Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-31-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
bahamaman

Drives: '13 ZL1 Vert
Moving from a Roush to a ZL1

My wife drives a 2007 Roush 427R. I would like to surprise her at Christmas with a Camaro ZL1 convertible. What she loves is gobs of torque and quickness 0-60 (she's German, loves American muscle cars, and refuses to drive any car with an automatic transmission). She still likes her Roush, and doesn't think it's necessary get a new car (which is why this has to be a surprise).

I have read every review out there, but would like to tap into the collective expertise that exists here.

1. She loves the sound of the Roush. Will she get that same (or similar) sound from the ZL1?

2. She really likes how the Roush can slam her back in the seat . . . I'm assuming that she'll have that same experience with the ZL1? Is it likely that she'll notice that the ZL1 is faster (as best as I can determine, the ZL1 is .3 or .4 seconds faster to 60)?

3. I know (from what I've read) that the ZL1 is much more civilized, that it offers better handling, is smoother, etc. Coming from a Roush, I'm worried that it is, maybe, a bit too refined?

Thanks for any and all advice and counsel.
bahamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Why not test drive one and judge it for yourself. That way you can compare the two cars yourself rather than relying on opinions here.?

My ZL1 is a wonderful powerful car to me, but I've never driven a Roush 427R so I can't tell you much.

I think you'll find that the Roush will probably slam you a bit more, the ZL1 is just a wonderful refined smooth car with PLENTY of power. I think you'll like the way the ZL1 rides and handles better than the Roush, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited by HDRDTD; 11-01-2012 at 06:24 AM.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
Bola1103

Drives: 2001 camaro ss
If she likes power then you should know what car to get the gt 500
Bola1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
1. The ZL1 definitely plants you in your seat with 580 HP 2. The stock dual-mode exhaust sounds mean! It's the best sounding stock exhaust GM has ever put out IMO. GM is notorious for putting out meak and meager stock systems, but this sounds similar to my Vert's Flowmasters...WOW!

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
SPOOKYGUNNER
ROCK

Drives: 2013 ZL-1 TRIPLE BLACK VERT
Be advised that the CONVERIBLE has the "competitive driving mode" not the 5 mode PTM as the coupe has. I love my VERT but did not find this out until after I bought it. More disappointed but still happy with the VERT as we still have 70 degree days here in Colorado.
SPOOKYGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
dimitri

Drives: 06 M5/04 350Z
Test drive.
dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
bahamaman

Drives: '13 ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOOKYGUNNER View Post
Be advised that the CONVERIBLE has the "competitive driving mode" not the 5 mode PTM as the coupe has. I love my VERT but did not find this out until after I bought it.
Yes, I had read that. She really wants the vert, and I believe that that trumps any concern it not having the same PTM.

Thanks to all who have weighed in . . . I am trying to arrange a test drive.
bahamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
Gibroni

Drives: '12 IOM LT 'vert
From it's inception the Mustang was designed as a girl's car. Someone at Ford had it designed for his secretary. So I believe it's lines and proportions may trigger an innate bond to the car your wife may have. We know this is true because men who drive Mustangs lack testosterone. That said I hope she likes the Camaro. Good luck.
Gibroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
islander033
SLOBRA1

Drives: GT500/Cruze/DMax/Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibroni View Post
...We know this is true because men who drive Mustangs lack testosterone...
Says the "guy" driving a Honda Element ...LOL.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by islander033 View Post
Ouch..

If I knew how a Rouch sounded off the top of my head I could help. I do however, like the ZL1 exhaust. It has a great tone and is just right IMO. Since you are in Texas come on down and test drive mine.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #11
dianeokie
Going places

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamaman View Post
My wife drives a 2007 Roush 427R. I would like to surprise her at Christmas with a Camaro ZL1 convertible. What she loves is gobs of torque and quickness 0-60 (she's German, loves American muscle cars, and refuses to drive any car with an automatic transmission). She still likes her Roush, and doesn't think it's necessary get a new car (which is why this has to be a surprise).

I have read every review out there, but would like to tap into the collective expertise that exists here.

1. She loves the sound of the Roush. Will she get that same (or similar) sound from the ZL1?

2. She really likes how the Roush can slam her back in the seat . . . I'm assuming that she'll have that same experience with the ZL1? Is it likely that she'll notice that the ZL1 is faster (as best as I can determine, the ZL1 is .3 or .4 seconds faster to 60)?

3. I know (from what I've read) that the ZL1 is much more civilized, that it offers better handling, is smoother, etc. Coming from a Roush, I'm worried that it is, maybe, a bit too refined?

Thanks for any and all advice and counsel.
I previously had a supercharged Roush convertible, so I know that experience. The whine is awesome, the suspension is awesome, it's a little more "rough around the edges" and definitely not a girl's car. That's why I prefered the Camaro because the ride was a little smoother. I have not driven a ZL1, but I assume it's just smoother, but likely powerful. I don't think you'll know unless you do a test drive, and I don't think you should surprise her with this. I think she should either want it or not. Driving performance cars is a very personal experience. I miss the Roush, it was just getting to be a high maintenance vehicle that I couldn't keep up with. The new Roush vehicles don't manufacture their own body parts, so why not get her a new Roush, if you want to get her something new. I love my Camaro, but I would love a Roush too........

"just stay with traffic, you'll be fine". = famous last words
dianeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #12
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Old 11-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #14
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Why not test drive one and judge it for yourself?
Most dealers in my area don't let anyone test drive a ZL1. Most guys looking for a ZL1 already know exactly what it is and know why they want it. Some potential customers would pass on a ZL1 from a dealer's stock specifically because it had a few extra miles on it from test drives. Dealers around here will let you test drive an SS if you need to see if it will fit you properly and you will be comfortable with the seating position and control placement. Someone wanting to test drive a ZL1 instead of an SS just to experience the power of the ZL1 is not good for the car, since the test driver will be ignoring the break-in instructions during his test drive. Again, a reason for people serious about buying a ZL1 to turn the test-driven car down and buy elsewhere.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote