Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-16-2018, 07:10 PM   #1
nty1234

Drives: 2015 2SS Summit White
Anyone know where this sound may be coming from?

Ive installed JBA high flow cats about 2 months ago, I can't remember if this sound was present on first startup because I couldn't hear anything other than the exhaust lol. Well prior to getting use to it after it warms up I always hear this "pinging" type sound, stock headers and NPP catback, just high flows. This is the best audio clip I have so far I will get a better one in the coming days, Ive gone under the car and honestly can't tell where its coming from, don't see any leaks and replaced the Cat connection gaskets which yielded no results. Per the clip I have attached it is best heard near the end when I give it some throttle. No CEL's and car runs great. One other thing I shall note, whenever I'm at a drive through and I slowly accelerate It always becomes more pronounced and sounds like you repeatedly throw cold water on a hot object. Hard to explain without a clip of that.
nty1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:50 PM   #2
jcaligood

Drives: '18 SS 1LE
from what i can hear, sounds like normal valvetrain noise
Got a better clip of the noise?
jcaligood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:48 PM   #3
nty1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaligood View Post
from what i can hear, sounds like normal valvetrain noise
Got a better clip of the noise?
I will see if I can get one tomorrow, I know that clip sucks lol.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:45 AM   #4
Blueovalman

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro 2010 Camaro SS
Yes sounds like normal drivetrain noise to me. Try to post a better sound clip if you can.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:35 AM   #5
Andoskyy

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS/RS 1LE
Not the best clip, but sound like it may be the exact same thing I experienced. I did JBA cats with NPP and had what I thought was a rattle. It happened the second I lifted off the throttle and was embarrassing to drive.

I found out that it was the resonance in the stock H-pipe causing the sound. I went through a lot of effort and money figuring out the problem. I cut out the factory H pipe and installed an X pipe and it got rid of the problem.

At the end of it all, I went with a Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, which has an X pipe and very happy with it.

I bet a muffler shop would weld in an X-pipe for you for pretty cheap.
Andoskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:28 PM   #6
nty1234

well work got the best of me again but I hope this clip is a little better. This is the "cold water on hot object" flapping type noise that I was referring to. This is the sound that is annoying me and embarrassing. You can hear it whenever I slowly let off the clutch as if I was driving normally. Once my buddy gets home from college in may I should be able to get it on jacks and get a better clip, but for now Im solo.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:43 PM   #7
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
well, i had a flapping noise everytime i took off and i figured out it was the flaps in the npp mufflers. they are opened at idle and when you take off they close and cause a flap noise. i pulled the fuse to keep them open and noise went away. just my experience
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #8
nty1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz430camaro View Post
well, i had a flapping noise everytime i took off and i figured out it was the flaps in the npp mufflers. they are opened at idle and when you take off they close and cause a flap noise. i pulled the fuse to keep them open and noise went away. just my experience
Thank you for you reply. I actually wired a three way switch to my NPP and was open during this test. I would say that is probably not it.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #9
Andoskyy

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nty1234 View Post
well work got the best of me again but I hope this clip is a little better. This is the "cold water on hot object" flapping type noise that I was referring to. This is the sound that is annoying me and embarrassing. You can hear it whenever I slowly let off the clutch as if I was driving normally. Once my buddy gets home from college in may I should be able to get it on jacks and get a better clip, but for now Im solo.
Yep...it's your H pipe. Exact noise I had.

Switch to an X pipe and you'll be good.

Tried to upload a video of mine, but didn't work. PM me and I'll get you a link
Andoskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:25 PM   #10
nty1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andoskyy View Post
Yep...it's your H pipe. Exact noise I had.

Switch to an X pipe and you'll be good.

Tried to upload a video of mine, but didn't work. PM me and I'll get you a link
Wow I didn't think that would be the problem, but then again I checked everywhere and nothing seems to be leaking so I was going crazy. Thanks!