Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-01-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
camarokidz28

Drives: 1996 z28
door handles

now I am a big fan of slek door handels that lay flat like on the the Aston martin DB9 and on the camaro concept and so I was sort of disopinted when the "mules" came with the same door handels as a mustang but that is my onley complant on the car so tell my your thoughts if you thank that they should redo the door haldels or ofer them as a opisnal extra or should just keep them on the concept tell me what you think thanks
camarokidz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:28 PM   #2
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
I like the concept door handles much better, but i think they said these were more "user friendly".
Old 06-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
Z-Lover

Drives: G6 V6
No Handles?

I often wondered why cars even have door handles anymore... *everything* is on the key/remote/fob so why even have handles? Why not just have a button for "door open"?

Isn't the XLR Caddy handle-less? You just put the keys near the door and it pops open?

On the other hand, being from Canada, if the door sticks/freezes, a nice handle is useful for prying open the door...

I do agree that the body flush/flip handles are nicer than the grip and pull handles.
Z-Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Yeah that would be cool. But i think there would be a lot of problems with door poppers.. i mean it would suck if they got stuck and you couldnt get in your car.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:51 PM   #5
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Drives: '87 5.7L Iroc-Z
they should totally put PT Cruiser handles on the 5th gen
I'm kidding of course, those are hideous..as well as jeep handles.
While I enjoy the easy accessibility of the prototypes' handles, they tend to get scratched behind the handle. As do the others from the concept - but it's not as noticeable.
I work security at a local Honda dealership. the Accord's & Civic's there have handles like the prototype, I notice after working there several times & spotting the same cars over & over that the paint behind the handles gets severely scratched from fingernails carelessly rubbing against the door as they open it.
some of the cars colored black, have some horrible scratches on the paint. And they aren't even off the lot yet :(
I feel sorry for them.
The cars with door handles similar to the concept however, have scratches as well, but its not Nearly as noticeable because people don't frequently look "under" the door handle. Also you have to actually put your fingers inside the crevice, so its not scratching a "Seen" part of the paint.

"Camaro Z/28 is back. Gentlemen, Don't even bother to start your engines."
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:00 AM   #6
Kevin L

Drives: Last Camaro was a '00 SS
GM could put the 3M clear mylar under the handles to alleviate the scratching problem.

BTW, I like the concept handles much better too and I would vote for those.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:00 AM   #7
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

what? you're not going to put on gloves before touching your camaro? shame on you.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:23 AM   #8
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Armored Car -Don't let rock chips ruin your new paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin L View Post
GM could put the 3M clear mylar under the handles to alleviate the scratching problem.

Yeah I saw an article in "Camaro Performers" (magazine) on some of this "3M" type tape stuff that goes on cars. (but its high-tech)
It was quite interesting, the article is titled "Armored Car -Don't let rock chips ruin your new paint." by Steven Rupp, in the "Camaro Performers" magazine - May 2008.
I went ahead and typed it out. there we're pictures included in the article, as well as tid bits of information about application. Hope it's not against any rules to re-type the article =/

"If your Camaro is nice, then chances are you dropped the most cash on your paintjob. It also takes the most abuse if you actually drive or race your car. After all, even the nicest roads are strewn with rocks and junk that are just waiting to add one more chip to your paint.

The problem is almost every way to combat this fact of life looks like crap on your car . If you want to stop rocks from chewing up your buddies. If you're a track rat, you could coat your car's vulnerable areas with the infamous blue tape. But aside from the goofy look, it's not going to help you on the highway. Even something like a vinyl front-end mask has its own issues, and if poorly installed or made, it can cause more damage than it prevents. The Holy Grail is a system that protects the paint without killing the car's looks. Enter clear film.

Clear film was first developed for the military to protect composite rotor blades from chips and damage cause by small rocks and sand devris. At some point, a clever person figured it would work to protect cars from damage as well. When the technology first moved over to the automotive side, it was virtually identical to what was used in aviation. The problem was that the material, at that point, was about protection more than looks, and it suffered from a few appearance problems. Namely, it had a rough surface (i.e. orange peel) and a tendency to yellow over time.

Today there are films specifically designed for automotive use. This means the goal has been redirected to protect the paint while looking great at the same time. Depending on the brand, the film surface is as smooth as a buffed-out paintjob. And with advances in technology, it will stay transparent without yellowing over time. Sean Heiland of Ultimate Shield makes his living installing clear paint protection film. Many of his customers bring in high-end exotics for protection, and he's noticed an increase in classic cars seeking the same treatment. According to Sean, it only makes sense that someone who has spent 10 to 20 grand on a paintjob would want to keep it nice for as long as possible.

The paint on our '68 Camaro is pretty nice, and since it cost us plenty, we want it to stay good looking for as long as possible. We also intend to beat on the car and know what rock chips and road rash are inevitable. Still, we're going to do what we can to lessen the damage by taking the camaro over to Ultimate Shield for some high-tech protection."

Old 06-02-2008, 01:02 AM   #9
JaysonAych

Drives: 2002 Dodge Stratus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Lover View Post
I often wondered why cars even have door handles anymore... *everything* is on the key/remote/fob so why even have handles? Why not just have a button for "door open"?

Isn't the XLR Caddy handle-less? You just put the keys near the door and it pops open?

On the other hand, being from Canada, if the door sticks/freezes, a nice handle is useful for prying open the door...

I do agree that the body flush/flip handles are nicer than the grip and pull handles.
If the battery in my key fob dies, I'd like an alternate way to open the door. Door handles aren't so terrible that they should be eliminated entirely. Plus on my car, when the temperature gets below freezing, my remote keyless entry sometimes doesn't work at all. And I'd not like to be stuck outside of my car in those conditions.
JaysonAych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:19 AM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Lover View Post

cause it would suck if the battery in your remote died....and you couldn't get in your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin L View Post
and welcome to the site!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 View Post
what? you're not going to put on gloves before touching your camaro? shame on you.
I like the way you think!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:54 AM   #11
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Personally, I have no problem with the door handles. But the one thing I beg Chevy to do is PLEASE do not use the textured plastics on the door handles like dodge does , it's a major "B" to wax around and if you do get wax on it you can't get it off. So pleeeease use smooth plastics.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #12
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 View Post
of couse I am.. but there's no telling when your passenger is going to have those ghastly long nails
...wheres the *Nails on a chalk board* sound effect?...

Old 06-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #13
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Well i will plan on having extra gloves for my passenger. or just open the door for them, so they dont have to touch the car at all.... wait... is that being too obsessive? i dont know....
Old 06-02-2008, 11:48 PM   #14
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
:bangdesk:
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote