Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-29-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
CamaroSSYellow

Drives: 2012Yellow2SS
Borla or Corsa for L99 - My 1st Camaro

Need some opinions and suggestions. My husband and I bought a 2012 SS Automatic (car is all stock) and want to give the car some sound, we've watched several of the you tube videos and did read several threads new and old about Borla and Corsa, but still don't know which one to go with. We like the catback Borla Atak and the catback Corsa Sport, our question is will we have to get anything else done to the car, or can the catback just be installed and there is no need to get anything else done to it ?
All we want is to give it a louder sound without having to buy headers or long tubes (whatever those are) etc... (we are amatures when it comes to auto mechanics and mods). I read on some of the threads about "drone", what is drone ? What does it mean to "tune AFM off" ? We are hoping we can just get a catback installed and nothing else needs added or tuned, but if there other things that will need to be done to the car we would like to know and be prepared before we order the exhaust system, we definety want to get one or the other ordered soon, can't wait to get Bee out of hibernation
CamaroSSYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
Blueforce

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS 6M
It's 99% personal preference however I chose to go with borla atak myself. If you choose the borla atak you'll be able to install those on the car without any other mods for a more aggressive sound. They should also have the 2.5" factory connect by default so they'll bolt right on up to the current cat section. May need to do some cutting of the current exhaust near that section. Not 100% sure.

Drone is when you hear a constant hum at a certain rpm range. Mostly when thruway driving because you're around 2000 rpm consistently.

To tune the AFM off would require paying someone to give your car a tune or purchase a tuner for yourself with that ability. The AFM is the air flow meter. To tune it out would mean that your car thinks its getting the maximum amount of air all the time thus running more aggressively and with extra power.
Blueforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
lbheat
Echale Gas [COTW 3/10/14]

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Supercharged
I have the corsa exhaust on my L99 and I love it. At cruising speeds its real quiet and when you gas it this thing comes to life. If you are mainly doing it for sounds I highly suggest Noweeds after choosing an exhaust, Here you can control how much "rumble" you want to hear (Old school hot rod sound). Noweeds would be good for going to a car show, scare the crap out of mustang owners or want to rattle the dentures of people. This Noweeds system could control how loud you want it (button you click next to driver seat, thats what convinced me to buy it the other day. I will have it installed by next weekend.

For cruising speeds, or when going out to dinner I'll have my corsa catback system. The reason I chose corsa is because to me it makes my camaro feel a bit more "elegant" lol when going normal speeds but when I want to mash the pedal it sounds like a muscle car. Thats just my 2 cents, I've never heard the borla in person so I can't say corsa is better than borla. Best of luck with your decision and good choice for car!

Kenne Bell
502 rwhp/ 471 rwtq at 9psi (daily driver...for now)
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
lbheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
Bill@RaceProvenMotorsports

Drives: 09 G8 GT
Give me a call at the shop and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. We can also get you a great price on whichever exhaust you decide to go with.
Bill@RaceProvenMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:50 PM   #5
serows1

Drives: Blue Ray 2SS
I choose the Solo Performance axle back system with J-pipes that automatically tune out droning. Like Blueforce said, its a personal prefference, ask around your area to see what ohers have installed and see what they sound like, unfortunately you'll have to wait until the weather turns.

AFM actually stands for Active Fuel Management, the engine control module shuts off 4 of the 8 cylinders to converse fuel while cruising at a constant speed. When this happens it causes a droning noise that is usually not noticed until the factory exhaust is removed.

Range Technology makes a plug and play device that prevents AFM from activating, I just bought one but because IT'S STILL SNOWING, I haven't tried it out.

Good Luck!!

Paul
serows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
CamaroSSYellow

Thank you all for the suggestions, really appreciate it ! Have some more questions, when going down the hiway 55 or 60 miles an hour, how loud is the Borla Atak and Corsa Sport going to sound in the cabin ? Are you able to hear your radio, are you able to talk on the phone, or is it too loud to hear radio and talk on phone ? We can live without the radio & phone if need be when driving this speed, especially since we want the loud sound, but it would be nice to not hear all the loundness in the cabin, I'm sure we'll hear some sound, but I hope it's not too loud in the cabin. Will either of these wake up the neighbors, not that we're worried about waking them up but just wondered Sorry so many questions, but I know the Camaro5 members would know and have these answers
Old 03-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
lbheat
Echale Gas [COTW 3/10/14]

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Supercharged
With corsa: I have zero drone, and am able to hold a conversation with the radio off. You seriously cant hear the exhaust with windows up unless you really step on it. Having the windows down you can slightly hear but very little and once again you'll hear it once you mash the pedal down. The only time theres a loud rumble is only when you do a cold start but that tapers off to a low tone rumble within 30 seconds to 1 minute. But I guess this could be said about any exhaust.

You will definitely not piss off neighbors in morning/day. But that is the reason i am adding some more to beef up the loud factor to make it sound like a modern hot rod.

Kenne Bell
502 rwhp/ 471 rwtq at 9psi (daily driver...for now)
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
lbheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #8
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
I have a range device and I have the Stainless works retro chambered catback everything else is stock and it sounds pretty amazing and no drone. hit maryland speed up, that is where I got mine!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint

Last edited by jshaf; 03-29-2014 at 08:00 PM.
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:39 PM   #9
aquablueL99
Jackson's COTW

Drives: 1968 Camaro & 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbheat View Post
With corsa: I have zero drone, and am able to hold a conversation with the radio off. You seriously cant hear the exhaust with windows up unless you really step on it. Having the windows down you can slightly hear but very little and once again you'll hear it once you mash the pedal down. The only time theres a loud rumble is only when you do a cold start but that tapers off to a low tone rumble within 30 seconds to 1 minute. But I guess this could be said about any exhaust.

You will definitely not piss off neighbors in morning/day. But that is the reason i am adding some more to beef up the loud factor to make it sound like a modern hot rod.
Corsa Sport....great sound, no drone, and all of what he said...^^^^^^

Kurt ABL99...
Old 03-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #10
alanhurst
Master Chief

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueforce View Post
To tune the AFM off would require paying someone to give your car a tune or purchase a tuner for yourself with that ability. The AFM is the air flow meter. To tune it out would mean that your car thinks its getting the maximum amount of air all the time thus running more aggressively and with extra power.
You should probably stop posting...
Old 03-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #11
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSYellow View Post
I read on some of the threads about "drone", what is drone ?
An easier way to answer this question is to show you what it sounds like. Watch the first 5 seconds of the vid and turn your speakers up.

Now without a tune to shut off AFM, the L99 sounds like that but worse. All exhaust have drone. It's just a question of how loud and where in the RPM range it is. Even Corsa who claims to be drone free has drone, it's just not as bad.

As for Borla ATAK or Corsa, there isn't a single video out there that can accurately capture the unique sound these two exhaust make when going WOT. Microphones automatically cut off certain frequencies and then add to that the compression of posting a video on the internet, a lot of the sound is cut off and altered. Ever heard a motor boat prop half way out of water? If not, take a giant bowl and fill it full of water, put your face halfway in it to where your lips are at about water level and then make a motor boat sound. It's not exact but you'll get the idea. That's what these two exhaust sound like. Both exhaust sound identical in real life so just pick your favorite brand, or which ever you find the best deal on and call it a day.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #12
Blueforce

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by serows1 View Post
I choose the Solo Performance axle back system with J-pipes that automatically tune out droning. Like Blueforce said, its a personal prefference, ask around your area to see what ohers have installed and see what they sound like, unfortunately you'll have to wait until the weather turns.

AFM actually stands for Active Fuel Management, the engine control module shuts off 4 of the 8 cylinders to converse fuel while cruising at a constant speed. When this happens it causes a droning noise that is usually not noticed until the factory exhaust is removed.

Range Technology makes a plug and play device that prevents AFM from activating, I just bought one but because IT'S STILL SNOWING, I haven't tried it out.

Good Luck!!

Paul
My apologies. Yes it is active fuel management in this scenario. There are two things AFM means.
Blueforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:17 AM   #13
CamaroSSYellow

Thanks again, much appreciated ! We do have a boat, and when I don't have the trim down far enough and it's sticking out of the water some, I know the sound you are talking about. This group is really great !
Old 03-30-2014, 06:29 AM   #14
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Corsa FTMFW!