Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-25-2021, 05:25 PM   #1
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Question about rear deck speakers

So I am considering getting a 4 channel amp with around 100w x 4 rms and a set of new 6x9's for the rear deck. I already have a decent set of Infinity Primus 6.5" components and tweeters up front, although I know these could be improved upon. But I want to hear them with an amp before I decide to replace those. Haven't decided on an amp yet, but likely going to try to balance cost/quality.

Question is...are most people running 6x9 components with separate tweeters or are coaxials fine for the rear? I was looking into the Infinity Kappa-93iX 3-ways, but not totally set on those if components are the better way to go.

What brought these questions about to me was when I was thinking about wiring and powering the rear tweeters if I went with components, since I figured running them off the same 4-channel wouldn't be ideal, or would it? I'm not looking to go crazy here, I just want a nice clean setup. Massive bass is obviously not a priority here.

I have been out of the audio game for a few decades now, so please pardon what may be some stupid questions.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:05 AM   #2
ColtonsDad

Drives: 2011 LS Camaro
There is a thread on here, its a bit older, and one of the members goes into scientific detail, about the speaker shape, freqs, etc. The thread mostly points to the sound is better from a 6.5 round.

Like you I have been out of the game for a few decades myself. I had bought my son his first car, a 2011 LS. It came with a stock radio and 2 blown 6x9 speakers in the rear. It sounded like an Kraco AM, and tasted like a flat PBR.

I replaced the two door speakers with the lowest end FOSGATES, and the rear with MTX 6x9s. We went two way all the around, built in crossovers. The radio was replaced with the PowerAcoustik cp-650 - 300W
The best system out there. NO. But for a 16 year old kid, 6 speed manual, inferno orange, it does just fine. The sound is amazing. I know your looking for high end, the thread, I will post it if i can find it, retaught me a lot.
ColtonsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:05 PM   #3
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Thanks man, I think it was a thread by Snoman. He is super knowledgeable about this stuff for sure, but most of it is above my head. I really just want good sound for a decent price, not an amazing audiophile quality setup. All I really need to know now is if most people are installing rear coaxials or components when they decide to stay with 6x9s in the rear.

I think I am going to get a set of coaxial Infinity Kappas or JBL GTO939s, mainly because the components cost so much more. I can pick up a pair of Kappas on Amazon for $153 or $119 for the JBLs. If I decide to go with components I will have to drop down a level, such as the Infinity Reference Series. I was going to power it with the Hifonics BG-1000.4 Brutus Gamma 1,000-Watt 4 channel amp. It's likely overkill, but it should last me though my next upgrade.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 03-28-2021 at 10:04 PM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:46 AM   #4
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Depending on who you listen to, you don't need to even touch the rears. Get the front sound stage set the way you like and leave the stock rears as they are just fill. If you want more base, add a sub, don't rely on the main speakers, especially 6x9s.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote