Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-29-2014, 07:49 AM   #57
khell86

Drives: 2012 Ford Focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Really? Please stop making excuses well if this happened, or that happened, if he/she had been driving. Bottom line is the Z/28 is wicked fast on the track and it surprised the self proclaimed kings at this particular track anyways. Get over it and enjoy watching the progression of the Camaro.
I think the camaro did a great job, but the way MT went about this test was a little whack. The fact that the camaro was allowed to drop psi in its tires and then make more laps in order to lower its time, while its not mentioned if that was done for the other 2 cars, is just bad testing.

In the end though none of this matters once the new Z06 comes out lol.
khell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:25 AM   #58
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by khell86 View Post
I think the camaro did a great job, but the way MT went about this test was a little whack. The fact that the camaro was allowed to drop psi in its tires and then make more laps in order to lower its time, while its not mentioned if that was done for the other 2 cars, is just bad testing.
It wasn't a "setting the car's up for the track test", it was a test. How do you know lowering pressure in the tires of the other two cars would not have made them slower? Some cars and tires respond better to higher pressures.

It wasn't the job of the testers, nor the intent of the story to tune the cars to the track.
The Camaro had representatives there who offered a suggestion on the pressures.

It is what it is.

Quote:
The Z06 that will use the Z/28's new brakes? Coming out in a year? Oh yeah, that one, right

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:35 AM   #59
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
z28 is definately a fast track car. It runs on super sticky 305 series race tires front and rear.
Take nothing away from the Z28, but it definately comes from the factory with a tire advantage over the other cars.

As mentioned by many others, the new Z06 will almost for sure run faster track times than the Z28.

And the comment about the stock SS being terrible kind of brings the article down a bit in excitement for many Camaro owners.
Very few people in this forum or anywhere will own a Z28, where as most of us own a basic SS.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #60
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
z28 is definately a fast track car. It runs on super sticky 305 series race tires front and rear.
Take nothing away from the Z28, but it definately comes from the factory with a tire advantage over the other cars.
I'm still trying to understand this line of thinking. They were comparing stock vs. stock. Not "after I pay WAY more for this other car I'll go buy better tires for it too".

While you're doing that I'll just go ahead and put a supercharger in the z/28 and we'll see how it does.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #61
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
I'm still trying to understand this line of thinking. They were comparing stock vs. stock. Not "after I pay WAY more for this other car I'll go buy better tires for it too".

While you're doing that I'll just go ahead and put a supercharger in the z/28 and we'll see how it does.
And then tune the other car's suspension to those new tires as well...

Thank you for pointing out THE OBVIOUS to those who keep repeating the same tired f'ing thing over and over and over.

It was what it was...let it go for f*ck's sake! Chevy built and tuned the Z/28 around a specific tire for a specific purpose, what does it take for some posters to get their head around that? Is it that hard to comprehend? Apparently so

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #62
khell86

Drives: 2012 Ford Focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
It wasn't a "setting the car's up for the track test", it was a test. How do you know lowering pressure in the tires of the other two cars would not have made them slower? Some cars and tires respond better to higher pressures.

It wasn't the job of the testers, nor the intent of the story to tune the cars to the track.
The Camaro had representatives there who offered a suggestion on the pressures.

It is what it is.

The Z06 that will use the Z/28's new brakes? Coming out in a year? Oh yeah, that one, right
C'mon man everyone knows that once the tires heat up its better to lower the pressure.
khell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #63
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Chevy built and tuned the Z/28 around a specific tire for a specific purpose,
This, I completely agree with. They did and did it well. The Z/28 is an awesome track (road course) car.

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:50 AM   #64
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post

As mentioned by many others, the new Z06 will almost for sure run faster track times than the Z28.
There is no "almost" to it. It will definitely run faster times around the track. The 2015 Z06 will truly be approaching supercar status if not take the claim openly.

The Z/28 is in a different class, so to compare the Z/28 to the Z06 is comparing apples to oranges IMO.

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #65
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
it's simply a GREAT TIME to be a Camaro Enthusiast.

One year ago we unveiled the car at NY - and we had so very many nay-sayers......

.........and then we announced the price and people had fits.......and we told you that you'd be blown away by the performance.

Well -- that day is here..........and the results are in magazines on the news stands.

For those of you who "kept the faith" -- many many many thanks from "Team Camaro" --
Old 03-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #66
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:

Remind me again, where does the 3rd and 4th passenger sit in the Z06?

Exactly. But the Camaro engineers said, "Bring any car you want to the test." They had no fear.

It is a complement that a legitimate four-passenger seating vehicle is in the same track performance conversation with the Z06. But it's a pretty dim bulb that celebrates any two-seater's relatively marginal edge over a four-seater. This is especially true when the price differential of some cars and the Z/28 (or Shelby) is added into the conversation.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #67
47AJV8

Drives: A White Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Really? Please stop making excuses well if this happened, or that happened, if he/she had been driving. Bottom line is the Z/28 is wicked fast on the track and it surprised the self proclaimed kings at this particular track anyways. Get over it and enjoy watching the progression of the Camaro.
Haha I guess some people can't take criticism. I'm not making excuses, I'm pointing out the obvious... I mean the cars (specifically the Porsche and Z/28) don't even come close to competing in the same segment so the test is pretty irrelevant, but it is funny to see how defensive people get when you point out an obvious flaw in the test.. As I said in my first statement, I love the Z/28 so I'm not knocking it at all, just pointing out some things from the other side of the table.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:45 PM   #68
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
I love the video.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...sQn9fzxstRZzqj
Old 03-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #69
bionick

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
This...the Z06 will be the GM gold std track car(as it should be).
From what I have read the new ZR1 will even be better than the new Z06, since the ZR1 is the top corvette
Old 03-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #70
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionick View Post
From what I have read the new ZR1 will even be better than the new Z06, since the ZR1 is the top corvette
There is no new ZR1.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote