Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #281
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourney3p0 View Post
For the price of the SS, you may as well just get a 2 year old Vette. The difference in handling alone is like night and day.

For an inexpensive daily driver, the v6 Camaro is more than enough. I really can't think of any scenario where the SS would be my top choice.
yep with you. I drive 3000 miles a month, but if I was to make the investment on a toy without mileage vette would be me and will be at some point.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #282
Fuel74

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
Daily driver, completly stock for now and can't tell you the number of mustangs I pass on the way to work. Just love this car. Can't pick up the kids in a Vet or stop at Lowes for some 2x4s - did that last week

Catch can just arrived, CAI is next
Fuel74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #283
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
The Jay Leno Camaro
Powered by a twin-turbocharged version of the 3.6L direct injected V-6 that is standard in Camaro LS and LT models, Leno’s Camaro blends high performance with surprising efficiency in a racing-ready package. A pair of Turbonetics T-3 turbochargers blows through a custom air-to-air intercooler, force-feeding the engine about 7 pounds of boost and lifting its horsepower level to about 425. That’s about 40 percent greater than stock and in normal driving (when the turbochargers aren’t making boost), there’s virtually no penalty in fuel economy over the non-turbocharged 3.6L engine.
“Jay’s Camaro offers style, performance and efficiency in a big way,” said Dewar. “It delivers the power of a Camaro SS on demand, but with the fuel economy of a V-6.”

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/2009-sema-...#ixzz1hQ0BzwK9

This is what we need SOON I'd so buy one In Synergy Green of course.
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #284
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipinminn View Post
The Jay Leno Camaro
Powered by a twin-turbocharged version of the 3.6L direct injected V-6 that is standard in Camaro LS and LT models, Leno’s Camaro blends high performance with surprising efficiency in a racing-ready package. A pair of Turbonetics T-3 turbochargers blows through a custom air-to-air intercooler, force-feeding the engine about 7 pounds of boost and lifting its horsepower level to about 425. That’s about 40 percent greater than stock and in normal driving (when the turbochargers aren’t making boost), there’s virtually no penalty in fuel economy over the non-turbocharged 3.6L engine.
“Jay’s Camaro offers style, performance and efficiency in a big way,” said Dewar. “It delivers the power of a Camaro SS on demand, but with the fuel economy of a V-6.”

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/2009-sema-...#ixzz1hQ0BzwK9

This is what we need SOON I'd so buy one In Synergy Green of course.

Thats a old article from 09. My understanding is its still not running 100% right.
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #285
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Muscle View Post
I haven't driven the 2010 v6 camaro yet so I can't give you my opinion on whether it has enough power. However, many people try and answer your question by comparing it to cars of old. This brings up a good point that the camaro has a lot of power compared to these cars but is it fair to compare them to cars of old rather than of cars from today? As from what many posts have said you seem to be fairly young as I'm only 22 myself, so i would bet that you have more experience driving newer cars rather than 60's and 70's cars. If i'm wrong than correct me. Most of today's cars are faster than those old car's horsepower's numbers. My old volvo s60 had 250 hp (with a turbo) which is just by looking at hp numbers compares to many of the old camaro's listed in this thread. Now i'll tell ya right now that I thought the volvo had no balls and needed much more hp. I'm not trying to attack old cars cuz shit I love old muscle cars but don't know if you can really compare today's hp numbers to those. The camaro always weighs a lot and have been told that 304 horsepower isn't really that great for the weight. Now like I said i've never driven the car so I can't be the judge, only you can. But to me 304 hp seems like a lot. As stated throughout this thread torque is really the key to how fast a car is gonna feel, especially in your daily driving. It may be cheaper now to get the LT but if your on the fence save up for the 1ss. Thats what im doing. Cuz the last thing you wanta do is spend 25 grand and in a couple of years regret it and wish you had saved up for the ss, just save for what you really want and you can have the car forever, and if the v6 is what you really want than awesome, from what i've read and heard most people love driving it and im sure its a sick car. Just my opinion, hope it helps ya some.

Well not really. The old muscle car times are off the showroom floor times with pure stock setups. With simple tweeking of the carburetors, exhaust and sticky tires it was not at all uncommon to knock off over a second in 1/4 mile times and still having to control excessive wheel spin. The v6 will take them out in the top end though.
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #286
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
I just took my car to the dealership and as the mechanic drove my car to the garage I could hear him reving up the engine hehe...I think he likes it. Yes the v6 has plenty of power and you can make then sound beast, not like a v8 but respectable in its own right.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #287
Awill
Married

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS
i love my v6. i would have loved to get the v8 but wouldn't have been able to get everything i have with my v6 without paying a good amount extra. That's why i chose the v6; it has enough power to hold me over for now. i still want a v8 just don't want to get a used one. God willing i'll have a ZL1 when the time comes. There will be more smiles and dropped jaws looking at the car than dissappointed looks because it's a v6. Seeing all the postive posts from v6 and some v8 owners makes me feel even more proud to have a v6. Like someone else said, it is still a camaro! :-)
Awill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #288
IrocJack

