Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #1
green-monster88

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
No Heat!! HELP!!

Hello all,

So lately I've been getting no heat inside my 2010 Camaro LT. I don't use the car in the winter but started noticing the problem around late Septemberish before I put the car away for the winter. I start the car every now and then and each of these times I've noticed that the heat still doesn't kick in. I took it to a nearby shop who diagnosed the problem as a bad thermostat. This confirmed my suspicions, however, his quote to do the work was insane. He quoted me over $600 because apparently the housing also needs to be replaced when replacing the thermostat on the Camaro. Can anyone confirm this??I have a feeling he is trying to rip me off on the labor costs and if this true I'm wondering if it really is the thermostat that needs to be replaced or if these guys are trying to make a killing off of me. Anyone have any feedback or advise?
green-monster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
By your description alone, the diagnosis is the proper first place to look. The thermostat may be stuck wide open and hence, you'll never get heat.

As for the quote for replacement? That is pure rape. You can do this yourself in a parking lot and it will cost 20 bucks. If you're not inclined to do this repair, it should be under $200.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:56 AM   #3
Rick's Camaro

Drives: 1967-2014 Camaro's
This is how you would replace it yourself

Removal Procedure

Note: The engine cooling system thermostat and water pump will not function correctly if oil is present in the cooling system.

The cooling system MUST be flushed, the water pump and thermostat replaced if oil is found in the cooling system.

1. Drain the cooling system.
2. Reposition the outlet hose clamp at the water pump inlet.
3. Remove the outlet hose from the water pump inlet.

4. Remove the water pump inlet bolts.
5. Remove the water pump inlet.
6. The O-ring seal is integral to the thermostat housing.
7. Remove the thermostat housing.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the thermostat housing.
2. Ensure the thermostat housing has an O-ring seal and is in the groove correctly.
3. Install the water pump inlet (with thermostat).
4. Install the water pump inlet bolts. Tighten the water pump inlet bolts to 15 Nm (11 lb ft).
5. Install the outlet hose to the water pump inlet.
6. Position the outlet hose clamp at the water outlet.
7. Fill the cooling system. And Bleed any air pockets out
Rick's Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
green-monster88

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
So I had a friend of a friend change out the thermostat as diagnosed and still no heat. Now Im upset that I paid over $100 for a bad diagnosis plus the cost of labor and parts to change the thermostat today. Does anyone have any other suggestions at all??Last thing I want to do is take it somewhere else for another diagnosis that could prove to be wrong again.
green-monster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:52 PM   #5
Reineke

Drives: 2010 SW Camaro 2SS RS 6M
Have you owned this car since new? Do you have a temp gauge or a way to tell what the actual engine temperature is? My point to all of this is, your engine may be getting to the correct temp, if you purchased this car used, the heater core could have been bad and the previous owner bypassed the heater core. If that's the case, then you will not get heat inside the cabin. You can check by looking for two hoses going into the firewall. They should be close together. One supplies the coolant to the heater core while the other one returns the coolant. If the heater core is bypassed, then you will just have to location where the hoses SHOULD go on the firewall.

If the hoses are properly connected, then it could be as simple as a HVAC door not opening to allow the heated air into the cabin. I know those can be manually actuated via a tech II tool at the dealer, but I am not familiar with the HVAC system of our Camaros to help troubleshoot this possibility.
Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #6
essess

Drives: 10 camaro ss
If its not something obvious like the heater core bypass like reineke said, your better off taking it to a dealer and getting a proper diagnosis. Its more expensive but its better than blowing a few hundred on something that didnt need replacing.
essess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:00 AM   #7
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
The thermostat change was the cheapest and easiest thing to try on your own without incurring a trip to the dealer. You took a risk and it didn't pan out. This happens to all of us at one point or another.

Given that the simple fix didn't work for you, I agree with the essess and his recommendation to get your car into the dealership. If I were to add anything, I would use a Cadillac dealer instead of a Chevy dealer. I've found that Cadillac dealers have much better techs than the Chevy dealers.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote