Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-01-2020, 11:56 AM   #1
ccutaia

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS,
USB Long Indexing Time FIXED!!!!!!

I found a way to get my 4300 song, 320 Bit music library to index in the time it takes for 1 song to play!!!! You will need a USB drive to keep the music on formated to FAT32, and to download MP3 Randomizer 1.0 to your computer. Take the MP3 files and make a music file on your computer, add your songs to the file in a song by song format not in album folders. So what you will have is one music folder with only song files not broken down by album or artist. Then you load the MP3 Randomizer 1.0 into the music file and run it in the folder. Depending on the number of songs it will take a while, my 4300 songs took over 4 hours. Once finished all of the songs will be randomized in a numbered format which makes it much easier for the car to index, you then load the music file on to the USB thumb drive and put it in the cars USB, done!!.

Now once you start playing the music it will play in random order, but if you want to search for music it will show up by artist or album so you can play them collectively. The album and artist are buried in the song file so you will be able to search and play by album and artist once you have the finished product. One thing I have not worked out yet is how to establish a playlist but I am working on it and hope to have a process for it in a few days.

Last edited by ccutaia; 08-09-2020 at 04:43 PM.
ccutaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:43 PM   #2
Shtiggs

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS Manual
Great info. Did you ever figure out a playlist creation method?
Shtiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:29 PM   #3
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
I load my mp3’s directly to the usb drive with no folder. Think I have on the other side of 2k of songs and they load quick. Then I just use the car stereo random setting to play them. Only thing I wish I could set to default when you start playing is the random setting which has to be set each time you restart the car.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:12 AM   #4
ccutaia

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS,
Not yet but still working on it, I have north of 4800 songs so playlists are important to me. Once I nail it down I will post the process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shtiggs View Post
Great info. Did you ever figure out a playlist creation method?
Old 10-17-2020, 08:04 AM   #5
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
Personally, I find it a bit jarring when the songs randomly switch from Enya to Children of Bodom. I prefer to keep genres separate.

There's 2 ways to fix this problem. One is to make playlists with the songs or albums or artists that you want, and the HU will play everything in that playlist in the order that you set it up. See the last post here: https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...light=playlist

Two is to put a code in front of every song in the tags that will force them to play in the order you want; even if it is going alphabetically. I used AA01 to ZZ99 on all 900 of my songs, with a letter change for each album. It was a pain to re-tag, but it works.

Here is a guide made by me using a Mac:

_ Open iTunes
- Export Playlist As ... choose M3U
- Open the file with textedit and remove the address of mp3 all that is before the folder / volumes / nome_usb /

EXAMPLE: to:
/ Users / Tim / Music / iTunes / iTunes Media / Music / Nightwish / Century Child/01 Bless The Child.mp3
to:
Nightwish / Century Child/01 Bless The Child.mp3
(you can change them all via the "Find and Replace" in TextEdit,
looking for: / Users / Tim / Music / iTunes / iTunes Media / Music /
and replacing with "nothing")

#EXTINF:304,TI03 Wine Of Aluqah - Therion > to
Therion\4 Vovin\TI03 Wine Of Aluqah.mp3 (artist \ 4th album (in my order) \ (indexing code) song name

- Replace / with \
(you can change them all via the "Find and Replace" in TextEdit,
looking for:
and replacing with \)

- Save
_ Put the. M3u file in the USB

Last edited by yzark99; 11-06-2020 at 08:24 AM. Reason: more info
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:24 PM   #6
Classic-Chevy-Guy

Drives: 2024 Camaro LT and 2023 Corvette Z
I have my songs in separate folders for my 2015 Camaro.

Although the system goes thru the indexing process, it does not sort the folders in alphabetical order.

Any thoughts on sorting folders?

Thanks
Classic-Chevy-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 12:06 PM   #7
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I don't believe it reads nor sorts by folder name. Mine are simply numbered.

At one point, the files had to be in folders and there was a 100 song limit per folder (at least on the 13's).
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 01:05 PM   #8
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
SSD is also much faster, which is what I changed to: 120GB SSD, and my VW
radio never took long to index. USB sticks, took a while depending on it's speed.

When using FAT32, you also want to format at, at least 16K cluster size. When you
use the default 4K, reading the device takes longer. 16K cluster size will speed
reads on USB sticks. That is what the device reads at once, 16K at a time -vs-
4K at a time. You can look all that up...

That 120GB SSD is almost full, and no indexing issues on any radio. I did nothing
but put the folders per artist, then sub folders per album, no issues.
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote