Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-08-2016, 08:53 PM   #29
RichSS2006

Drives: 2010 2SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavoie87 View Post
i dont get why so many llt have issues im going on 95K with zero issues with the motor and its blown.. MAINTENANCE, MAINTENANCE , MAINTENANCE take care of it it takes care of you ..tons of people knocking the llt
Totally agree.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:11 AM   #30
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavoie87 View Post
i dont get why so many llt have issues im going on 95K with zero issues with the motor and its blown.. MAINTENANCE, MAINTENANCE , MAINTENANCE take care of it it takes care of you ..tons of people knocking the llt
tons of people are knocking the LLT because tons of LLTs are knocking. Even with maintenance correctly done and on time or even early people are having spun bearings and time chain issues, hell even having oil disappear into thin air. Just because you were a lucky one to get through 95k miles without any issues doesnt make yours the majority. I can't even be biased in this situation, but the LLT is a shit motor that was replaced for good reason.
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:00 PM   #31
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkentect View Post
tons of people are knocking the LLT because tons of LLTs are knocking. Even with maintenance correctly done and on time or even early people are having spun bearings and time chain issues, hell even having oil disappear into thin air. Just because you were a lucky one to get through 95k miles without any issues doesnt make yours the majority. I can't even be biased in this situation, but the LLT is a shit motor that was replaced for good reason.
I believe there were a bad lot of motors out there.
There is a "blown motor" thread where members indicated Jan - Mar 2010 builds in a certain plant down south? Can't remember exactly.
Maybe someone can find the thread.
Edit: Found the thread.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=blown+engine

All I know is some go the distance, some do not. For instance Member PieNsky
has over 190k on his LLT before he turned it over to his son.
He bought his LS in 2009 when I did.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:30 AM   #32
arkentect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
I believe there were a bad lot of motors out there.
There is a "blown motor" thread where members indicated Jan - Mar 2010 builds in a certain plant down south? Can't remember exactly.
Maybe someone can find the thread.
Edit: Found the thread.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=blown+engine

All I know is some go the distance, some do not. For instance Member PieNsky
has over 190k on his LLT before he turned it over to his son.
He bought his LS in 2009 when I did.
I know about the thread, I think I was part of it or at least added mine to the list. Its still a limited motor with a very limited ECU
Old 09-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #33
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkentect View Post
I know about the thread, I think I was part of it or at least added mine to the list. Its still a limited motor with a very limited ECU
Come on, the thread was from 2013, you joined 2015.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #34
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:

Hard to imagine somebody using the search function and seeing a thread that pre-dates their join date. Wait, no it's not.

You did see he said "I think I was part of it", right? So, he didn't chime in, doesn't mean he didn't see it.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:24 AM   #35
arkentect

Quote:
I've seen that one as well, but I'm pretty sure there's a longer more up to date thread too.

I understand that you feel the need to defend your beloved Camaro because all-in-all yours has been fairly dependable. But when the forum hosts 2-3 threads per month on a failed LLT motor, there's something wrong. If it were only spun bearings causing the failures then we could blame the batch of bearings used in a certain production window. But the fact is there are numerous issues that have been causing the failures, spun bearings, Oil consumption, timing chains just to name a few.

I may have joined in 2015 but at least I can see the evidence in front of me.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:21 PM   #36
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
30K is a bit past redline.
A bit of a knock past 30k RPM can be expected.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:24 PM   #37
shrinkdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3VOLT View Post
The oil was a little low but not completely dry. The oil is thick and brown with no unique smell or metal flakes. Like I said I doubt they used dextos approved or even changed the filter but still as long as there was oil it should not have had that much of an impact. Not a single code or any warning lights just the terrible sound/s. I am really struggling with just ripping the motor apart but don't want to waste my time if it is not able to be repaired. I think a timing chain is ruled out leaving just a spun bearing/thrown rod. I have been trying to find a replacement bearing kit to no avail. If I'm going in I'm doing all of them along with any other upgrades while in there. Just don't want to waste the time if I don't need to but if that's what I have to do then so be it!
Sounds like it wasn't taken care of, oil shouldn't be thick and brown, should look like oil not BM.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:29 PM   #38
shrinkdoc