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS RJT
V6
IrocJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #289
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
The v6 has plenty of hp and a great 6.0 0-60 time but what some people are feeling is a lack of torque. For the srx, they moved the tq peak down from 5000 plus rpms to 2400 rpms and tq is 13 less at 265. This gives a smoother uninterrupted flow of power. I have driven the 3.6 in the srx and it feels like a mini v8.
If gm would make the tq curve broader in the Camaro I doubt that people would have a problem with it at all.
Because the camaro weighs 500lbs less than the srx.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #290
cb2011rs

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I went from a 2008 corvette to a2011 V6 and to me there is plenty of power . I could have bought the SS but i figured the V6 was fast enough . I am paying off my harley with the 6K i saved . ....Choices and do what's good for you .
cb2011rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #291
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
The v6 has plenty of hp and a great 6.0 0-60 time but what some people are feeling is a lack of torque. For the srx, they moved the tq peak down from 5000 plus rpms to 2400 rpms and tq is 13 less at 265. This gives a smoother uninterrupted flow of power. I have driven the 3.6 in the srx and it feels like a mini v8.
If gm would make the tq curve broader in the Camaro I doubt that people would have a problem with it at all.
Because the camaro weighs 500lbs less than the srx.
I see what you mean...moving the peak TQ down some would probably make the car feel a bit quicker...but whether or not it would really be any quicker or not I'm not sure. The LFX in the 2012 Camaro actually did move its peak TQ down about 400 rpm if I remember correctly. But the LLT/LFX already have a pretty broad TQ curve...with something like 90% of the TQ available from 2,500 to 5,500 or around that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2011rs View Post
I went from a 2008 corvette to a2011 V6 and to me there is plenty of power . I could have bought the SS but i figured the V6 was fast enough . I am paying off my harley with the 6K i saved . ....Choices and do what's good for you .
Agreed.

You know, I'm sure the cooler weather plays a role, but the Vararam + RX throttle body + tune has made my car feel pretty strong now. Not saying its SS territory now, but just feels damn good.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #292
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Yeah, it wouldn't be faster but at off idle it would.
I used to have a olds intrigue with the 3.5l dohc motor it had 215hp. 3.29 gears.
I got my ass handed to me so many times by 200hp 3800 powered Buick lesabres thru intersections it was ridiculous. Once I hit 50mph I'd fly past them.
Engine got,up on the cams at around 4000 rpms.
I think there are some things gm could do to move the tq peak down or maybe Broaden the curve even more.
Perhaps an active intake manifold or stepping the exhaust pipe coming out of the heads.
You will notice that the German v6s have their tq peaks lower than the lfx
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #293
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Drives: '17 Civic SI + '04 SVT Lightning
Does the v6 have enough power?

Does the v6 have enough power? Here's my take coming off a 2004 SVT Lightning with a supercharged V8 that has 450ft/lbs torque stock and also driving my bosses modded Stang GT with 500+ horsepower that's also supercharged (he's easily beating stock GT500's) and also test driving the V8 Camaro with stick...

If you're buying the car more towards a weekend play toy, something that's going be more driven mainly on the weekends to toy around with the power and left in the garage during the week, the big torquey v8 with a manual stick is definitely the way to go. The big power and torquey V8 with a stick is fun to toy around with! So the answer for this is no, the V6 isn't enough power.

Now if you're buying the car more on the lines of commuting back and forth to work (I drive 45 minutes one way to work) and to use it as a daily driver, then yea, the V6 with an automatic is perfect. When I test drove it initially I was turned off by the lack of torque coming off the Lightning with it's monster 450ft/lbs of torque, but the car was just so comfortable and relaxing to drive, and so much cheaper overall to own, and buying as a daily driver when I already had one V8 hot rod to toy around with, the V6 Camaro just made more sense in every way.

So IMO, it all greatly depends on what you're going for. If you want to drive it as a playtoy- V8 for sure (and a true race car freak wont be happy with any stock V8 anyway, every true gear head I know personally mods their stock V8 muscle cars). But if you're buying to commute back and forth to work everyday as a daily driver but want something more flashy and better looking than a economy car, the V6 Camaro is the perfect choice IMO. Initially I had the hots for a SS, but after test driving all of them and doing the math, for a daily driver, the V6 just made so much more sense in every way. Coming off of driving supercharged V8's, I'm very happy with my V6 Camaro purchase. I love driving it and I'm very comfortable in it and it looks great doing it (RS package)! Even my co-worker said on the test drive that I looked very comfortable in it like I've been driving it for years.... I love it! The V6 works out perfect for how I'm going to be driving the car...

Last edited by Emig5m; 04-22-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Emig5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #294
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Necro-thread...OP was years ago.

BTW...welcome to the forums Emig5m. I see your first post is the one above.