Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #1
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Storage area behind MyLink screen - does it exist on 2018?

I was just in a showroom sitting in a 2018 2SS 1LE with the optional navigation built into the MyLink screen. I thought the screen could open somehow to reveal a storage area behind it, but the salesman couldn't figure out how to do it. He said he had seen it on previous Camaros and Corvettes, but wondered if that feature was dropped in 2018. We didn't have the key fob in the car at the time, so is that the reason we didn't see how to do it, or is that feature no longer available on 2018 cars?
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #2
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Never had one on the Camaros.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Camaros dont have that feature, only the vettes do. Gonna have to hide the weed somewhere else lol.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:08 PM   #4
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
For Chevy vehicles, its Corvette, Impala, Traverse and Tahoe/Suburban that have the storage behind the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
Camaros dont have that feature, only the vettes do. Gonna have to hide the weed somewhere else lol.
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #6
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
Quote:
And a whole lot of other cheap chevys.
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:25 PM   #7
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
Quote:
And a whole lot of other cheap chevys. But I’m guessing it’s just another problem and expensive to fix. My XT5 replacement for SRX doesn’t have it either.
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #8
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
I was just in a showroom sitting in a 2018 2SS 1LE with the optional navigation built into the MyLink screen. I thought the screen could open somehow to reveal a storage area behind it, but the salesman couldn't figure out how to do it. He said he had seen it on previous Camaros and Corvettes, but wondered if that feature was dropped in 2018. We didn't have the key fob in the car at the time, so is that the reason we didn't see how to do it, or is that feature no longer available on 2018 cars?
I really don't understand how a salesman can know so little and be so confident of what they're selling like this. Granted, it could have been an honest mistake.

Story time.

When I was looking to buy my 2016 I walked into a large dealership nearby, the salesperson was around my age, we were talking and I had her look up to see when they could start ordering the 2016 Camaro. We're BS'ing and she's talking about how Chevy is going to be coming out with the Trans Am in a year. She was so certain that the Trans Am was making a comeback, I just went along with it.

You sell several different model of vehicles, and that's it. All day you're at the dealership, how do you not know your product?! Go sit in the different vehicles and learn how they work.

I worked at Walmart for a little over a year in electronics, I knew almost all the products we carried. (digital cameras, camcorders, TVs, game consoles, video game releases, laptops, desktops, etc.) I took weekly tests to learn about new products we start carrying. It's very easy to learn products to know how to sell them. It seems like a knowledgeable salesperson in a dealership is rare.

Sorry for off-topic rant. Just blows my mind.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:30 PM   #9
warriordave927
Deadpool

Drives: 2016 camaro lt rs m6 redhot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
I really don't understand how a salesman can know so little and be so confident of what they're selling like this. Granted, it could have been an honest mistake.

Story time.

When I was looking to buy my 2016 I walked into a large dealership nearby, the salesperson was around my age, we were talking and I had her look up to see when they could start ordering the 2016 Camaro. We're BS'ing and she's talking about how Chevy is going to be coming out with the Trans Am in a year. She was so certain that the Trans Am was making a comeback, I just went along with it.

You sell several different model of vehicles, and that's it. All day you're at the dealership, how do you not know your product?! Go sit in the different vehicles and learn how they work.

I worked at Walmart for a little over a year in electronics, I knew almost all the products we carried. (digital cameras, camcorders, TVs, game consoles, video game releases, laptops, desktops, etc.) I took weekly tests to learn about new products we start carrying. It's very easy to learn products to know how to sell them. It seems like a knowledgeable salesperson in a dealership is rare.

When i was younger i used to work at a dealership as a make ready guy or porter,basically the guy that washed your car before its delivered,i was always interested in cars ao when we would get new model year cars i would check them out and see what nee features they came with,when the salesmen found out i had knowledge of the cars they would come ask me about features on the cars,these were "professional" adults who were twice some times more than that my age asking the car wash guy for info on the 20,30,40 thousand dollar cars theyre about to sell,so dont be surprised that a lot of salesmen dont know about the cars theyre selling
warriordave927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:36 PM   #10
Jackass
Doing what I like to do