Quote:
So when you swapped motors, did you get another LLT or was it an LFX? What I'm hearing from a certified Chevy dealer guy is the LLT was known for this problem due to the screen clog under the cam actuator which in turn does not allow the oil to pass thru ultimately leading to the problems with the spun bearing, rod knock and piston slap. The LLT sounds like a ticking time bomb that should be a class action lawsuit. Apparently Chevy is/was very aware of this hence the new design in 2012-15 motors.
If ugo LFX you can't use your headers.

Last edited by shrinkdoc; 09-16-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:36 PM   #39
VEESIKS
formerly 2011Camaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS IBM M6
Definitely want to avoid starting it any more. Most dealers don't even mess with rebuilds they just throw a new long block in there. If you can find a decent machine shop/engine builder you may be able to save some money. Good luck
Old 10-18-2016, 08:33 PM   #40
R3VOLT

Drives: 2010 1LT / LE 600
Sorry been busy as hell and Grandpa's got pancreatic cancer.

Not looking for any sympathy...just some help from the all the knowledgable classy Camaro driving humans on this forum

So took off the only thing I upgraded Cold Air Inductions (CAI) and looking inside the Throttle Body the butterfly is not strait up and down but almost a 1/2 inch of oil stain as to where it should normally sit. Not sure what is up with that??

Exhaust, cats and ex manifolds have been removed and the oil drained along with the filter removed. The filter has very fresh small metal shavings in it and after running a brand new magnet through the old oil with motor medic in it I couldn't find anything in the old oil that made it past the filter.

I have to pull the intake man to port and polish and install VMAX black ice'olater so that's coming off but I'm still trying to get to the root issue on the engine. I thought someone was telling me to drop the oil pan to look at bearings/rods but I also seen a post saying something about 8+ hours??!!??

Someone else here is saying timing chain.....next step?????
R3VOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:11 AM   #41
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Not looking for any sympathy...just some help from the all the knowledgable classy Camaro driving humans on this forum

So took off the only thing I upgraded Cold Air Inductions (CAI) and looking inside the Throttle Body the butterfly is not strait up and down but almost a 1/2 inch of oil stain as to where it should normally sit. Not sure what is up with that??

Exhaust, cats and ex manifolds have been removed and the oil drained along with the filter removed. The filter has very fresh small metal shavings in it and after running a brand new magnet through the old oil with motor medic in it I couldn't find anything in the old oil that made it past the filter.

I have to pull the intake man to port and polish and install VMAX black ice'olater so that's coming off but I'm still trying to get to the root issue on the engine. I thought someone was telling me to drop the oil pan to look at bearings/rods but I also seen a post saying something about 8+ hours??!!??

Someone else here is saying timing chain.....next step?????
98% sure it's a spun bearing. I would think if it were the timing chain you would have misfire issues galore, not to mention valves hitting pistons. Other than the noise, it sounds like the engine is firing okay. If this just started, there may not be too much collateral damage to the engine. You will need a new set of bearings, more likely than not a new crank, unless this one can be polished out. If it's a rod bearing, then you'll probably need a new rod, as this one is probably out of round.

You can probably get away with a remanufactured crank with oversized bearings, which will reduce the part cost by quite a bit. I went this route with a Corvette LT4 motor and got 80K+ more not so gentle miles on the engine. I'm not real familiar with the LLT engine, but have read where there is an issue with some of the timing chains, this might be a 'while the engines out' type of thing for you.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:22 PM   #42
R3VOLT

Drives: 2010 1LT / LE 600
Engine is out and it was spun bearing,What Now??

So now what are my options. Do they make a rebuild kit. I don't really want to put a rebuild in it but I would rather upgrade everything possible on the LLT. Did I see a stroker option...if I'm going to rebuild it I want to replace it all with new upgrades. Any info, options or opinions are welcome. Like I said I have all the toys for the motor but I want to build it to last.
R3VOLT is offline   Reply With Quote