Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 05-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #1
Test_Eng

Drives: 2013 1SS RS 1LE NPP ADM LSA CON
Harness Bar for Taller Drivers

What are the options? Hate to buy something and then not be able to fit in the car with a helmet on.

Just run my second track day at summit point FATT and had a great time but something became very obvious to me this time.

The GEN 5’s do not have much support or anything to hang onto for the instructors in the passenger seat. The car was moving better than ever given some upgrades this past winter but I kept seeing the instructor trying to grab something or anything during the runs. I could tell even the E-Brake seemed like an option to the instructor but thankfully he did not grab it.

So it makes sense that I need a 4-5 or 6 point harness installed but with me being 6’7” and allowing enough height for my helmet my seat is way back. I’ll add a picture showing my seat placement. What options do I have for a harness bar if any?

2013 1SS 1LE non-recaro seats if that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Test_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 01:47 PM   #2
Test_Eng

Old 05-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #3
Synner

Drives: cars
BK has some adjustment with the ends. It really depends on where your shoulders are, vs seat position, relative to bar placement so you can get the +/-10 degrees of angle to your shoulder.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #4
Test_Eng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
BK has some adjustment with the ends. It really depends on where your shoulders are, vs seat position, relative to bar placement so you can get the +/-10 degrees of angle to your shoulder.

Thanks for the response.

Not sure how much adjustment is in the BK but it does look very well made.

Shoulders are above the seat:

I think I am SOL unless I get something custom made. Hate to pay over a grand for the bar and harnesses to only need to return them.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #5
QUICRNU

Drives: Z06 wannabe
We should be able to make that for less than 1,000. Being 6'4 i have a slightly smaller problem the same as you
Old 05-07-2018, 09:26 PM   #6
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
What about a affordable tank plate?
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:02 PM   #7
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
The Brey-Krause is the best harness bar out there. The best I can offer for fit is, I just went out and measured where the center of my upper bar is, and it's exactly 4" measured from the vertical plastic cover at the "B" pillar, measured at the exact height of the horizontal bar. I have Recaro's, and am only 5'8", so I have about 1"-2" of space between my seat and the bar. I think the Recaro's are thicker seats, fwiw.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:48 AM   #8
Synner

Drives: cars
You might be able to add a couple inches to the lower link. I doubt the eyes have the needed adjustment. That may do it but it'd be close. I'd suggest finding someone who has it, loosening the top 2 Allen bolts and swing the rear piece up to see if you get the needed height. Otherwise full custom...
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #9
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
If you go with an aftermarket seat, you can install it much closer to the floor and minimize this issue.