Drives: 1963 Landrover
Quote:
Why would you have to hide it , after all its legal now , and besides one can have have it in cookies , candy bars etc , there is no way any cop would suspect of it by just looking around
Jackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:38 PM   #11
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriordave927 View Post
When i was younger i used to work at a dealership as a make ready guy or porter,basically the guy that washed your car before its delivered,i was always interested in cars ao when we would get new model year cars i would check them out and see what nee features they came with,when the salesmen found out i had knowledge of the cars they would come ask me about features on the cars,these were "professional" adults who were twice some times more than that my age asking the car wash guy for info on the 20,30,40 thousand dollar cars theyre about to sell,so dont be surprised that a lot of salesmen dont know about the cars theyre selling
Yeah I could see that happening, it makes no sense. Thanks for sharing
Old 03-10-2018, 06:44 PM   #12
Jackass
Doing what I like to do

Drives: 1963 Landrover
Quote:

Story time.

You did what you had to do in order to get better at what you were doing , and that’s great
The dealer that you mention above is just like some , or most of the people that work on those big boxes hardware stores , they tend to move merchandise around every so often , and when I go in and go to the place where it was a couple weeks before and it’s no longer there , I just ask someone that suppose to work there , and it goes like this ,,,, can you tell me where those pieces are at ? Most of the time the clerk just turn around and say , I don’t know , I just work here !!! Some time I get a little pissed and say , do you really !?
Jackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:16 PM   #13
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
I was the one who asked him about it. I sat in a C7 at a dealership a few months back and the salesman showed me that feature. Then I saw it on a YouTube review as well, and later got mixed up thinking I had seen the feature on a Camaro as well, since I have been watching a ton of Camaro videos over the last couple years. So I told the salesman I thought there was a storage area behind the screen, and asked if he knew how to open it. Maybe he was being diplomatic and not wanting to correct me - you know, the customer is always right? So by saying he didn't think the feature was on 2018 models, who knows?

He was actually quite knowledgeable about the car to be honest. Surprising actually, and refreshing for a change.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:01 PM   #14
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass View Post
You did what you had to do in order to get better at what you were doing , and that’s great
The dealer that you mention above is just like some , or most of the people that work on those big boxes hardware stores , they tend to move merchandise around every so often , and when I go in and go to the place where it was a couple weeks before and it’s no longer there , I just ask someone that suppose to work there , and it goes like this ,,,, can you tell me where those pieces are at ? Most of the time the clerk just turn around and say , I don’t know , I just work here !!! Some time I get a little pissed and say , do you really !?
Haha yeah I don't really bother asking most of the people I see working at Walmart for instance. I know several from either working there before or getting to know them and they can be reliable. It's just people in general, they either don't try or don't care enough to be helpful. That's funny though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
I was the one who asked him about it. I sat in a C7 at a dealership a few months back and the salesman showed me that feature. Then I saw it on a YouTube review as well, and later got mixed up thinking I had seen the feature on a Camaro as well, since I have been watching a ton of Camaro videos over the last couple years. So I told the salesman I thought there was a storage area behind the screen, and asked if he knew how to open it. Maybe he was being diplomatic and not wanting to correct me - you know, the customer is always right? So by saying he didn't think the feature was on 2018 models, who knows?

He was actually quite knowledgeable about the car to be honest. Surprising actually, and refreshing for a change.
That's a good point, that could have very well been the case. I'm glad to hear you probably have a decent dealership to work with in your area. Honest mistakes happen, or just good customer service and not wanting to correct the customer. It would be neat if our screen did have a hidden compartment behind it. Storage is pretty limited in the Camaro.

The one local to me isn't too bad for service, but in terms of actually ordering a vehicle from them, it was a nightmare. The gal that helped me was fantastic, but the guys behind the scene that actually order the vehicles could not give me a straight answer and dragged me along for a few months before I finally gave up and went to a dealership 8 hours away to buy a Camaro that was spec'd out to my liking. The problem at my local dealership is they're a low volume Chevy dealership that sells mostly trucks and sedans, so when the Camaro came out they couldn't get allocation because of their low sale record for the Camaro model. It took three months to get that answer from them. My order just sat out in limbo at the same status number. Super frustrating as this was my first new vehicle purchase. My wife and I recently bought a used vehicle from them, so they're not awful by any means, they don't really go above and beyond to make that sale unfortunately.