Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
Beaukz28

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
This is a common problem I see on many GM's. it is caused by a mismatch in temp readings between the ambient, intake, and or coolant temp readings. This can be due to a t-stat not working correctly, One of those sensors being out of range, the connector to the sensor, wiring from the sensor to the ECM or the ECM itself. I have seen them all! I was told by engineering that the ECM is set up too sensitive for this code. I bet there will be a reflash eventually. One car took 4 ambient temp sensors until we resolved the problem. All four sensors varied by as much as 8 degrees due to tolerance.
Beaukz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #16
Cruzer1

Drives: 2010 Blk Supercharged 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams72 View Post
The quick way to reset the sensor is to shut the car down and disconnect the ECM Harness by the fuse box under the hood (front engine compartment, passenger side). I still don't know the cause of this but have had it several times myself.
You guys are great! I had the same problem yesterday. I received a message that my AC was shut down because the engine temperature was high. I also notice the temperature gauge was not working. I disconnected the ECM harness, reconnected and everything is working again.

Kooks 1 7/8 LT's & full 3" exhaust, Roto-Fab CAI & painted engine covers, TVS 2300 3.4" pulley, MSD BAP, MBRP square exhaust tips and AEM Boost & A/F gauges, Eibach lowering springs, Eibach front & rear sway bars.
Cruzer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:56 PM   #17
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer1 View Post
You guys are great! I had the same problem yesterday. I received a message that my AC was shut down because the engine temperature was high. I also notice the temperature gauge was not working. I disconnected the ECM harness, reconnected and everything is working again.
I have not tried the ECM harness disconnect/reconnect procedure, but my scenario throws up more questions:

Mine happened right after pulling out of an area making a right and doing a very quick 1/2 second throttle burst - the car was instantly turned 90 degrees, so I believe it may have happened due to being jarred. Now the check engine light comes on with "AC shut off due to high engine temp". I check the dash engine temp and it displays "--- " for temp, center console SS gauges show good oil pressure, but no oil temp (since we don't have real oil temp sensors - it's a derived #, I believe coolant temp must be in the equation).

Now here's the odd thing..... I have Aeroforce dual pod gauges off the OBD2 port. I changed one of the 4 readouts to Engine Coolant Temp and it is working. If I unplug the sensor on the drivers side head, the Aeroforce gauge readout no longer reads out correct (some gigantic #), I plug it back in and the gauge works again - but the dash reading still reads "---". This tells me the sensor is working.

To add to the mix, 6 months ago my gas level gauge turned off on the way back from Sturgis, but could be reactivated by doing a quick Wide-open-throttle pass. Fuel pressure readings were always good - so wasn't overly concerned, except it's nice to know when you need fuel when traveling LOL. It came back about 3 more times, but each time could be rectified by a WOT pass. Went away and never happened again.

I'll post up here when I find the solution. Brian at WyoSpeed suggested check the ECM wiring also.
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Blue70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:13 AM   #18
Blue70SS

Well..... I tried disconnecting both of the ECM harnesses for a few minutes and reconnecting. It worked! Dash shows 54 degrees and Aeroforce gauge shows 53.5 off the OBD2 port (dash probably rounds up).

I suppose it could still be a bad sensor or loose wiring since it appeared with movement. Possibly the ECM has to be reset if it sees something wrong, where the OBD2 output still reads correctly? I didn't see or read any codes with a scanner - maybe if it happens again I'll do that 1st.

Next test will be having someone watch my gauges as I move the wiring on the ECT sensor, then on the ECM harnesses to see if the problem can be repeated.

If nothing there, I may test the dash connections.

LPE Brotherhood
Old 03-23-2014, 12:22 AM   #19
Blue70SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams72 View Post
The quick way to reset the sensor is to shut the car down and disconnect the ECM Harness by the fuse box under the hood (front engine compartment, passenger side). I still don't know the cause of this but have had it several times myself.
Has it happened anymore? Is it possible that it comes back after some type of vibration/sudden movement?

LPE Brotherhood
Old 03-23-2014, 12:34 AM   #20
Blue70SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielblack60 View Post
It is untelling how many times I've had this customer concern. Every time I scanned one, the code was p0128. Engine coolant temp below threshold. Replaced thermostat and it was like it never happened

Not saying you all are having different troubles, but 98.3456 times out of 100 a thermostat will fix your problem.

