Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-05-2018, 11:43 PM   #29
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
The Chevelle reborn as a Charger competitor could be a win for Chevy if they did it right. The name is legendary. The Impala could be the large, front drive cruiser and the Chevelle could be the mid size, rear drive performance sedan. However, front engine, V8, rear drive, four door muscle/performance cars are a dying breed. I guess the charger sells ok, but not sure it would be worth it to GM. They do already have a platform they could use from Cadillac, but who knows? As for a 2 door Chevelle, I highly doubt it. Definitely a dead breed unfortunately.

My Chevelle that I owned for 26 years.
Attached Images

Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:36 AM   #30
Rayfield

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
That's a sharp looking car!
Rayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #31
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayfield View Post
That's a sharp looking car!
Thanks! Took four years and a boat load of cash. Lol I did everything except paint and body. Cammed LS, wilwood brakes, 9 inch rear, full UMI suspension, 3pc forged wheels, yadda, yadda, yadda.
Attached Images

Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:22 AM   #32
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Originally Posted by outobie
I seem to be in the minority on this forum but handling and fuel mileage are way more important than a big motor. I would have liked to have had an all wheel drive option and the higher spec suspension option on the 2.0T motor.

Quote:
This is the position that I was in, about 5 years ago, wanted a light-weight, RWD sports car, in the tradition of "true" sports cars. I wound up in the BRZ, which, make no mistake, is a blast to drive, if you enjoy hanging the rear out there, on a regular basis.

But I come from higher-hp cars, in the past, and eventually the little 4-banger wasn't enough. One test drive with the LT1 sealed the deal.. Fuel mileage isn't a high priority for me, at this point.

All wheel Dr. is completely unacceptable in an American musclecar.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #33
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCG Garnet Red View Post
Cars I have owned, in order age 15 to 32 (63 this month): 65 EL Camino (15), 66 Malibu coupe (16), 72 Malibu 350 2v (17), 72 Chevelle SS 350 4v (19), 75 RS Camaro (21), 79 Z28 (1st new car, 23), 64 Malibu SS vert (30), 70 Chevelle SS396 4 sp ( 30 sold in summer of 87 to buy 79 vette, worse car move I ever made although I still have the vette and like it), 84 Monte Carlo SS ( 28, "my family car" when my daughter was born. This reminded me so much of a Chevelle in so many ways except just a H.O. 305. GM stopped the model to go FWD and build more pickups- big mistake). Wanted the vette, who knew the Chevelle would be a $60K car today, Fathom Blue, white stripes, white interior, buckets, console, 4 sp, factory air, and gauges. Don't know what I was thinking. So it goes, a Chevelle today with a big block and all required safety features would make the modern Challenger look like a lightweight and would cannibalize Camaro sales to the 40 - 65 age group that remembers them and buys Camaros. Wish I had the 70 back!

I knew prices would jump the minute I heard the performance car era was coming to an end in the early 70s to meet epa standards. I had 69 Road Runner, I was going to keep it until antique because I knew the value would rise. Ended up selling it because some idiot woman backed out of her parking spot without looking and damaged my front fender then I made the mistake of having it repaired by an irresponsible jerk who took the car to his place of work which was a body shop, he was going to repair it and repaint it off the clock on his own time. While in his possession the car got vandalized. Was going to cost me too much to get it back to the way I wanted it. It wasn't that bad, but it was no longer my daily driver and opted to unload it for $1500 in I think 1987. Not a bad price then but today we are talking 30-40k for a 69' 383 RoadRunner. I owned this car for almost 12 years and was my daily driver for about 8.

Last edited by MackSteelPrivateEye; 04-06-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:18 PM   #34
Rayfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
All wheel Dr. is completely unacceptable in an American musclecar.
AWD? BRZ is RWD. I did have 2 modified Subaru WRX's, over the years, and AWD or not, they were a blast to drive! But, as you say, clearly not a musclecar of any kind..
Old 04-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #35
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Quote:
AWD? BRZ is RWD. I did have 2 modified Subaru WRX's, over the years, and AWD or not, they were a blast to drive! But, as you say, clearly not a musclecar of any kind..
Or American...All wheell drive for for a BZR is just fine.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #36
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
In 1970 no one cared about gas mileage, insurance, emissions, and cars were relatively cheaper. So Chevy was doing great with Camaro, Chevelle, Impala, Monte Carlo, and Corvette in their lineup all with big beefy motors and some level of at least decent performance. And Pontiac had Firebird/Trans Am, GTO, Grand Prix.

The world we live in today is much different. Now, me personally, as a 40 year old automotive enthusiast, I still don't care about fuel economy, emissions, and insurance. Most people do, which is why we now have CAFE and Honda sells 350,000 Accords and 280,000 Civics every year with sewing machines under the hood and there was a while in the early 2000s where of the Big 3 only Ford offered anything with 8 cylinders.

GM would lose serious money today if they started producing another 2 door muscle car with a V8.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #37
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
GM is chopping too many cars from the rumors. If the economy crashes and starts moving to cars again, they will probably release sonething like it right before the economy returns to trucks again. GM has never been great on timing IMO.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:11 PM   #38
Rayfield

Quote:
I'm confused about how we got started talking about AWD.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:14 PM   #39
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
He is saying that the BRZ is RWD and not AWD... not that the BRZ shouldn't be AWD.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:26 PM   #40
CCG Garnet Red

Drives: 2017 RS Garnet Red Tintcoat A8
Quote:
I knew prices would jump the minute I heard the performance car era was coming to an end in the early 70s to meet epa standards. I had 69 Road Runner, I was going to keep it until antique because I knew the value would rise. Ended up selling it because some idiot woman backed out of her parking spot without looking and damaged my front fender then I made the mistake of having it repaired by an irresponsible jerk who took the car to his place of work which was a body shop, he was going to repair it and repaint it off the clock on his own time. While in his possession the car got vandalized. Was going to cost me too much to get it back to the way I wanted it. It wasn't that bad, but it was no longer my daily driver and opted to unload it for $1500 in I think 1987. Not a bad price then but today we are talking 30-40k for a 69' 383 RoadRunner. I owned this car for almost 12 years and was my daily driver for about 8.
Sold my 70 Chevelle that summer of '87 for $4250, (more than it probably cost new). It liked very little being a complete body on restoration after 5 years work. Not ashamed to admit that I broke into tears as a 32 year old as it was driven away by the new owner (he missed 3rd gear). In my defense, I was recently divorced and had a 2 year old daughter that I was driving 2 hrs to pick up every other weekend. Ex got the main ride and I was left with the Chevelle (which she had hated of course!) and the ugliest, brown '83 V6 Cutlass coupe on earth. Hated the payments on the Olds, so sold both to buy my '79 Vette as a dependable daily driver at the time, (typical post divorce, early mid-life move). Still own the vette, still miss the Chevelle!
CCG Garnet Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:28 PM   #41
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
Thanks! Took four years and a boat load of cash. Lol I did everything except paint and body. Cammed LS, wilwood brakes, 9 inch rear, full UMI suspension, 3pc forged wheels, yadda, yadda, yadda.
Gorgeous!!
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:49 PM   #42
LS6-M22
Rockcrusher

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Couldn't they just have used the CTS Coupe configuration of the Alpha Chassis and restyle the body as Chevelle, Impalla, or Nova throwback and throw a Chevy badge on the front?

Either way, more room, with a V8, and rear wheel drive (not to mention German like handling) would be very tempting, assuming it looked right.
Yes they could! I am a Chevelle guy through and through. My first car was a 1969 L78. My current Chevelle is an LS6
Attached Images

LS6-M22 is offline   Reply With Quote