Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > International Regions > Europe

Old 12-19-2007, 05:25 AM   #1
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Importing the Camaro to Europe

I'm sure the details will vary from country to country, but I think it might be worthwhile to discuss what is necessary to import the Camaro into Europe from the US.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:29 AM   #2
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
For me it's really simple. I've comfirmed that a reputable car dealship will import it trough Chevrolet Norden, so that will be how I'm getting it. Only dfferenc from regular car buying will be that it will probably take a bit longer to get my car if I order one.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:43 AM   #3
willisit

Drives: Vauxhall Monaro VXR
To get it over here, the lights will need sorting (either changing or aligning), if it has HIDs then light-washers have to be fitted, side repeaters will need to exist - running lights to be disabled, a fog light has to be fitted and it has to pass an SVA (Special Vehicle thingy)... but hopefully the cost is outweighed by the savings incurred from buying abroad - likely half the cost initially!
2001 Honda CBR 600 F
willisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
ferrignolou

Drives: Alfa Romeo 159 rosso
well, the challenger surely will come to europe!

hopefully the camaro too

greets, ferrignolou
ferrignolou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
Cyberstyx

Drives: Seat Leon 1.8 20VT
Send a message via MSN to Cyberstyx
Boy, talking about being fixxed with the 5th Gen forum, didn't even see there was a European thread :|

First of all, the new Camaro WILL be available to Europe, without us needing to import it from the US. Now, I don't know WHEN that will be (could be in 2010 since it 's a 2010 model). It could also be priced a lot higher compared to the US price (and that will prolly not be due to taxes only).

Talking about importing it on our own, I 've being asking questions and the major problem is getting the car a CE Marking, which is to say that the car has being testing and has passed everything, from safety tests, emition checks etc etc.

This may require some paperwork to be available along with the car, and I 'm guessing they are not talking about the user manual but maybe electricity drawnings amongst other things. I 'm hopping to check upon this with the appropriate authorities this week.

The good thing is that, if the car is accepted to be driven in the European Union, then you can drive it in any country that belongs to the EU.

The car will cost a lot cheaper (almost half it 's price) if bought in the US, and even with the necessary customs tax, it will still be cheap enough (by European standards) to get.

I 'm so hoping we can get it like that.
Cyberstyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
It is my understanding they will be exported to Europe - sounds like GM will take the effort out of it for you
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:26 AM   #7
willisit

Drives: Vauxhall Monaro VXR
Main-land Europe is lucky to be LHD!
2001 Honda CBR 600 F
willisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
roy
Erlkoenig

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by willisit View Post
Main-land Europe is lucky to be LHD!

Its the proper way to drive
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:05 AM   #9
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
I don't think they will import it: there's no market for this kinda ca rin europe (you guyes seeing a lot of mustangs?).

this is good news, the car will be cheaper.

My bro imported a 1990 corvette in france (the car was never imported by GM). The thing is quite easy: I don't have the details right now and may change with coutrnies but few hints:
make the car be bought be an american friend who resells it to you: taxes are lower on used cars.
when shipped, ask the shipper to let the car out a few weeks to make it dirty, remove some parts (make the bumper or visible things like that be shipped separately): you'll be able to declare a lower value without to many problems. If the taxman sees a wasted car, he won't look farther.
Fill the papers and bring the car home. If the car has an US licence plate, you have something like 3 month to change it. It means 3 month of wild speed with no risk for your driving license ... héhé ...
Then you will have to make the car be authorized: you just have to go to local authorities and make few changes: turning signals and so on ... give a little tip to the guy and you're car will pass first with not such a thorough review (I have an old car I homologated without even presenting the car ....).
Then you get the paper, and put everything back (common, getting a fine for your turning signals is worth the look).

Then ... enjoy! The full process form US to authorization should'nt cost much more than 5,000EUR I guess
Old 08-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #10
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
^Actually I've easily seen at least ten seperate Mustangs in my town this summer. Not counting the American Car show.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:18 PM   #11
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrignolou View Post
well, the challenger surely will come to europe!

hopefully the camaro too

greets, ferrignolou
Hey, if you decide to sell that Alfa... ring me up lol. That is one beautiful car.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #12
Punk_rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emher View Post
^Actually I've easily seen at least ten seperate Mustangs in my town this summer. Not counting the American Car show.
Saw 2 ones in paris within the last 2 years .. not much ... I mean, I don't think Chevy dealers will display camaros.

Actually I hope they won't. Officially imported cars would be sooooo expensive compared to the one you import yourself
Old 08-22-2008, 01:37 PM   #13
Delirio

Drives: A3
...how come? I mean... if you import it your own you have all the charges for transfers and mods... chevy imports cars anyway to the dealers, so no metter, and if they decide to import they arrive already "ready to go"... and here i quote Emher.. in Milan is pretty common to find mustangs, so is for Austria (one guest arrived 2 mins ago with a red/white stripes GT... still in front of my window) and Germany aswell... spotted quiete honest number of them while driving the highway. Holland aswell hase a large number of American cars lovers... Dodge Ram, Ford vans and also Chevy (this way i got the chance to hear first time live a v8)...

It is not necessary they have them "ready for deliver"... it's enough they do it official way and to the big dealers... i mean, if Chevy dealer in Germany or Austria can order them it's already done to just deliver them to other places... the big step is to cross the ocean and fix them for the law.
Delirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #14
Punk_rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirio View Post
...how come? I mean... if you import it your own you have all the charges for transfers and mods... chevy imports cars anyway to the dealers, so no metter, and if they decide to import they arrive already "ready to go"... and here i quote Emher.. in Milan is pretty common to find mustangs, so is for Austria (one guest arrived 2 mins ago with a red/white stripes GT... still in front of my window) and Germany aswell... spotted quiete honest number of them while driving the highway. Holland aswell hase a large number of American cars lovers... Dodge Ram, Ford vans and also Chevy (this way i got the chance to hear first time live a v8)...

It is not necessary they have them "ready for deliver"... it's enough they do it official way and to the big dealers... i mean, if Chevy dealer in Germany or Austria can order them it's already done to just deliver them to other places... the big step is to cross the ocean and fix them for the law.
No wonder they'll forget the euro/dollar advantage in their pricings ...

I mean, when I look at "officialy" imported mustangs (i mean by special dealers)a 30k USD car is charged 50k EUR ... knowing 30k USD should be around 22K EUR ... they charge more than twice the price!!!

I can definitely make a better deal by importing it on my own