PS: winter months are usually when you see thermostats start to fail, just food for thought.
I presume you mean "engine coolant sensor" and not the actual thermostat? The thermostat makes no sense, since the temp hasn't been reported as actually being high... just the message that implies it. My coolant temp via OBD2 was about 163 on a 160 thermostat. Thermostat does make sense if it really IS overheating though.

LPE Brotherhood
Old 03-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #21
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Had this happen, seems to be a common glitch. I just shut the car off and pulled the ECM plug, and that fixed it. No problems since.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #22
Blue70SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznts View Post
Had this happen, seems to be a common glitch. I just shut the car off and pulled the ECM plug, and that fixed it. No problems since.
Wyospeed suggested it may be low pin tension on the ECU harness female pin. Still going to check for loose connections on mine too.

How long ago did yours happen?

LPE Brotherhood
Old 05-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #23
danielblack60

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8, 1998 K1500 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue70SS View Post
I presume you mean "engine coolant sensor" and not the actual thermostat? The thermostat makes no sense, since the temp hasn't been reported as actually being high... just the message that implies it. My coolant temp via OBD2 was about 163 on a 160 thermostat. Thermostat does make sense if it really IS overheating though.

Sorry to leave you guys hanging. I haven't been on here in a while.

A dtc p0128 usually sets with the "a/c off due to high engine temp" message. The dash lies to you and tells you your car is running too hot, when in reality p0128 is a code for the car not reaching operating temperature fast enough. Which 99% of the time is caused by a stuck upen thermostat.

The actual description for dtc p0128 is "engine coolant temperature below thermostat regulated temperature". The reason the dtc is there is because the car needs to reach operating temperature as soon as possible in order to achieve closed loop and operate more efficiently.

If you have a 160 degree thermostat in your vehicle that is a good reason for that particular code to set. Your ECM is looking for coolant temps 180-210ish depending on ambient air temperatures, and if it stays around 160, or takes a really long time to reach 180ish, p0128 will set and your dash will tell you the car is running hot so you will take it in and get the problem fixed.

Previous Rides
2010 Camaro 1SS M6-12.14 @114 Bolt Ons
2014 GMC Sierra SLT 5.3/6L80
danielblack60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #24
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Same problem here...A/C Off Due To High Engine Temp in DIC. Would love to know how to disconnect/reconnect the ECM harness. Not even sure where it is...little help?

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:27 PM   #25
Luckymex_dallas
Drag Racer

Drives: 2010 2SS/Rs
After three generations of camaro owners I think I may trade mine in and go to ford or Toyota. This and all the problemsI've had is senseless
Luckymex_dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #26
xqwzit

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS 6M
I had the same issue happen yesterday. A/C off due to high temp message.... I didn't get the P0128 code. But I did have P0116, P0650, P1133, P1153. Coolant temp gauge on dash wasn't working and either was the oil temp gauge in the console 4pk gauges. All other gauges were working, I didn't unplug anything. I let is sit over night and everything worked fine this morning. Still trying to find out what the last two codes I got are. Hopefully figure this out so I don't have it happen again.

Now I do have a 160* t-stat, as required by the whipple supercharger. However I've had that on for the last 30k miles without issue.

Last edited by xqwzit; 07-17-2014 at 10:24 AM.
xqwzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #27
Brett64D

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 LS3
I am now having this issue as well. Can someone post a pic of where to disconnect the ECM harness? Thanks!
Whipple 2.9L Supercharger, Stage 2 CNC ported heads, Stage 3 Blower cam, ID850 injectors, 3-bolt cam sprocket, Lonnie's double fuel pump system, DOD/AFM Delete kit, ARP head & crank bolts, Trans cooler, Circle D Multi-Disc Torque Converter 3600 Stall, Lakewood sub-frame connectors, BMR Rear Differential Cradle bushings, BMR front and rear sway bars, BMR lower control arms, Lakewood trailing arms, Lakewood adjustable Toe links, One-piece 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft, 1400 HP Axles. Demon Eye Halos, RapidFire Brake light LEDs, Maas Monaco rims (Custom painted for color match), Heritage Grill.
Brett64D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:19 AM   #28
SandmanSS

Drives: 87 IrocZ-2010 SS/RS
just finished installing headers last night; dropped it back down, reconnected battery and started right up with this message. thinking maybe coolant sensor was pinched near headers? also will look at the ECM idea. Anything else new come up?