Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
mrgoombatts

Drives: jeep srt8
summer only tires in the cold winter weather.

Hey everyone im curious to know if I am ruining my summer only 20 inch pirelli tires buy driving with them on my car in the snow and very cold temps of teens and twentys. I have drove in snow and ice with these tires on my car and have had no problems. The only problem ive had is my steering is not so great when the tires are really cold . Please tell me what eveyone thinks am i going to wreck these tires , does anyone think im nuts for using them lol.
mrgoombatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
u are gonna end up wrecking your entire car!

why do ppl always think they are smarter than the Engineers at Perelli? they are Summer Performance ONLY tires for a reason....invest in a set of All-season or winter tires or soon your car will be a wreck!

check around this site and you find plenty of threads ranging from small fender benders to completely written off Camaros that were driving in cold weather on the summer tires.

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
No, you will not ruin the PZeros by driving in the cold and snow. As you have probably found out, they don't grip as well. But if you are a good enough driver to adjust your driving to match the lower performance of the tires, go for it. Won't hurt a thing.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoombatts View Post
Hey everyone im curious to know if I am ruining my summer only 20 inch pirelli tires buy driving with them on my car in the snow and very cold temps of teens and twentys. I have drove in snow and ice with these tires on my car and have had no problems. The only problem ive had is my steering is not so great when the tires are really cold . Please tell me what eveyone thinks am i going to wreck these tires , does anyone think im nuts for using them lol.
These tires are not intended for this kind of weather. However, whether or not you will wreck or will have an accident is dependent on how good of a driver you are. It is the crux of everything about driving really. The tires ride rough in cold weather as they can be a victim of flat-spotting. There are better tires for driving in snow and ice, but that is entirely your call.
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
i do the thing.... just take easy and avoid hills... i only drive when the MAIN roads are cleared but very wet.....
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluch View Post

why do ppl always think they are smarter than the Engineers at Perelli? they are Summer Performance ONLY tires for a reason....invest in a set of All-season or winter tires or soon your car will be a wreck!

check around this site and you find plenty of threads ranging from small fender benders to completely written off Camaros that were driving in cold weather on the summer tires.
I can't tell if this is full of sarcasm or not...
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
3CamarosOnHand

Drives: 2010 SS/RS ABM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoombatts View Post
better yet if you have a jeep yet put the car in the garage or dont drive it april is only about 85 days away we should be able to drive in ny by then.
3CamarosOnHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #8
bluch
OH CANADA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTSquared View Post
I can't tell if this is full of sarcasm or not...
haha...im being serious, i know a guy here in my town that wrote off his camaro just moviing from him house to storage on the SUMMER tires. and i have read countless threads on here about ppl running into signs or other things will driving on icy roads or cold weather with these tires. it is just not worth it to chance it IMO. spend some money and get some winter/all seasons. you will be glad you did when your car is in tact and not written off or even worse you are seriously injured in an accident.

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
Old 01-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:

Bluch, if the driver recognizes that the summer tires don't perform as well in the cold and snow, and adjusts accordingly. No Problem. It is the drivers that don't adjust that will have the wrecks.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
bluch
OH CANADA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcwby View Post
Bluch, if the driver recognizes that the summer tires don't perform as well in the cold and snow, and adjusts accordingly. No Problem. It is the drivers that don't adjust that will have the wrecks.
true enough. i just personally wouldn't chance wrecking my car hitting some unexpected black ice or trying to go up a hill or something and getting stuck. i would rather spend $1500 on rims and tires and know that my traction will be much better. i adjust my driving for the winter season on my winter tires and have had no problems since the snow hit.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
bluch
OH CANADA!

but then again. i live in a much heavier snow climate than New York. So maybe I am thinking/talking about there being a lot more snow/ice on the roads than you are used to...

Old 01-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #12
Class1E

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcwby View Post
And then you will run into the drivers that didn't adjust and got in wrecks because you can't stop.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #13
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
but then again. i live in a much heavier snow climate than New York. So maybe I am thinking/talking about there being a lot more snow/ice on the roads than you are used to...
I also wonder what kind of traction he would get with summer tires with -40 temperatures.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #14
Cyber_Gray_Autobot

Drives: Camaro 2LT RS
This has nothing to do with driving skills.

It is all about physics and grip. You could be the best driver, be light on the accelerator and even more lighter on the brakes and easily lock up and lose control in snowy/icy conditions with summer performance tires. Even with winter/all season tires you still need to be very cautious.
Cyber_Gray_Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote