Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 04-19-2013, 02:10 AM   #1
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
Billet Cap install question

Hey guys,
Ive never done diff work so any and all help is appreciated. I am wanting to buy a brand new 1LE diff, but before I install it, I would like to put billet caps in it to add some strength. Is that something I can do at home? I would rather not buy the diff, send it out to be worked on, and then have it sent back to me. Makes it expensive. I know about the exchange programs through a couple vendors but dont really want to go that route because I want new parts, not something someone beat the shit out of. Can I just undo the cover, swap out caps and call it good? Thanks!!
Old 04-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
No, you can't. The mounting surfaces of the JRE Billet Caps must be precision machined to meet a specific diameter. There are installation instructions available on Jannetty's website. But since the carrier has to come out anyway, this would be a good time to install the JRE posi-mod or better yet, the Eaton TrueTrac.

Last edited by blazzin1; 04-19-2013 at 08:35 AM.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Thanks for the response.... not really the one I was hoping for though. Lol! I have definitely been looking into the TruTrac, but by the time I have Jannetty build one, Im in it for $3900, (dont want to send mine in for core charge. $1200 for a core charge is ridiculous...anyway) $1500 more I could get a hammerhead. Was hoping to build a stout 1LE diff since my driving style is not abusive enough to justify 12bolt/9in. Oh well, thanks for the help!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
blazzin1

Why buy an entire new differential???....you have the same exact differential already, just with different gears!!! Just buy the parts and have a "knowledgeable" shop install them....

3.91 Gears = $250
TrueTrac Posi = $550
Billet Main Caps = $170
Install "half" kit = $130
Total Parts = $1100

Labor = depends on how much you're willing to do yourself!!!

This route will give you a BETTER rear end than a stock 1LE rear end....and for less money.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
blazzein is correct. We do the JRE clutch & since we are a machine shop do the billet caps on most as well.

This is something we do in 1 day for customers....true trac as well if desired.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
blazzin1

If you can remove and install the "pumpkin" out yourself, you will save a ton of labor costs. Plus, when I removed my carrier and gears (to replace them with the TrueTrac and 3.91's), I sold the original posi-unit and gears together on the Camaro5 classifieds for like $375!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Why buy an entire new differential???....you have the same exact differential already, just with different gears!!! Just buy the parts and have a "knowledgeable" shop install them....

3.91 Gears = $250
TrueTrac Posi = $550
Billet Main Caps = $170
Install "half" kit = $130
Total Parts = $1100

This route will give you a BETTER rear end than a stock 1LE rear end....and for less money.
Hahaha I probably wouldn't use a "knowledgable" shop, better place it safe and use a "reputable" shop.

Sorry, your placement of the quotes was just kind of funny.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
blazzin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Hahaha I probably wouldn't use a "knowledgable" shop, better place it safe and use a "reputable" shop.

Sorry, your placement of the quotes was just kind of funny.
Well, however you want to say it.....Just use a shop that knows what the hell they're doing!!!! That's what I was trying to say!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #9
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS

Drives: Black 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 376LS3 View Post
Thanks for the response.... not really the one I was hoping for though. Lol! I have definitely been looking into the TruTrac, but by the time I have Jannetty build one, Im in it for $3900, (dont want to send mine in for core charge. $1200 for a core charge is ridiculous...anyway) $1500 more I could get a hammerhead. Was hoping to build a stout 1LE diff since my driving style is not abusive enough to justify 12bolt/9in. Oh well, thanks for the help!
For $3900 you could do the ZL1 driveline kit.
Tech AFX Heater Hose Relocation Kit, Black Chrome Wheels
Pfadt trailing and toe arms, Pfadt solid subframe mounts, Pfadt diff bushings, Street Slayer Twin Carbon
Technostalgia Camaro LED taillights, CTS-V Front Brakes, Powder Coated Calipers By ME
MGW Short Throw Shifter
Complete ZL1 Rearend Swap
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
blazzin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth 2010 2SS/RS View Post
Yeah, true dat!!! Good point!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Well, however you want to say it.....Just use a shop that knows what the hell they're doing!!!! That's what I was trying to say!!!
I know what you meant no worries
Old 04-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
bhillakaiceberg

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 2017 1SS
Yea, either way, if your are going to do it, do it correctly the first time. Gears with Posi with Caps. IMHO

2017 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS Auto
9.29 @144.57mph ALL MOTOR SBE

#TEAMGPI Gwatney Performance Innovation

bhillakaiceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #13
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
The Hammerhead is a pricey unit. Which is why I didn't buy one, but rather built my existing stock unit to match the Hammerhead. The only difference between my unit and the Hammerhead is the casing and diff cover. At the end of the day you're talking about about $2000 out the door to have it built with all the same parts.
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Chris82xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Quote:
Why buy an entire new differential???
Because I cant have the car down to pulll the diff and send it out. Was just thinking I could buy a new diff for $1600, put caps in it, and have a stout brand new diff for $1750

Quote:
None, I dont have any diff experience. Ill take it out, but thats the extent of the work I can do! Lol!

Quote:
If you can remove and install the "pumpkin" out yourself, you will save a ton of labor costs. Plus, when I removed my carrier and gears (to replace them with the TrueTrac and 3.91's), I sold the original posi-unit and gears together on the Camaro5 classifieds for like $375!!!
I havent heard of too many reputable shops around Austin to take it too. I was originally looking into the Lashway and Jannettys exchange programs, but like I said, that gets expensive when you start shipping a big heavy box. If I were to do a Jannetty rebuild with Eaton/3.91/install kit/caps, is there anything in the case that is used?? Since its not my diff hes rebuilding, Im just worried about getting parts back that have high mileage back and more suseptible to break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth 2010 2SS/RS View Post
That has been my number 1 option for the last couple months. A couple weeks ago, I bought some GFORCE axles for a racing event that didnt make in time for me to use. Since the axles cant be used on the ZL1 diff, I started looking into building the stock diff up. Theyre still in the box but dont want to sell them because then Im going to lose money. At least thats my thought process now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhillakaiceberg View Post
Yea, either way, if your are going to do it, do it correctly the first time. Gears with Posi with Caps. IMHO
Ya, if I do a stock rebuild, itll be fully built. I dont drive my car hard at all, but just like to know that when I do, I wont be leaving pieces everywhere. Im only at 490whp. Yes that number will go up, but not for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris82xx View Post
The Hammerhead is a pricey unit. Which is why I didn't buy one, but rather built my existing stock unit to match the Hammerhead. The only difference between my unit and the Hammerhead is the casing and diff cover. At the end of the day you're talking about about $2000 out the door to have it built with all the same parts.
Who did your build? Local or vendor? Thanks everyone!