at RMCR are very hard to get in touch with. They do great work though. Springtime is when they are the busiest. By then you might be ready for FI.
Don't wait up 'cause I'll be late, I'll be late
AG454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I drove from SoCal to Utah to have JDP do my car and would do it again in a heartbeat. I talked with Jordan awhile back and he said i didn't need to do anything for Colorado. It's not that far to him and you have no worries.