Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #29
Spektrum

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
What size winter tires are you guys running on stock wheels?
Spektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:51 AM   #30
Jalberdi99

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawk823 View Post
Depends on where you are located. As someone already said, if you are in the mountains, I'd get snows.
Where I am (Richmond area), I drove my 2LT for the past 2 winters on all seasons (NOT the Pirellis), and had no issues. I did not like how the Pirellis felt in temps that went in the 30s. I bought the Parada Spec X tires.

When I got my SS, my first "mod" was getting all seasons (see my sig). With the amount of snow we typically have, IMHO, I don't think snow tires in this area are needed.

Also, I grew up in Buffalo, NY and I drove rear wheel drive vehicles throughout the winters there for nearly 20 years before we left the area.
im right outside of wash DC. so as long that theres no snow or freezing rain i should be ok right.
Jalberdi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #31
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Summer tires get hard and start to slide easy around 35-40 degrees and colder. Someone chime in if I'm wrong, but that's what I've alway understood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #32
lgKido

Drives: 2002 Dodge Ram :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirush View Post
For those who drive your camaro in the winter...How many lb.'s do you put in trunk during winter?

Thanks
Friction (between the tire and pavement surface) is what gives all cars (and people walking) the ability to move forward. And friction is a function of (dependent on) two parameters: One, the downward force (weight of the car); and two, something called a frictional constant which is dependent on the two contacting surfaces: rubber from the tire, and the surface of the snow covered road.

To increase the downward force (weight of the car) put a couple of sand bags in the trunk and/or fill up with fuel.

To increase the frictional constant you can use snow tires, studded tires (which may be illegal in your state) and/or chains depending on the severity of road conditions.
lgKido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #33
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
0 Lbs.

and unless you have summer only tires, snow tires are not needed IMO but if you want to buy them thats up to you. I drove my mustangs with all season tires in chicago winters with no problem at all. But extra weight is not needed
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #34
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Average sized adult body will work fine......
Seriously I used to put about 100 pounds in my nova when I was street racing her back in the day. The Camaro will sit and I' ll use a daily driver.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #35
lgKido

Drives: 2002 Dodge Ram :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
unless you have summer only tires, snow tires are not needed.
I agree, provided you own a good set of all seasons.

Quote:
0 Lbs. extra weight is not needed
Wrong! Extra weight WILL help unless the winter conditions are not severe. In Pennsylvania, I'm assuming you get a lot of snow.
lgKido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:13 PM   #36
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I did the extra weight thing, then tried without it and to me it made no difference except for taking up trunk space.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #37
Powhusku

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektrum View Post
What size winter tires are you guys running on stock wheels?
I run 245 front, 275 rear like stock tires, but I'm told there are advantages to running 245 all around.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #38
CSM088

Drives: 1981 Z28 // 2010 1SS LS3
The amount of fuss I hear from some of you about "winter" is frustrating! Unless it goes below 0 (32F) and its snowing/raining, you are fine. Even then, unless its been cold for awhile, the warmer ground and friction from other vehicles will prevent the rain/snow from freezing. If it does often throughout your winter season, get some 18" rims with winter tires. The best winter set-up is a tall, narrow tire on a smaller rim. Weight in the trunk may help but that's more of a solution for RWD trucks that that have no weight in the back (they are not a balanced vehicle like the Camaro).

I drove my SS with summer tires in snow for a month last January (that's a Winnipeg January) and it sucked... but wasn't impossible; you have to drive appropriately. I've seen videos of Camaro's sliding down driveways (use momentum!) and having to floor it to get down the street, with the tires spinning constantly (this person doesn't know how to drive in the winter!).

I don't mean to come off as arrogant and I don't expect you to agree with all that I say, but consider the weather I have driven through all my life and that it may give me somewhat of an idea of what we're talking about!
CSM088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #39
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangore View Post
Summer tires get hard and start to slide easy around 35-40 degrees and colder. Someone chime in if I'm wrong, but that's what I've alway understood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've driven on dry pavement in -20F with the stock Pirellis, and while they dont grip quite as good they are sufficient to move the car on DRY PAVEMENT when its cold out......if you think it will handle the same as it does when its 80 outside or try to drive in snow and ice conditions I hope you have your insurance paid up and have made peace with your God.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #40
Jalberdi99

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSM088 View Post
The amount of fuss I hear from some of you about "winter" is frustrating! Unless it goes below 0 (32F) and its snowing/raining, you are fine. Even then, unless its been cold for awhile, the warmer ground and friction from other vehicles will prevent the rain/snow from freezing. If it does often throughout your winter season, get some 18" rims with winter tires. The best winter set-up is a tall, narrow tire on a smaller rim. Weight in the trunk may help but that's more of a solution for RWD trucks that that have no weight in the back (they are not a balanced vehicle like the Camaro).

I drove my SS with summer tires in snow for a month last January (that's a Winnipeg January) and it sucked... but wasn't impossible; you have to drive appropriately. I've seen videos of Camaro's sliding down driveways (use momentum!) and having to floor it to get down the street, with the tires spinning constantly (this person doesn't know how to drive in the winter!).

I don't mean to come off as arrogant and I don't expect you to agree with all that I say, but consider the weather I have driven through all my life and that it may give me somewhat of an idea of what we're talking about!

i hope you are right man, i keep hearing about summer tires been the worst for winter and that i will end up in a ditch.
Jalberdi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:58 PM   #41
camarored97

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th
About 3 dead hookers, a kilo of blow, a shotgun, 3 boxes of ammo, and ski mask. It comes out to about 317lbs give or take the size of the hookers. I have never gotten stuck in the snow while leaving the bank at a high rate of speed.
camarored97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:50 PM   #42
SirZeusor

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPFREEKSCOTTY View Post
How much weight to put in the trunk?

Depends on how fat the dead hooker is.
SirZeusor is offline   Reply With Quote